PDA

View Full Version : Flying in San Diego

invertedspin10
1st Oct 2011, 20:34
Ive got a few days spare in San Diego around mid october and was looking at what flying I could do flyingwise.
So far I came up with:

fly an hour in a T6 Harvard

Do some soaring in a Stemme S10

Fly a Cirrus (not yet flown one) and do the coastal route low level

Fly to LAX (if its possible ) and do a Touch and Go for the logbook

Has anybody done any of these things or got any recommendations .

I wont really have time to do a rental checkout so just looking for some great flying experiences

Anybody any experience of the weather at that time of the year. is sea fog a problem?

AdamFrisch
1st Oct 2011, 21:45
I'm in LA, so can't really give specifics about San Diego, but LAX will probably not grant you class B clearance for a landing during the day, as it's just too busy. At night it's doable. But you can do the next best thing: do the Mini Route at 2500ft above the runways. All you need is a clearance and they'll give you a squawk. Always granted.

WestWind1950
2nd Oct 2011, 05:36
there's a great museum at Gillespie Field in El Cajon, East of San Diego, and you might get some information there or at Golden State Flying Club (http://www.gsfc.com/) ... really nice guys and gals there.

Pity you're not there this weekend... the Miramar Air show (http://www.miramarairshow.com/) is on. I went there last year.... amazing!

n5296s
2nd Oct 2011, 06:37
I've flown my 182 into LAX a couple of times without any problems, though it was my actual destination, not a T&G. Once was IFR and I had to hold for a while. The other time was perfect VFR and they just slotted me in and gave me a short approach. THat was about 7 or 8 years ago, things may have changed. But the visual route over the top is pretty impressive, especially when you're used to the UK and not flying within 100 miles of any airport that's ever seen a commercial flight in the last decade.

Dave Gittins
3rd Oct 2011, 12:51
I was there last week. Flew a Cirrus SR-20 (first time) from Montgomery Field, did the low level harbour tour at 800 ft and a 4,500 ft transit along the VFR corridor over KSAN and a touch and go at Brown.

The early morning sea fog, lifting into a layer of cloud between 1,000 and 1,500 was potentially a problem as some days it persisted until lunchtime. Last Monday it was gone by 10.30, which saved us an IFR depart to go on top while it cleared up.

If you have a spare day a tour of USS Midway is good too.