PDA

View Full Version : Jumpseat in the US - whats the latest?

ETOPS
13th Jan 2002, 17:21
Could someone remind me what the current situation is about positioning on the jumpseat in the USA. I need to get from Orlando (MCO) to New York (JFK) next Friday in order to operate the next day to LHR. I will be in uniform and have an interline ticket but would , of course, prefer to save the cash!

I am familiar with " locked door policies" but wondered how US aircrews were positioning around?

Check 6
13th Jan 2002, 18:46
The latest I heard is that only FAR 121 crews can jumpseat, and you may only ride in the cockpit if you work for that carrier, otherwise to the back (Oh darn!).

TR4A
13th Jan 2002, 23:24
Offline jumpseats must have a seat in the back. If airplane is full - no ride. At my airline jumpseaters from other airlines are next to last on the standby list, ahead of Travel Agents.

Semaphore Sam
14th Jan 2002, 02:48
If nothing else; those SOB's have succeeded in disrupting the trust amongst fellow cockpit crew. Will this trust ever return? Can those AH's succeed so thoroughly in changing our fraternal relationships, and allow companies to deny the bond that had lasted since the beginning of commercial flight? Admittedly, checks are needed; but with ID's now available, verification on bona-fides should be no-brainer material. I suspect corporate subterfuge to eliminate a cockpit perk.

Considering how many of our people (pilots, F/E's) still need to position, I suggest the following: Check 1}Company ID
2)FAA (or equilivent) License
3)A few pertinent questions, to confirm aeronautical bona-fides, knowledge

People, our traditional hospitality is under attack; this perk is needed both for us & for our companies. Let's try to prevent its loss, using common sense checks. Thanks.

ETOPS
19th Jan 2002, 21:43
Just to let you know this trip worked like a dream! Checked in at MCO yesterday about 2 hrs before departure and went through bag screening etc fairly promptly. At the gate the agent said I would almost certainly get on the AA MD-80 and as boarding commenced I was issued a boarding card for coach (economy). On board I was upgraded to First by the Captain who simply asked to see my Licence and ID. It was a great flight, on time and smooth and FREE! Everybody was very friendly and I can recommend American Airlines for internal US flights. I travelled in uniform and that seemed to help.

My grateful thanks to Captain T G and his crew - hope I can help AA crew in return.

[ 19 January 2002: Message edited by: ETOPS ]

[ 20 January 2002: Message edited by: Jetdriver ]</p>