PDA

View Full Version : NPPL SLMG - Adding the SSEA Rating

kevkdg
4th Oct 2011, 11:12
Hi,

I have an NPPL(A) with SLMG rating.

I have just over 100 hours total time and am considering the addition of the SSEA rating.

According to the NPPL website, this is simply differences training with a flight instructor (need not be an examiner), which is then signed off in my log book, which once sent to the NPPL people will give me the SSEA rating.

As this is not ab-initio training, is there any cheaper alternative than flying schools. For example, can it be done in a privately owned aircraft with a qualified flight instructor?

If so, anyone near Leeds willing to give me a quote.

Ta

Genghis the Engineer
4th Oct 2011, 11:41
You are correct.

However, what you do need is an aeroplane in which to do the training.

If you are using a club aeroplane, approved for training, you are almost certainly best off doing it with a club instructor who knows it and has all the framework around them. This is what you're likely to want to do if you are going to rent club aeroplanes anyhow.

If you are buying a share in an aeroplane (CofA or Permit), then pick your share, buy it, and get an instructor in to do your training up on that aeroplane - which is perfectly legal and generally most syndicates would be happy about that so long as it's notified to the insurer and you pay any increase - which is likely to be small.

Doing the training in a private aeroplane (PtF or a CofA not maintained to the standards required for training) will get problematic legally I'm afraid, unless you own all or part of it.

Also you have a PM.

G

kevkdg
4th Oct 2011, 11:50
Great, thanks for the info.

When i have enquired at a couple of flying schools, they seem to maintain that I'll need to do the differences training PLUS a GFT/GST with an examiner. The NPPL website states no such requirement.

Genghis the Engineer
4th Oct 2011, 11:55
Great, thanks for the info.

When i have enquired at a couple of flying schools, they seem to maintain that I'll need to do the differences training PLUS a GFT/GST with an examiner. The NPPL website states no such requirement.

For reasons I confess that I don't quite understand, somebody with an NPPL(M) does need GST & NST + one ground exam, whilst somebody with an NPPL(SLMG) does not. Presumably the ground exam content is already in the NPPL(SLMG) but I can't for the life of me work out why a microlight pilot needs a separate skills test whilst a motorglider pilot does not.

Also apparently the microlight pilot (who already did this in his NPPL(M) ) needs two hours of stall & spin awareness training, whilst the SLMG pilot does not - they of-course also did that training.

However, that's just how it is.

The rules are here (http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence.co.uk/PDFs/NPPL%20XC%20REV%2009.pdf) incidentally, although you probably knew that already.

G

Whopity
4th Oct 2011, 13:17
they seem to maintain that I'll need to do the differences training PLUS a GFT/GST with an examiner. The NPPL website states no such requirement. Because they are referring to the ANO Article 66 (2)(a) which does not concur. Unless the CAA issue an exemption, the ANO is what the schools will comply with.

B4aeros
4th Oct 2011, 14:06
Because they are referring to the ANO Article 66 (2)(a) which does not concur. Unless the CAA issue an exemption, the ANO is what the schools will comply with. Article 66 doesn't apply to NPPL ratings.

Whopity
4th Oct 2011, 16:08
You are quite right, its Art 69

good finish
4th Oct 2011, 16:26
Where did you do your slmg?
If it was at a gliding club then they may also have a two seat tug
All you need then is a class rating instructor - most clubs have one.
The bonus is then you can do some tugging subject to club rules/requirements.
Members rates usually cheaper than commercial alternative.

kevkdg
4th Oct 2011, 19:09
SLMG done at Wolds Gliding Club, Pocklington, but I am no longer a member there, currently at York Gliding Club, Rufforth. They have 2 x Pawnee's, no two seaters.

Genghis the Engineer
4th Oct 2011, 20:37
You are quite right, its Art 69

69 (1) Subject to paragraph (2), the holder of a United Kingdom Licence, a JAR-FCL Licence
or a National Private Pilot's Licence (Aeroplanes) is not entitled to exercise the privileges of any rating specified in Section 2 of Part B of Schedule 7 which is included in the licence unless:
(a) the licence includes a certificate of revalidation for the rating; and
(b) the certificate is issued and valid in accordance with Section 3 of Part C of Schedule 7.

Presumably both (a) and (b) are done by the CAA / NPPLCo when they receive evidence that the pilot has....

NPPL (SLMG) or UK PPL (A) SLMG to NPPL (SSEA)
The holder of a valid NPPL with SLMG Class Rating or UK PPL (A) SLMG who wishes to obtain a SSEA Class Rating shall:

a. Produce the NPPL or UK PPL (A) SLMG;

b. Produce log book evidence of having satisfactorily completed SSEA conversion training with a FI(A) or CRI(SPA) on single-engine piston aeroplanes;

c. Hold a valid NPPL Medical Declaration or JAA Class 1 or 2 medical certificate.

As required by the document on the NPPL website.

Still nothing I can see anywhere about a GST and NST. Seems to me that the flying school simply didn't look it up properly and assumed that the rules were the same as for a microlight pilot - which they've probably had to look up before.

An understandable mistake, but they were still wrong.

G

BEagle
4th Oct 2011, 21:25
This topic has been done to death on many an occasion!

There is no requirement for a GST for the holder of an NPPL with an SLMG Class Rating adding an SSEA to his/her NPPL. However, the individual who countersigns the application signs to the effect that the applicant meets the same standard as would normally be demonstrated on a GST.

The CAA are quite happy with this - and there is no evidence that it needs to change.