PDA

View Full Version : Sim Ride: For Fun?

charliegolf
11th Oct 2011, 21:07
I'm between validations at the mo, and will probably leave it that way 'til next spring for various reasons.

However, birthday just gone, was nagged a susual for what to get me. On a whim, and out of character, I suggested cash, which I'd use for some sightseeing dual. No Probs.

Since then, an ad in a mag has suggested a sim session, and I might be convinced.

Any advice? I have about £200 to spend. Ta.

CG

Fuji Abound
12th Oct 2011, 06:53
What sort of sim? What do you want to get from it - is it pure fun on a cat or something else?

A and C
12th Oct 2011, 07:23
You can do my next sim check for free if you like, I find no pleasure in my six monthly visits to the hydraulic box.

I am not the only holder of this view thirty years or so back British Airways News ran a story about the sadness in the company that the VC10 sim was being withdrawn from service? In the letters page of the next edition of BA news a former VC10 captain offered a months pay to be able to set fire to the VC10 sim!!

Exascot
12th Oct 2011, 08:53
You can do my next sim check for free if you like

My sentiments exactly. You can fly thousands and thousands of hours in the air with very few problems. As soon as you get into a sim everything seems to go wrong. It's just not realistic :{

172driver
12th Oct 2011, 09:32
As soon as you get into a sim everything seems to go wrong.

That wouldn't be due to the smiling gentleman sitting at the console behind you, would it? :E

Exascot
12th Oct 2011, 09:51
That wouldn't be due to the smiling gentleman sitting at the console behind you, would it?

I always suspected this but they seem like really nice guys when you have been having a beer with them the night before :confused:

Unusual Attitude
12th Oct 2011, 09:59
I had a 30min slot in the Tornado sim at Leuchars prior to it being removed, that was quite a bit of fun and wasn’t as tricky to fly / land as I'd imagined.
I did of course have to try the obligatory Supersonic pass under the Forth Road and Rail bridges which the console operator had only seen about 1000 times before! :rolleyes:

737/A320 sim or similar only has limited appeal for me unless I'm allowed to try aeros in it... :E

mad_jock
12th Oct 2011, 10:16
You can laugh about the sim's crashing. They bloody do.

That old heap of crap that used to be at woodford used to drop down the front jacks and extend the rear. The visuals would continue doing what it thought the aircraft would be doing while the moving bit was doing its own thing.

You would smack your head off the glare shield and then shut your eyes to try and not to spew your guts.

After lots alot swearing from the back things would reset themselves. Trick was to keep your eye's shut until you were told at least three times that things were back to normal. And never ever have your seat belt undone or inertia reel unlocked when the hydraulics were on.

And personally I wouldn't bother going to the sim. Personally I would go and have an hour and half in a taildragger. Much much more fun. Either that or 200 quid would get you a load of gliding.

rn750
12th Oct 2011, 13:28
For just over £250, I can highly recommend the Ultimate High Chipmunk at Kemble. The best hour's flying I've ever had..

Proper aviation..!! fantastic plane, great Instructor 'John' and a well managed operation.. I still haven't stopped smiling..:):):):):):):):)

Vouchers for xmas Please..!!

Adie.