PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Low Temp

A-3TWENTY
4th Oct 2011, 10:51
In case of fuel low temp( A330) is it an operational procedure mannually tranfer fuel from the outboard tanks to the inboard ones , to mix fuel and thus avoiding change level?

9.G
4th Oct 2011, 11:52
Fuel low temp warning is meaningless if you don't know the applicable freezing point of the loaded fuel. If not determined from the fuel sheet then you go with the figures written in the FCOM. This procedure is applicable for JET A only as far as I recall. :ok:

gblen
5th Oct 2011, 04:35
Jet A has freeze point of -40 as far as FCOM is concerned. Off the top of my head Jet A1 is 43. Can remember exactly as every second flight we do is ex USA so its always JetA as far as our operation is concerned

Transfer from outer to inner raises it enough usually. See it about a dozen times a year. Ecam is outer to inner transfer

MD83FO
5th Oct 2011, 05:03
i believe engine type comes into play as well when it comes to determining the min acceptable fuel temp.

Green Guard
5th Oct 2011, 06:14
Ecam is outer to inner transfer

Sounds strange.
Unless Inner means Center fuel tank.
Any wing fuel inner or outer is similar temp.
Also by using outer, you may change wing load limits !

9.G
5th Oct 2011, 07:15
FUEL LOW TEMP ECAM CAUTION:
This caution appears, as soon as the inner tank temperature is less than -37 °C, or outer or trim tank temperature is less than -40 °C. However, at this threshold: Crew action is required for JET A FUEL only, and no crew action is required for other fuel types. For all other fuel types: This caution will automatically be recalled, if the temperature reaches -44 °C (inner tank temp), or -47 °C (outer or trim tank temp). Regardless of the fuel type, the flight crew may consider delaying application of the rest of procedure, until reaching the minimum fuel temperature specific to their fuel type Refer to LIM-28 Fuel Temperature.
FUEL FREEZE PT....................................CHECK. In other words the actual FFP might be different e.g. lower due to additives etc. :ok:

RunSick
5th Oct 2011, 07:16
Inner and outer tank are not similar temp. Inner is used for cooling the generators and therefore is kept warmer then the outer.

A-3TWENTY
5th Oct 2011, 09:22
Runsick is correct.

There is a big diference between both tanks.

I know there is a diference in fuel freezing temps acording to the fuel used.

In case of JET A-1 is -47ºC.

My question was: Supose that we had the ECAM , disregarded because my freezing point is -47.

At some point , it reached , minus 47ºC. Instead of increasing speed , lowering one level , etc, may I only manually transfer fuel from the outers to the inners?

Thanks for your answers.

gblen
6th Oct 2011, 15:15
Green guard... 3 wing tanks of the Airbus. Outer, towards wing tip. Inner, between outer and wing root. And center.

The outer tank. is always the coldest fuel tank hence transferring it to the warmer inner tank. Warms the -40 fuel up by mixing with inner tank fuel which is much warmer. From memory, somewhere in the mid -20s for inner tank when the outer hits -40.

For low temp in Trim tank, transfer to the centre tank.

If youre not increasing speed/ finding warmer air then transfer is your only option. At my carrier, first option considered is transfer. We operate on track systems so descending to lower level is generally not an option due to the time factor involved with ATC.

helen-damnation
6th Oct 2011, 15:49
gblen

AFAIK, not all 330's have centre tanks fitted or used.

It's been a while but I don't recall a procedure for transferring TO the centre tank, only OUT. Happy to be corrected in my old age.

H-D

Fly3
7th Oct 2011, 13:27
I have operated extensively from the USA where only Jet A is available and have always had a fuel freeze analysis done during refuelling. Three samples are taken, one at the beginning, one mid way through and one at the end of the refuel process and all three tested. The one giving the worse case senario is then given as the fuel freeze for that load. Experience has shown that JetA is ok down to -46.5C so -40C is a very conservative figure.

gblen
7th Oct 2011, 14:28
Ah youre right, not all have center tanks! I know some of ours dont now that you mention it!