PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing an aircraft...why, what, which...

Brachetta
5th Oct 2011, 14:17
Dear fellows airmen;

I am considering purchasing my first aircraft and I am looking at a LSA Aeroprakt A22 with Rotax 912 ULS 100 HP

At the moment I pay around 110 euros/hour for rental. Planning to fly 300 hours/year approx...if not more

The price of the aircraft is around 60,000 euros.
Yearly fix cost is around 3000 euros (1000euros/year hangar + 1000 euros/year insurance + 500 euros x 2 services - 1 each 100 hs) 1000 euros
Cost of hour (fuel, oil, miscellanea) I calculated 16 euros based on colleagues comments.

I wonder also how much the aircraft holds value when reselling (eventually)

I want the plane to practice, do locals, get better, keep active and because I simply love flying this thing and offers me the best compromise between performance and cost. Also basically because is the only plane I am able to afford right now.
Note that other than LSA is extremely restricted here in the UAE so the Aeroprakt would be the logical chice for my reality.

Does any of you have done a similar analisis and perhaps went through a more knowledgeable decision process?
Words of encouragement or simply a valid opinion to help me out on this would be great.

Thanks a lot everyone and keep ‘em coming.

FB

funfly
5th Oct 2011, 21:29
I don't have an aircraft now but remember that in 2004-5 my fixed costs were more in the region of £10,000 per annum. (in the UK)
I would highly recommend that you share the aircraft with another person. It's not the cost but owning and flying your own aircraft can be a lonely business and there are times (many times) when you need to share worries, concerns and experiences. If you do your own maintenance a second body is invaluable and it is very nice when you are flying regularly if you know that someone else has done the checks as well - you can get into bad habits if you are the only one who ever does the routine checks.
Having said that, it is soooo nice climbing into your aircraft when the seats are as you left them, the cockpit clean, and it's all just as you want it.

Brachetta
6th Oct 2011, 05:44
Hi Funfly, thanks for your input.
The yearly cost can be broken down to:
In Dirhams

- Hangar: 5,000AED
- Insurance: 5,000AED
- 4 x 100 hours checks @ 2,000 AED: 8,000AED
- 50 hours of general repair (4h/month roughly) @ 100AED/hour: 5,000
- Spare parts, miscellanea: 7,000AED
- TOTAL: 30,000AED= 6,000Euros
-
I wouldn’t really consider sharing a plane for couple reasons: I don’t really know so much anybody who flies here. A plane is a robust but sensitive machine that needs more than love and care, I couldn’t be bothered liaising with anyone to see who did what on it.

Also, I am honestly not good at sharing, simply. I don’t even really like my dear wife to drive my car so much, and I can see myself going crazy if the interiors are dirty/torn or something hasn’t been maintained properly.
Call me whatever, but this is a personality thing and I know myself to the point of accepting that I won’t really enjoy a share of a plane.
If we were talking of a C172 I might have considered it, as it would be impossible for me to get one on my own.

The idea of getting the A22 came because I just find almost impossible get my hands on one of the club units on weekends, as they are flying instruction during the best hours and are not free to be taken on 3 – 4 hours fly. Oh! The freedom of deciding when to fly!

Anyhow the missus supports me as long as I use my funds…now is up to me to decide putting the monies in one or I might as well just continue renting and daydreaming….

Would be great to hear about experiences/satisfactions/regrets to help me make up my mind…

Thanks guys!

FB

funfly
6th Oct 2011, 09:27
I wouldn’t really consider sharing a plane for couple reasons: I don’t really know so much anybody who flies here. A plane is a robust but sensitive machine that needs more than love and care, I couldn’t be bothered liaising with anyone to see who did what on it.
I'm exactly the same which is why I owned my aircraft (3 overall) myself.
My last aircraft change I had a choice between a 3 year old permit all glass construction with a glass instrument panel - total glamour aircraft, and a PA28 a lot older. I chose the all glass model but wish I had gone for a regular PA28. Reasons for this are simply that everyone knows about a PA28, how they fly, how they engineer etc and they have a fairly fixed resale value. With a 'special' aircraft you just don't have this wealth of experience.
Good luck with your choice. I have to admit that the most FUN I had out of flying was my first three-axis microlight !

letpmar
6th Oct 2011, 09:36
Hi

I think the microlight or vla route is a good one to go I operate GA aircraft for my bussiness but have built and fly a Sportcruiser for my fun flying. You can do a lot more if your not always thinking how much it costs. I think as has been said a group can offer a lot but if you can afford it having your own aircraft has its appeal as well. Why not look at just a group of two. 300 hours per year is a lot for one person you might find you do not do that then the fixed costs start to build up. I have done a little flying in the UAE (Umm Al Quwain) when it was open and am in Dubai again in Feb 2012 if you want to chat over things. The best of luck with whatever you decide.

Pete

Brachetta
6th Oct 2011, 10:21
Thanks for the advice Funfly...3axis are good fun indeed. The A22 is even more than simply a micro. A true LSA with decent performance with the always reliable Rotax ULS working on auto gas...and here petrol is still cheap :ok:

As I said before, my idea is to have fun, fly a lot, take the missus and my daughter for a spin, get better and learn more and more with the hours. My intention has never been becoming a fighter pilot and my dreams of airline captain are long gone...so I just want to fly for the pleasure of being high up.

Will keep on doing some math...:8

Brachetta
6th Oct 2011, 10:34
Hi Pete.

300 is a lot...true, just put that down in order of overshoot a bit costs and not fall short.
Realistically I might be doing plus minus 4 hs/week....so I will be rounding 200 year. That, at 80 Euros/hour rental price, gives you 16,000 euros/year...and flying whenever the plane is free.

Questions...questions...too many question my friend...
Please email me when you arrive in UAE or PM me and we get together and do some flying. My email is Brachetta (at) gmail.com

Cheers
Fabian