PDA

View Full Version : Light aircraft crash - Upwood

Martyn Northall
11th Oct 2011, 08:36
Does anyone have any more details on this accident? I live in the village and was home all of Saturday (having a rest after passing my PPL skills test the day before!) - yet wasn't aware of this until I stumbled across the article this morning. It was pretty horrible weather that day - low cloud-base, strong winds, rain etc.

A LIGHT aircraft plunged 100 feet from the sky to crash in a field in Upwood on Saturday.

A Magpas Helimedix team attended the scene to treat a man in his late 60s after the crash, which happened at about 4.45pm.
The team helped to remove the man from the aircraft and then treated him before taking him to Hinchingbrooke Hospital, where his condition was described as satisfactory and stable.

Aircraft crashes in Upwood - Latest News - Hunts Post (http://www.huntspost.co.uk/news/latest-news/aircraft_crashes_in_upwood_1_1084866)

Thanks
Martyn

Ds3
11th Oct 2011, 10:54
I'm surprised anyone was flying on Saturday, I was supposed to be taking a Robin out of Sibson at 4pm but cancelled due to the cloud base being at 800 ft, constant drizzle and gusty winds. Not a good day for flying.

Given the location I wonder if this was out of Conington?

Martyn Northall
11th Oct 2011, 11:37
Given the location I wonder if this was out of Conington? I'm based at Conington and have spoken to one of the instructors in the last 24 hours, no mention has been made of the crash, so I don't think its anything out of there.

There is a very active glider site behind my house, on the site of RAF Upwood, but I can't imagine they'd have been even contemplating flying in those conditions.

Bit of a mystery it seems!

Duckeggblue
11th Oct 2011, 14:25
This one ?
Pilot survives airfield crash landing - Local - Peterborough Evening Telegraph (http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/local/pilot_survives_airfield_crash_landing_1_3138037)

Martyn Northall
11th Oct 2011, 15:05
Thanks, that looks like the one! A C152 by the looks of it?

appeared to lose power shortly after take-off.Apart from the odd powered glider, I wasn't aware of any SEPs using the gliding strip (its only about 100m from my front door). Its a pretty lengthy runway with nice fields at either end, but I still wouldn't have fancied a flight in those conditions.

Intercepted
11th Oct 2011, 15:07
I'm surprised anyone was flying on Saturday

Not all of UK had bad weather on Saturday. I for one was flying and with an IMC rated airplane and experienced pilot I can't see the problem with a takeoff in 800ft cloudbase. It was very unfortunate he had an EFATO, but it seems he handled it well.

thing
11th Oct 2011, 15:17
I've flown in and out of Upwood in the last couple of months, wasn't aware it wasn't used a lot by light aircraft. I had a bit of a sharp intake of breath when I read the topic as one of our club members flies down there regularly. (It's not him.)

Martyn Northall
11th Oct 2011, 15:23
I've only ever seen a few non-glider aircraft come anywhere near Upwood in the past ten years or so (below a few thousand feet), and I've always tended to stay away from it when flying due to the very regular gliding activity.

Thing, what aircraft do you fly? Do you just contact the gliding club prior to flying here?

thing
11th Oct 2011, 15:49
C172 amongst other things, the chap in the interview with the Peterborough paper has a share in it. He glides from Upwood, as far as I know he visits fairly regularly with it.

Ds3
11th Oct 2011, 16:10
Not all of UK had bad weather on Saturday. I for one was flying and with an IMC rated airplane and experienced pilot I can't see the problem with a takeoff in 800ft cloudbase.

I meant in the locale and in relation to VFR aircraft, obviously there would have been some aircraft flying somewhere in the UK :rolleyes:

Sibson is only a few miles from this crash, and the weather there was not suitable for most light aircraft activities.

172 rather than 152 I believe - looks like G-AWMP based in Suffolk, as is the pilot according to that article.

Intercepted
11th Oct 2011, 17:38
...obviously there would have been some aircraft flying somewhere in the UK :rolleyes:

Yes, but I made the comment in relation to an aircraft (such as the accident one) taking off in IMC with a planned destination in VMC.

skua
12th Oct 2011, 15:16
Thing

the chap in the interview does not have a share in 'MP.

thing
12th Oct 2011, 23:07
the chap in the interview does not have a share in 'MP.

? Never said he did, he has a share in the C172 that I fly.

skua
13th Oct 2011, 14:21
Thing, ah so. Sorry. you will know why he was on the airfield then.