PDA

View Full Version : You have won 100 million :)

Pace
12th Oct 2011, 08:19
With the news of another UK couple scooping £100 million on the lottery I thought it would be fun to see how such a win would effect your aviation stable?

I would probably buy my own CJ2plus or one of the other SP small jets for long weekends away, the idea being I could fly it myself without worrying about crews (I might have a co pilot to deal with all the stuff I dont like dealing with :E She must be gorgeous!

I would probably get a Sia Marchetti 260 for fun or I could even buy my own persoanl spitfire? But then a Hawk jet for pretending I am one of the Red arrows would go down well;)
Look at all the stress you would get with all the choices :E
How would a £100 million win effect you especially your aviation ?

Pace

maxred
12th Oct 2011, 08:28
Well after the usual friends/family/charity nonsense, I would..............

Try not to go berserk:eek:

In reality, you would sit pondering. 'which aircraft', have a post on pprune extoling the virtues of every type imaginable, speak to some experts, who would put you off, go back to your personal pref, then haggle a dealer on best price.

The beauty of that type of money is frankly, you no longer worry about anything, including your choice of transport:ok:

Dreaming though, a fractional share in a G6, with a nice house in the Bahamas, and a new G36 sitting in its air cond hanger.:cool:

ExSp33db1rd
12th Oct 2011, 09:01
I'd employ an ex-Flight Engineer to have my Druine Turbulent outside the hangar, pre-flight check complete ( I'd always trust a F/Eng.) started, and engine warm enough when I turned up, so that I could just jump in, wave the chocks away and tell him I'd be back in an hour, go make yourself a cup of coffee.

By the time I've got the bugger started I've lost most of the enthusiasm.

Bliss, and there is a possible candidate available - all I need is the $200 m. NZ $, his present rates are too high - beer isn't cheap.

jas24zzk
12th Oct 2011, 09:05
Something with 1 seat will do me fine, coz i'm a selfish turd. :ok:

Spend the rest on fuel, beer and 'entertainment'

Mariner9
12th Oct 2011, 09:10
maxred, your "which aircraft should I get with £100M to spend" thread might get one or two sensible responses following which someone who clearly hasn't RTFQ would suggest you get a share in something LAA or commend a 30-odd year old PA28 or the equivalent ;).

Think I'd buy a Tucano for starters....

ShyTorque
12th Oct 2011, 09:14
I would charter every time I wanted to fly if only to let someone else take the hassle I've had for the last thirty years or so. ;)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
12th Oct 2011, 09:18
Well obviously a Spitfire 1X, masses of avgas, and a private airfield. The rest I'd waste.

dont overfil
12th Oct 2011, 09:22
I would have a hangar built with remotely operated doors at each end so that I could drive my aircraft in one end and out the other.
The actual aircraft would take a bit more thought.
D.O.

172driver
12th Oct 2011, 09:28
C210 with tip tanks and fly her round the world!

On a more mundane level - NetJets card (obviously the one that goes all the way to a GV or Global Express) - no more scheduled carriers - ever!
:ok:

Ah, it's great to dream........

BarbiesBoyfriend
12th Oct 2011, 09:34
I would commission a firm to build me a de Havilland Hornet from scratch.:ok:

Then spend a lot of time letting other people admire it flying. :)

IO540
12th Oct 2011, 09:42
I would set aside a few M for developing a new GA airfield.

A Netjets ticket would be ideal for the mundane stuff.

Unusual Attitude
12th Oct 2011, 10:03
I would try and get an AOC, no wait, would need a bit more money than that....:}

Pace
12th Oct 2011, 10:10

Shirley the TB20 would have to go? :E could see you in a nice shiny TBM?

You would have enough to pass the JAA exams no sweat for that IR:E

Pace

maxred
12th Oct 2011, 10:21
The biggest question you would have is where to put the cheque from Camelot.

Most of these banker, w..kers, have given me ziltch over the piece, unless you call overcharging on all my accounts, giving me something. So, LLoydsTSB, er no, Bank of Scotland, er no, HSBC, er no and we could go on.

Might just leave the cheque sitting on the mantelpiece until I need it........:mad:

Mind you Mrs Maxred would want the Netjet card to go shopping in Milan. And no she would not let me fly her in my new toy...

strake
12th Oct 2011, 10:34
With the apartment in London, the houses in Nice and Malibu and the Fairline Squadron 78 in the Caribbean, a turbo piston etc would be pointless. Anything else will be too much of a bore to stay current (never mind convert onto) so I think on balance, Netjet here I come. I'm guessing a £1.5m card should keep us going for a few years at least....

Note to self: Meet good fortune halfway..buy a lottery ticket.

IO540
12th Oct 2011, 11:14
Shirley the TB20 would have to go? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif could see you in a nice shiny TBM?

Don't have the mission profile for a TBM at present.

You would have enough to pass the JAA exams no sweat for that IR

I have passed them already... training next.

Re EASA papers for a TBM, I have a list here (http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/tbm850/index.html)

US registered aircraft
No Type Rating is required because the TBM is below 12500lb and is not a turbojet. There is a "High Altitude Endorsement" ground course with 1 flight to simulate explosive depressurisation and oxygen mask use, etc.
FAA prerequisites are: PPL, CPL or ATPL. To be PIC of N-reg TBM you need three endorsements, all of which can be issued by any FAA instructor: High Altitude (all aircraft certified above FL250), High Performance (all aircraft with more than 200 HP per engine), and Complex (all aircraft with retractable gear).
EASA registered aircraft
In EASA-land, no Type Rating is required but there is a Class Rating called: "Aerospatiale S.E.T." (the name will soon be changed to "Aerospatiale TBM").
The Class rating is valid for 2 years and it is mandatory to pass a Class Rating proficiency check to renew the Class Rating every 2 years. This Class Rating can be done by a Class Rating Instructor (CRI); it is not mandatory to do it in a Flight Training Organisation (FTO) but in reality very few CRIs are qualified to do it. After the training, the Check Ride will be done by a Class Rating Examiner (CRE).
JAA prerequisites are: PPL, CPL or ATPL, and an "HPA" (High Performance Airplane") course certificate (which is not needed if one has passed the ATPL exams or holds any ICAO ATPL). The "HPA" course must be done in a Flight Training Organisation (FTO), by a TRI (SPA).
Socata Pilot Training
Socata offer a pilot training package. Socata's initial requirements are: an IR, 500hrs TT as PIC (or P1 if arriving with multi-crew time), a PPL, CPL or an ATPL, and a Class 1 or 2 medical. On EASA registered aircraft, the HPA course completion or theoretical ATPL(A) credit are required.
A typical package is 50hrs of self study, a 4-day ground school, and 4-5 days of flight training normally comprising of 4 flights and a checkride.
An IR is not legally mandatory for either US or EASA registered aircraft, but a TBM does not make any sense without an IR.
In reality, regardless of aircraft registration, the insurance company will require the pilot to have a training certificate and to fly with a safety pilot (an experienced TBM pilot) for 25, 50 or more hours.

Pace
12th Oct 2011, 11:23

Is that the new steed then? Well done on passing the exams :ok:
TBM is an amazing aircraft. I have flown the 700 and 850. The speeds, strength and ability to land at light aircraft speeds (80kts) is a dream.
they are good low level too.

Pace

SEP Flyer
12th Oct 2011, 12:49
Concorde.

And with any change, a TBM850.

maxred
12th Oct 2011, 12:58
Glad to see SEP that your 100 mil would last about 6 weeks with that asset profile:D

SEP Flyer
12th Oct 2011, 13:09
ah, but the memories would last a lifetime! :ok:

AfricanEagle
12th Oct 2011, 14:11
I will buy an airfield and open a flying school for young passionate kids unable to afford to pay for lessons else where. They start in gliders, proceed on taildraggers, then meps, floats, acros and IFR. I'll get professionals to run the place and meanwhile spend my time flying my personal fleet composed of a Cub, T6, PT17, DC3, BE18 and a jet or two.

Pitts2112
12th Oct 2011, 15:28
Having learned from owning a one-hole Pitts, having a single seat airplane can be a lonely and frustrating experience. I was always wishing I could take X up for a flight (X usually equally some lady of the fit and gorgeous type).

So, having won the millions and built a new hangar at Popham or Leicester, I'd fill it with:

Pitts S-2C for the simple and quick access fun plus local airshow performances
Corsair for serious warbirding
Taylorcraft BC-12 for general hooliganism in every farmstrip within 100 miles
The Butler Blackbird currently residing at Broadhead Airfield in Illinois

Plus about a dozen others I've fallen in love with over the years...

all of which just proves the point that no one aircraft will do it all and one really needs a full stable to meet all of one's requirements.

Spit161
12th Oct 2011, 15:36
I'd buy a Tucano, and a Spitfire.
Then I'd keep them at somewhere like Duxford, in their own hanger. Then I'd buy a nice Aston Martin DBS to get to and from the airfield.

'India-Mike
12th Oct 2011, 16:01
Beaver on floats, Vancouver Island. Jetty with nice house attached. Cessna Mustang for a leisurely means of getting there.

Why not move? I'd keep my job....just to rub their noses in it:E

Pilot DAR
12th Oct 2011, 16:07
Shirley the TB20 would have to go?

IO, I did not know that the TB20 was named Shirley! The things you learn on PPRuNe!

If I won the lottery, I would be totally stunned - as I have never bought a ticket!

That said, with unlimited funds, and after the obligatory family responsibilities and buying the necessary EC120, I would take both the ETPS and NTPS flight test pilot's courses!

coldair
12th Oct 2011, 16:10
I would love to buy a smallish boat, perhaps £1,000,000 and drive it all around the uK, stopping off at interesting places.

Following that, I would take it to the Med or Florida, whatever takes my fancy.

Obviously I would put a lot of money into training. Sort of like PPL, then advanced Maritime navigation etc. I'm sure I would enjoy the training ( just as we do when learning to fly )

That's just one of the things that I would love to do with the money, possibly hire a skipper for the first few months to get me up to speed.

Re Aircraft ? Not sure at the moment, Probably wait many months considering my options but a house in a US Aviation Park sounds rather neat. In fact, that may well be my first buy.

Coldair

Human Factor
12th Oct 2011, 16:28
Probably a P-51 and an early Spitfire, kept on my own strip along with a fairly serious tourer. May stay airline flying on a very part-time basis. No doubt I would be tempted by some sort of fractional ownership proposition of a jet but I probably wouldn't use one enough to justify the expense - would just charter when I went on holiday back to the UK. ;)

..... plus the inevitable Yak-52 and -50 to keep the hours down on the warbirds and a J-3 for going to the pub. :}

austerwobbler
12th Oct 2011, 16:54
Have to be a big house with a large runway and hanger next door and plenty of room on the front lawn for aircraft stands, free hanger spaces for select few, oh and a Lysander , Hurricane, Beech Stagerwing, steerman and a Extra for when I am feeling like a hooligan :E

Austerwobbler

Echo Romeo
12th Oct 2011, 17:02
Have to be a big house with a large runway and hanger next door and plenty of room on the front lawn for aircraft stands, free hanger spaces for select few, oh and a Lysander , Hurricane, Beech Stagerwing, steerman and a Extra for when I am feeling like a hooligan http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

Austerwobbler

What, you wouldn't have another Auster or 3? :ok:

EddieHeli
12th Oct 2011, 18:25
Cessna Mustang for going places to play golf. Gazelle helicopter ex military for going to the EAA fly ins and a house at Spruce Creek in Florida with hangar attached to house them both, along with the Bentley Continental GTC.
In fact never mind the lottery I'll start working on the plan this week.

Jan Olieslagers
12th Oct 2011, 18:56
Given my age and limited aviator's capacities, I am little likely to master a bizjet or even a twin turboprop in this life. So first spend the bucks on a nice country estate, along a river if possible, then a roomy plane to fly, ideally an amphibian. Grumman Goose?

Grob Queen
12th Oct 2011, 19:08
Well, all the boring stuff like family and pay my mortgage. Then....

Finish my PPL of course then IMC, Night, and aeros ratings, maybe CPL
Purchase Spitfire,Chipmunk and taildragger flying lessons
Purchase NX611 the Lanc off the Panton brothers (and taxi her for fun)
Load of AVGAS
Oh, and a little run around of a Z3 and Z4!
And stay at work as its fab!!! :ok:

172driver
12th Oct 2011, 20:40
In fact never mind the lottery I'll start working on the plan this week.

That's the spirit !!

:D:ok::D:ok:

Pace
12th Oct 2011, 20:42
And stay at work as its fab!!!

Grob Queen

If you won £100 Million you could buy the place never mind stay at it :E

Pace

stickandrudderman
12th Oct 2011, 20:53
I wouldn't bother buying a plane, boat, car or a helicopter as I'd be too pissed to drive them!:yuk:

mrmum
12th Oct 2011, 21:21
If I won the lottery, I would be totally stunned - as I have never bought a ticket!
Don't you get dodgy junk mail in Canada? I must get a letter every week or so telling me I've won a large cash sum on some foreign lottery which I've never entered. All I need to do to claim my winnings is send them a couple of £k as an admin. fee :ugh:
I don't buy tickets either, as someone once said "The Lottery - a tax on people who don't understand maths" ;)

Jan Olieslagers
12th Oct 2011, 21:24
I wouldn't bother buying a plane, boat, car or a helicopter as I'd be too pissed to drive them!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/pukey.gif

Sadly unfit to the lifestyle of the wealthy. Either you HAVE yourself driven or you bribe the interfering policeperson or, more effective, their boss.

PompeyPaul
12th Oct 2011, 21:51
It'd definitely be helicopters. Even then I'd wonder if 100Mill would be enough to get the ppl(h) done in the UK!

Pace
12th Oct 2011, 22:03
Well as the racing driver Eddie Irvine said

" If It flies Floats or Flucks rent dont buy!" he probably had a lot of sense in all three areas :E As many of us have probably found out to our cost!!!

Marry one of the scores of babes who would be falling at your feet with your £100 mill and the flucks bit would cost you £50 mill

Probably cheaper to restore and get your own personal Concorde flying and at least that Bird will break the sound barrier ;) Mind you the other Bird would also break the sound barrier enroute to the divorce courts :E

Pace

stiknruda
12th Oct 2011, 22:12
easy!

First things would be a secondhand teleporter and a new Bobcat skid-steer!

Three new Pitts S2C's and commission 3 scratch rebuilt Vought Corsairs. I reckon I could keep that going with the interest. Why 3? - So my formation team could have a spare of each variety!

I'd have a turbine Beech A36 just for going places and a J3 Cub "to take folk flying".

I'd buy the neighbouring two farms and raise more prime beef for a challenge.

As for cars - with the interest I could have a new one every month - no hassle with MOT's or taxdiscs!

Did see a fantastic property in Italy in this week's ST - that might necessitate a capital outlay and a EC135!

But I reckon, I'm a pretty lucky guy already!

Stik

thing
12th Oct 2011, 23:20
Do the usual, set the kids up, laugh at the begging letters, have the wife lightly killed (no divorce settlement) then buy a Lear Jet with a crew to fly it as I'd be in the back with the blondes quaffing Bolly.

J.A.F.O.
12th Oct 2011, 23:35
Husky
Another Husky, this time on floats
WACO Biplane
Hurricane

Get a Sunderland back in the air

I'd need another win by then.

AdamFrisch
14th Oct 2011, 00:14
Easy.

A P180 Avanti for my business travels.
An Extra 500 for my short haul, short field travels.
A Dornier Seastar for my exploring needs.
A Sikorsky S-76D as my heli.

100 mil gone.

Morris542
14th Oct 2011, 10:47
I'd have to pay off my student loan first...

To be honest, £100m is nearly enough to afford a place on an integrated ATPL course.

Might get an Me109, just to be different.

pitofrost
14th Oct 2011, 12:20
The third seat on a Soyuz to the ISS and then a quarter share in a Spaceship 2

And then the rest of the change on 30 minutes on the 1973 C150 I fly at the moment....

fattony
14th Oct 2011, 12:58
The beauty of that type of money is frankly, you no longer worry about anything

Except that with the fragility of the banks at the moment you could easily lose it all. That would be a bit of a worry. Or you could spend many months opening over a thousand bank accounts to keep the balance of each one under the UK Govt's guarantee of £85k.

Although I guess with that kind of money you could employ someone to do it for you.

Pace
14th Oct 2011, 13:38
Fattony

At 85K guaranteed you would have to to have around 1100 banks accounts to cover that sum.
Presuming the fact that why bother to invest the money as you wouldnt need more! You could just have debit cards :E dont think my wallet would hold 1100 debit cards on a night out never mind remembering 1100 pins for the cards ;)

Pace

J.A.F.O.
14th Oct 2011, 20:27
AE
I will buy an airfield and open a flying school for young passionate kids unable to afford to pay for lessons else where
Is there any chance that, when you do, you could be quite flexible with your definition of young and kid.

Cheers. :ok:

sapperkenno
14th Oct 2011, 21:40
I will buy an airfield and open a flying school for young passionate kids unable to afford to pay for lessons else where

I'd second that, and open it to "underprivileged" kids... The sort that have a passion for flying, a reasonable aptitude etc. No regard would be given whatsoever to what their parents do for work, their background (within reason) academic results, state/public school or any other nonsense. The kids would be trained to PPL level, and then given further training and experience on proper stick and rudder types, with a view to operating such aircraft in a competent manner and spreading the GA gospel. So we'd have a few Supercubs for that purpose, and maybe a Jungmann, Great Lakes or Pitts thrown in for advanced stuff.

To answer the opening question though...

I'd buy;
i, A (the - is there still only one?!) LoPresti Fury. {Google it, it's badass)
ii, A P-51D
iii, Spit Mk9
iv, Focke-Wulf Fw 190
v, A U2 would be nice, but that's pushing it.
vi A BAC Lightning T5
vii, Some variant of Harrier, probably an AV8B.

Biffo Blenkinsop
14th Oct 2011, 22:28
Except that with the fragility of the banks at the moment you could easily lose it all

In which case it would be a very sober and prudent move to convert the money into aircraft :ok:

IO540
15th Oct 2011, 11:52
If you think banks (apart from the few German and French ones which lent billions to Greece so it could in turn spend the dosh on buying up overpriced German and French military hardware) are going to go bust, you may be well advised to buy up some of the ex-1945 gold still sitting in some Swiss banks ;)

Not suggesting that 100M would get you very far into that project ;)

sablatnic
15th Oct 2011, 20:53
Hard question. Maybe a Porterfield or an Auster, nothing fancy, I'm living in a small country.
Oh yes, and keep the farm for as long as the money lasts.