PDA

View Full Version : Flight Instructors vs JAR FTL

05pearcj
28th Sep 2011, 09:52
Dear All,

I was wondering recently, what does the regulations state regarding flight instruction needing to comply with a standard JAR FTL scheme, similar to an AOC operator? Does anybody have a JAR OPS reference for me to do some reading?

For example I know of many instructors who think nothing of arriving in the summer at 0730 completing up to 8 lessons and finishing flying at 2000. Also to earn their keep during the summer, the above mentioned will occur 7 days per week for many weeks in a row until a rainy day arrives. In my eyes this exceeds almost every flight limitation in the book regarding "sectors", "duty period"and "report time" so i thought i would ask the question.

I am not trying to cast a negative light on extremely hard working instructors but merely trying to expand my knowledge on the subject.

Regards

Whopity
28th Sep 2011, 11:22
JAR-OPS has nothing to do with flight instruction, ANO Article 147 appliesFlight times – responsibilities of flight crew
147 (1) Subject to paragraphs (2) and (3), a person must not act as a member of the flight
crew of an aircraft registered in the United Kingdom if, at the beginning of the flight,
the aggregate of all that person's previous flight times:
(a) during the period of 28 consecutive days expiring at the end of the day on which
the flight begins exceeds 100 hours; or
(b) during the period of twelve months expiring at the end of the previous month
exceeds 900 hours.
(2) This article does not apply to a flight which is a private flight in an aircraft which has a
maximum total weight authorised of not more than 1600kg.
(3) A person may act as a member of the flight crew on a private or aerial work flight
where the operator does not hold a national air operator's certificate if, at the time
when the flight begins, the aggregate of all the flight times of the member of the flight
crew concerned since last being medically examined and found fit by a person
approved by the CAA for the purpose of article 72(3) is not more than 25 hours.

BillieBob
28th Sep 2011, 14:45
Whilst Whopity is correct at the moment, this will all change on 1 July 2012. OR.ATO.130 states, in relation to all approved training organisations:

"The operations manual shall establish flight time limitation schemes for flight instructors, including the maximum flying hours, maximum flying duty hours and minimum rest time between instructional duties in accordance with Part-OR Subpart OPS."

Given the restructuring of the implementing regulations, the final reference is now incorrect. However, all should become clear early next year when Annex VII to the Aircrew Regulation is published.

usualguy
28th Sep 2011, 16:37
what doeas it mean, more money or less money at the end??

less work for more, or work more for less?

Cows getting bigger
28th Sep 2011, 19:45
I think your 12.5hrs, 7 days a week would happily fall into European Working Time Directive territory, never mind any future FTL regulations.

05pearcj
14th Oct 2011, 16:23
Whopity and BillyBob,

Thank you very much for those two references, i now have an aiming point to do some "light" reading. Very interesting to hear about the changes approaching on the 1st July 2012 it will be interesting to see the ways flying schools interpret this information and fall into line appropriately.

"Cowes getting bigger”: Thanks for the comment, it is very apparent that this manner of working does not comply with European directives, but usually it is voluntary in order for the instructors to earn enough money during the summer months. I was just acting as a concerned bystander curious about the regulators point of view, interesting stuff either way.

safe flying to all of you.

Reverserbucket
14th Oct 2011, 22:12
Interesting subject. The ANO restriction of 100 hours per 28 days and 900 hrs per year does not apparently influence U.K. approved JAA training outside of member states where in my experience it is not uncommon for instructors to regularly exceed these limits. In the U.S. for example, although in accordance with FAR 61.195 an instructor must not exceed 8 hours within a 24 hour period, there are no monthly or annual restrictions under Part 61 hence it is quite common to see FI's racking up 150 or more hours per month, and in the locations where the FTO's base their fair-weather operations the weather is typically VFR all year round so you don't have the seasonal variations of hours as you find in more unsettled climates such as the U.K. That doesn't leave a lot of time for briefings and administrative duties.

Let's hope Part-OR Subpart OPS does not reflect the cousins regulations. Apologies for the slight thread drift.

BillieBob
14th Oct 2011, 22:42
The ANO restriction of 100 hours per 28 days and 900 hrs per year does not apparently influence U.K. approved JAA training outside of member states Well, it should do. Instructors authorised by the UK CAA under Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.300 are subject to the limitations of the ANO. Of course, it may be that the inspectors are not conducting the required oversight - it wouldn't be the first time.