PDA

View Full Version : Are my grades good enough?

tom775257
10th Mar 2001, 22:50
Hi,
I am interested after finishing my degree (BSc Bio sciences) to carry on learning to fly (currently a glider pilot), aiming for a career as a pilot. Although my A-levels were fine, I am not too sure about my GCSE's. Any opinion as to whether these are good enough for an airline to consider hiring me (assuming I can get an ATPL) would be much appreciated. I am not looking for sponsorship. My dilemma is that if I want to continue in science a PhD is realistically required, therefore I will have to make my mind up within about 1 year's time (although all I really want to do is fly). Currently on course for a 1st.
A-level:
Chemistry: A
Biology: A
I.T.: A

GCSE:
Chemistry: A
Biology: A
Physics: A
Maths: A
French: A
Geography: A
English: B
German: B
English Lit: C
DT: C
It's really the B in english, and the C in english lit that worry me.
My other big issue really to resolve is the fact I am an american living in the U.K with the ability to work in both countries. Which country to train in is the question? I like each country equally, and have no real ties in the UK.
Many thanks for any response.
tom.

Speedbird 2946
11th Mar 2001, 01:39
I can tell you the requirements for the BA Cadet Pilot Scheme if you like:

British Airways, 5 GCSEs at C or above (maths, english etc..you are fine)
Plus two a levels at C or above, or honours degree at Desmond (2:2) or above.

You've done very well in all your exams so do not doubt yourself. By no means MUST you be a brainiac to be a pilot. Determined and keen yes... so GOOD LUCK!!!!

Speedbird 2946

Norfolk and airspeed
11th Mar 2001, 02:46
Something else : If someone ever tells you that you are too old/can't fly with glasses/are overqualified/are underqualified/wrong sex/wrong skin colour/whatever, and you really want to fly for a living, then....

...Take it as a personal challange. You still *might* not make it into the lhs of a big jet 'cause nothing is guaranteed in this life (except death and taxes), but you are bloody well going to do your damndest!

BigTimeWannabe
11th Mar 2001, 04:54
Are you kiding me mate, you have great academic results. I think you should apply for airline sponsorship aswell! I've heard about people who fly for major International carriers that don't even have A-levels, let alone a degree!

But the only thing is, how is your hand eye coordination and stuff like that? You look good on paper but how do you score on aptitude tests?

BTW

ba195
12th Mar 2001, 01:38
Hi, everybody.

do you think this resume is good enough for a British Airways Spnsorship?:

-Member of Air Training Corps for 3 years.
-Winner of "Royal Institute of Navigation" 1998 Navigation Compeition.
-Member of a band, 1997-2001 (playing drums)
-Webmaster of WhassupNet, Internet Service Provider.
-Owned small computer buisness at 15 yrs of age.

A-Level info
-A2 + AS Level Physics
-A2 + AS Level Computing
-A2 + AS Level Mathematics
(all the above are predicted, as I am starting college this year, at "John Leggott" Sixth Form)

GCSE info:
English Lit - B
English Land - B
Maths - A
Chemistry - A
Physics - A
Biology - A
Information Technology - A*
Systems & Control - B
French - C
Geography - C

I don't wear glasses, as we speak!

Any Suggestions please pilots?

thanks
Ben Alexander-Brown
http://www.whassupnet.co.uk
http://www.whassupnet.co.uk/767

tom775257
12th Mar 2001, 02:32
Hi there.
Thanks for the positive responses. I just assumed sponsorship was for the super-human.
My hand-eye co-ordination is fine, don't know if it is of any test of hand-eye co-ord, however am grade 8 + pianist which requires some hand-eye skill. I can fly a glider aswell, requiring hand-eye-feet (a lot of feet!!) co-ord. I think my plan is as follows:
*Go for PPL before finishing Uni.
*Pay for the RAF aptitude test (I'm a yank)
And then go for broke after uni. Going for sponsorship I thought was a 1 in a thousand kind of thing, so I figure get into a nice load of debt learning to fly aiming for ATPL.
*Try my luck among the airlines, I figure you only live once, it is what I really want to do. If worst comes to it I can spend the rest of my life preparing agar plates and bacterial samples for bio students...
Any further suggestions on things to learn/ do before finishing uni, and move into full time training would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
tom.

tom775257
12th Mar 2001, 02:40
Hi ba195,
It is quite amusing the simularities you find between the interests of various pilots/wanabees: I went the web-design, then over-clocked computer selling route (the only way I could compete with the major companies: By tuning the PC's!) In the end me and my friend quit the business and went to work for a UK major PC manufacturer in the year out, first as a techy, then in R+D for game + DV edit machines, then senior techy (p*ssed of the 40 year old techies no end!), and acting emergency on-site support for servers and important custies.
I guess it is the whole technology thing that interests people who find aviation interesting. It seems a lot of pilots like their PC's!!
Tom.

[This message has been edited by tom775257 (edited 11 March 2001).]

Pandora
15th Mar 2001, 14:26
Tom and ba195,

are you just trying to make us poor old ignorant real BA pilots feel like academic underacheivers? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

Tom - why have you already got a 6figure BA staff no? ;)

Ba195 - Eng land - is that the one that you have to be able to spell for? ;)

On a more serious note, read the Wannabes section.

tailscrape
19th Mar 2001, 11:55
Norfolk,....

almost correct. LHS of a big jet: well, death comes to us all eventually. But most LHS ers probably don't pay tax. Too busy living in Monaco!!I wish!!