PDA

View Full Version : PPL or NPPL

Kapish
28th Sep 2011, 17:23
Hello guys,

First posting here. I have just spend the last 5 hours on this website going through all the current and previous topics about flying. I am 30 now and always dreamed of being an Airline pilot but couldn't afford it when I was younger, but after seeing a few posts about the current situation with regard to jobs, pay in the industry etc, I guess I will stick with my current career within London Underground. :ok:

1. With regards to the PPL and NPPL, any advice which route I should take since I wont be now pursuing a career in flying?
2. I live in North West London, any good flight schools to recommend for training.
3. Do flight schools offer a pay as you go option? due to work, family commitments?

Thanks for reading and any tips, advice are greatly appreciated.

Greg

Genghis the Engineer
28th Sep 2011, 17:51
The written exams and pass standard are substantially the same for the two, and few people will reach that pass standard in less than the PPL minimum 45 hours. So, in your position, I'd recommend the PPL so long as you can get a class 2 medical.

Pretty much all schools permit you to pay as you go, and most people on here will recommend that you take that option. Money paid up front has a bad habit of vanishing in this volatile business environment.

NW London - try West London Aero club at White Waltham, Wycombe Air Centre at Booker (M40 J4), or The Pilot Centre at Denham - all good well regarded schools.

G

kevkdg
28th Sep 2011, 18:06
NPPL can save you money, but in my view only if you did it on Motor Gliders or Microlights and then if desired add the SSEA rating later.

I did mine on Motor Gliders. Cost was £60 per hour. Completed in about 45 hours. If I wish to add the SSEA rating, then as I understand things all I need to do is conversion training with an instructor (not even the need for an examiner). The instructor, once happy signs it up in my log book, and hey presto I can apply for the SSEA rating. No fixed min number of hours for conversion.

Whether this will dissapear under EASA I'm not sure.

Grob Queen
28th Sep 2011, 18:16
Hello Greg,

Welcome to the best hobby in the world! I agree with Genghis, there is so little in it, as long as you get your class II Medical, you may as well go with the PPL...then you can fly to France!

Clubs in NW London? Well, try RAF Halton Flying Club. The membership fees and hourly rates should be cheaper, no landing fees for club members, and the instruction (well, it is at my club!) is second to none. Again, speaking from experience with my club, they will welcome civllian members.

Go for it and best of luck! :ok:

BWBI
28th Sep 2011, 19:39
You can fly to France on a NPPL now! However best to go down the JAR PPL route unless you have medical issues in which case the NPPL may be better.

abgd
28th Sep 2011, 21:34
I'm very happy to be corrected, but when I looked into upgrading an NPPL to a PPL, you could only do so if you had a JAR rated instructor for your NPPL. When I asked around, the NPPL instructors round here who offered cheaper training (e.g. on C42s) weren't JAR certified so you would have to do more than the extra 15 hours in order to upgrade.

Something to be cautious of and bear in mind.

Kapish
29th Sep 2011, 17:57
Hi all,

Thanks very much for all your replies so far. I will visit a few of the schools mention here and take it from.

Greg.

Pace
29th Sep 2011, 18:07
Greg

Also have a look at Elstree as that is probably the closest to you.

patowalker
29th Sep 2011, 18:52
You can fly to France on a NPPL now!Only if you have an ICAO compliant Class 2 medical, issued by a British or French AME and meet these minimum requirements:
https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/dossier%5Caicfrancea%5CAIC_A_2010_13_FR.pdf

kevkdg
30th Sep 2011, 15:02
Upgrade from NPPL to JAR PPL - yes, you need to have done your NPPL training with a JAR rated instructor.

This is not the same as adding an SSEA rating to an NPPL gained on Microloghts or Motor Gliders which can save money in the long run.

cheers

Kapish
1st Oct 2011, 02:02
I went to Denham yesterday and the offices were closed. Not a soul insite. It this be down to the trend on here about a certain flying school having problems?