PDA

View Full Version : Lots of White 747's in Manchester

What_does_this_button_do?
1st Jun 2001, 15:17
I'm in Manchester today but I couldn't help notice 3 or 4 white 747's as we came into the gate - anyone know the story about these? - Are these on the way to storage?

- no I'm not a spotter!

Scottie Dog
1st Jun 2001, 17:29
The 3 white 747s all belong to the Icelandic airline Air Atlanta. They are on lease to various UK airlines for the summer season, mostly as backup aircraft. There is also 1 747 in another variation of their clour scheme with a green tail with a 'viking helmet styled A' on it. One of the white 747's actually has a very thin cheatline which is reminisent (can't spell) of the Air 2000 cheat.

Scottie Dog

What_does_this_button_do?
1st Jun 2001, 21:02
Thanks Scottie.

Buttons

G-BPEC
2nd Jun 2001, 11:52
Scottie,

I think that one belongs to Air Atlanta who have a cheatline very similar to Air 2000 on their Tri Star/747 fleet.

G-BPEC

Scottie Dog
2nd Jun 2001, 13:43
G-BPEC

As I said, they all belong to Air Atlanta, and 1 has a cheatline similar to Air 2000. I forgot that this line does also appear on some of their L-1011s.

Just goes to prove that I am not the 'spotter' that I was in my youth; the days of KLM Viscount's in Flying Dutchman colours and the like. Gave of that side of life a long time ago, but still can not get rid of the inquisitive mind when I seem something or hear something new.

To all those total flyers, please pardon my reminiscing - age has its advantages!

Scottie Dog

chiglet
2nd Jun 2001, 23:53
Buttons
As has been said, these a/c are Air Atlanta.
They are used as "ad hoc" sub charters, as well as "standard" Charter flights.
EG, A "Blogs" 757 goes u/s, and the airline is lookig at 4-6 hours delay, minimum. The Atlanta a/c "could" be away in 3-4 hours. Keeps the SLF happy
our aim is to please [keeps the cleaners happy]

------------------
chiglet

[This message has been edited by chiglet (edited 02 June 2001).]

Iain
3rd Jun 2001, 00:53
The true stories behind these all white 747's!

Virgin and British Airways to Merge

This afternoon Virgin Airways (including Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Express and Virgin Blue) and British Airways announced they would be merging. Branson said ‘With United and US Airways merger coming together and TWA being bought out by American, we felt like we needed to do something and do it fast’

The new merger will be called ‘British Virgins’ this came from combining the 4 company (British Airways and the 3 Virgins) names. British Airways CEO Mr. Edington said this evening ‘We wanted a name that was catchy and that people would like’, he then went on and said ‘After the disastrous failure of the world liveries, we needed something that would definitely work and would be appreciated all over the world. We are still deciding on the livery however we think we are going with a plain white scheme’ Branson added ‘It will not have any titles on it, I am sure everyone will know who we are (British Virgins) with just a white body.’

The route structure will be remaining the same for the most part. There are plans to add one daily flight to KBED using the Concorde. So British Virgins would be going to BED faster then anyone. Edington added ‘The Concorde is perfect for this flight. BED is one of those places you need to get to quick, and British Virgins will get you in BED faster then anyone else!’

There are many changes that you will notice. ‘Our slogan is also changing to ‘The happiest place in the sky’. Edington said, he also added ‘You will also see a change in the logo we are thinking of making it a smiley face, as everyone will be happy with British Virgins.’ There are also plans to change the interior of the aircraft to match the school uniform that is incorporated in British States Schools. Branson went on to say ‘I have always been a fan a school uniforms; we feel it fits our image.’

Rumour also has it that there are talks going on with Stelios Haji loanou from Easyjet about them merging as well. Neither Edington, nor Branson would comment at this time, however Branson said laughing ‘If it does happen our name would then be ‘Easy British Virgins’. Joking aside if what if this does happen and they also merge up with Keen Air out of Liverpool then they would become ‘Keen Easy British Virgins’!

All these changes should be in place by the busy summer schedule. Branson’s closing words where ‘British Virgins is going into the market, with a bang!’

Copyright 2001 Iain Holmes

chiglet
3rd Jun 2001, 02:46
Virgin on the ridiculous, more like :)

[This message has been edited by chiglet (edited 02 June 2001).]

Captain Airclues
3rd Jun 2001, 15:41
Scottie Dog

You and I probably stood together on the footpath that used to run across the threshold of 24 from the Airport Hotel in the early 60's. Used to wait for the 312 from Toronto before going to school (BA644, ETA 07:10, but never on time) Ahh Happy Days.

Anorak Airclues

Scottie Dog
4th Jun 2001, 02:40
Captain Airclues

Right era, but wrong end of the runway!

Use to cadge a coffee from the airport security guy who worked the traffic crossing point at 06 - not the police hut, but the one which is now Link AF. Those were the days indeed. Dan-Air Ambassadors and all sorts of Viking operators - even Mercury Herons and Daks, I could go on for ever!

Scottie Dog

Code Blue
4th Jun 2001, 02:58
Airclues & Scotty,

Did you pay sixpence to go and stand at the end of the International Pier? With CAM in hand and cheap trannie with the Air Band so you could hear them hand over to Preston and then Shannon?

It was still called Ringway then.

Removes anorak hastily and disappears into snow drift..... :rolleyes:

------------------
-.-- --.- -..-
[email protected]
edited 'cos my computer can't spell

[This message has been edited by Code Blue (edited 03 June 2001).]

Pdub
5th Jun 2001, 01:21
chiglet et al, presumably the other advantage of a sub-chrter, is that if Bloggs Air 757 goes u/s and its going to take 5-6 hours to fix.

You fix the plane but its going to be 6 hours late for a loooooong time, ie at every sector from then on until you can make up the time. now charter airlines really don't like their aircraft on the ground, so the chance of having 6 hours slack anytime this week is slim.

Also throws all crew rest and duty time problems into the fray.

Instead get someone else to fly 'em, fix the plane, and back on schedule with your own aircraft in say 12 hours. Whilst happy punters "oooo look at all the spare seats" are grateful you have chartered probably the most recnognisable aircraft flying for the average punter.