PDA

View Full Version : Brake bars

PPRuNeUser0139
22nd Sep 2011, 19:06
I'm editing a brief on main landing gear (trans. from French to English) and I've come across the term 'brake bar' on a schematic of a 4 wheel bogie..
The description given is impossible to understand. Can some kind soul offer me an explanation of the function of these 4 brake bars?
Many thanks
sv

Mike_s
22nd Sep 2011, 19:36
Brake rod? Structure of the landing gear that the brakes are mounted to. Usually by a brake pin/nut, and securing nut and bolt

Dan Winterland
23rd Sep 2011, 01:46
A quick scan of the schematic or a clue as to what the type is will help.

PPRuNeUser0139
23rd Sep 2011, 06:12
Dan - see your PMs.

kingstonboy
23rd Sep 2011, 06:26
at a guess torque links,as found on A330,A340 and B747 amongst others.Their function is to hold the brake unit in place/absorb,transfer the braking forces addditionaly they may also have tq sensors on them to assist with auto braking functions.

Beeline
24th Sep 2011, 13:07
Dont get confused with brake rods. Torquelinks transmit torsion from the upper to lower part of the leg. They also stop the inner cylinder and truck falling from the aircraft on rotation or jacking!

Rotating mechanisms provide autoskid/autobrake data.

mono
24th Sep 2011, 16:08
Brake bars or anti-rotation bars or torque bars.

The brake is attached to the bogie using the same axle as the wheel assy. However it is free to rotate. The brake bars stop this rotation. There are 4, one for each wheel/brake. There is a fitting at the lower part of the brake which the bar is attached to and its other end is attached to a fixed part of the bogie assy.