PDA

View Full Version : AvGas to be Outlawed in CA?

cheemsaf
6th Oct 2011, 02:46
Any thoughts to the article below?

California Avgas Lawsuit on Temporary Hold

AINalerts » October 4th, 2011 by Curt Epstein
October 4, 2011, 3:40 PM

After hearing arguments for more than two hours yesterday, a California Federal Judge has postponed until next week any preliminary rulings on a legal actions barring the sale of avgas in the state. In May, the public advocacy group Center for Environmental Health (CEH), citing the hazards of lead emissions, issued Notices of Violation to many California FBOs, fuel distributors and producers under the state law known as Proposition 65, which evaluates and regulates public exposure to hazardous chemicals. Proposition 65 allows a private party, as well as the state, to sue for enforcement in state court. Using it, the environmental group is demanding an immediate cessation of the sale of leaded avgas and the payment of significant financial penalties ranging up to $1.3 billion for each company named in the violations. In response to this potentially crippling litigation, the California Avgas Coalition, an industry group, has filed a motion for an injunction prohibiting the CEH from filing suit over the sale of avgas in the state. The CEH and California’s Attorney General have in turn asked the court to dismiss the motion. According to NATA, which is assisting the Coalition in the matter, the judge has requested additional material from both sides by October 12, and promised to then deliver a ruling on the motion to dismiss.

cwatters
6th Oct 2011, 07:03
The Future of Avgas by EPI, Inc. (http://www.epi-eng.com/aircraft_engine_products/demise_of_avgas.htm)

IO540
6th Oct 2011, 09:22
Is that article truthful?

It is interesting to note that "100-Low-Lead" actually contains more than FOUR TIMES the lead which was in Sunoco-260, one of the highest-octane fuels ever produced for street-use automobiles.

I don't believe that. What was the octane rating of the old UK 5-star petrol?

There is now only one factory in the world which produces TEL;

That one is often repeated....

bingofuel
6th Oct 2011, 11:01
What was the octane rating of the old UK 5-star petrol?

I think the old 5 star was 101 octane rating.

Pilot DAR
6th Oct 2011, 11:05
The reference to "low lead" in 100LL is derived from the dramatic reduction in lead over the older 100/130 (green) Avgas (which I think was allowed to have four times the amount that 100LL was permitted).

If the environmental activists in California want to prevent the health risks associated with completely unnecessary airborne pollutants, perhaps they should seek to entirely band cigarettes.

IO540
6th Oct 2011, 11:20
I think the old 5 star was 101 octane rating

Yes; I thought it was about 100 octane, so the statement in that article

It is interesting to note that "100-Low-Lead" actually contains more than FOUR TIMES the lead which was in Sunoco-260, one of the highest-octane fuels ever produced for street-use automobiles.

has to be bollox, since all these products use TEL to get the octane rating.

The reference to "low lead" in 100LL is derived from the dramatic reduction in lead over the older 100/130 (green) Avgas (which I think was allowed to have four times the amount that 100LL was permitted).

It has gone further. I got a circular email from the FAA the other day, certifying a hypothetical reduced-lead avgas 100LL as OK, because real-world avgas 100LL already contains TEL at the very bottom of the permitted range, and no safety issues have been seen.

Mariner9
6th Oct 2011, 11:28
The "bottom of the permitted range" for TEL is zero - the spec for 100LL is 0.56gPb/l maximum, there's no minimum specified.

The "Low" lead is by comparison to Avgas 100, which has a max TEL content of 0.85gPb/l

The octane numbers of mogas and avgas are not comparable - a 100 octane road fuel would fall well short of avgas 100LL octane specs.

mm_flynn
6th Oct 2011, 11:43
I believe the pump octane number shown in Europe is RON, this is similar to the aviation rich octane number (the second number in 100/130), so 100ll avgas is much higher octane than motor gas.

thing
6th Oct 2011, 14:04
Environmental activists are very active in California.

Hence the name.........:)

I'll get my coat.

poorjohn
6th Oct 2011, 16:05
If the environmental activists in California want to prevent the health risks associated with completely unnecessary airborne pollutants, perhaps they should seek to entirely band cigarettes. Not that the comment or my reply have anything to do with aviation, but for the record almost no one in California smokes now anyway. A few teens still showing off, a few diehards. Very rare.

cheemsaf
17th Oct 2011, 16:18
Well, looks like there may be a replacement to LL fuel making its way through the FAA certification process right now. From what I'm hearing in these two clips, it's a true replacement for our current engines that's UL. Thanks GAMI :ok:

Aero-TV: GAMI's G100UL Fuel - The Future Of GA Fuels? - YouTube

AVweb's G100UL Flight Test - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEo1wz8ORdk&feature=player_embedded#)!