PDA

View Full Version : Grand Canyon Helicopters

newswatcher
13th Jan 2002, 16:55
Going to Las Vegas for a week at end of March. Thought I would take in one of the helicopter trips over the GC. Trouble is, lots of firms offering similar excursions on the Internet. How do I know which one to choose from point of view:
a. of safety
b. value for money

All help appreciated!

Sharjah Night Shift
13th Jan 2002, 23:10
I did a trip last October with Scenic/Papillion Grand Canyon Helicopters. Both operators seemed very proffessional in their organisation and the aircraft used appeared clean and well maintained.

The National Parks still impose restrictions on aircraft but the Western end of the canyon is on Indian land where such restrictions do not apply. My tour was on a Twin Otter to Grand Canyon West Airport then on an AS350 to the canyon floor.

Details of the tour can be found on the Grand Canyon West section of the Scenic web site. If you are not in the US book with the local agent listed not via the web site.

If you want to know more drop me an e-mail

newswatcher
15th Jan 2002, 13:54
Thanks for that guys.

I have never been in a helicopter, so this will be an experience in itself.

However, bearing in mind that I want to take some film - video and still, is there any major difference between fixed wing and rotary? I notice that the Scenic aircraft have extra large windows, but will there be more vibration on the helicopter?

Sorry that these seem so basic questions!

Who has control?
15th Jan 2002, 14:04
Changing the locality but not the subject, if anyone is ever at Victoria Falls, do the helo flight of the Falls, its amazing. It was my first helo flight too.

Newswatcher, if you go in the helicopter, try to blag the front-left seat next to the pilot. You can take piccies thru' the clear-vision panel between your feet.