PDA

View Full Version : Acco in Oban

stiknruda
21st Sep 2011, 22:11
Am delivering a Pitts to Wick next week and will need accomodation for the night on the way home. Oban looks like a good night-stop, I've spent too much time in INV and Perth over the years!

Any recommendations for an inexpensive place to stay? Inexpensive as Pitts2112 will be footing the bill!

Thanks

Stik

PH-UKU
21st Sep 2011, 22:24
Loch Nell Arms Hotel in Connell. 10-15min walk from airfield. Probably about £45 a night B+B - usually got Loch Fyne Ale on tap.

Or nip over to Glenforsa Hotel on Mull, take Alison or Bren up for a quick flip and I'm sure they'll knock a bit off the usual £90 B+B. Good bar, good food, good craic, and smashing airfield.

The Original GF
22nd Sep 2011, 10:55
Or don't take us for a 'flip' and you can have a room for half price!:E

OGF

Zulu Alpha
22nd Sep 2011, 14:11
Are you walking back to Nelsons county?

stiknruda
22nd Sep 2011, 16:01
No ZA!

Team Wildcat are dropping an S1D off for a new owner at Wick - one flies the single seater, the other is chasing in the 2A. New owner wants a couple of circuits in the two-holer before committing aviation in the Magnolia Monster. If wx is good we expect to be on the ground at lunchtime in Wick with fuel stops at Full Sutton or Fishburn then Perth. If wx is less clement then we'll just scoosh up the east coast, Dundee instead of Perth.

If it's a glorious day then, we'd ideally like air2air shots over the Firth of Forth, Loch Rannoch looking at the south bank and Glencairn.

White pudding supper and twa pints of heavy in INV or delicious dinner in Glenforsa - go figure!

Oban-Carlisle-home on the way back Saturday afternoon, I guess.

Stik

kevmusic
22nd Sep 2011, 17:06
It's a tough life, ay, Stik! :ok:

ShyTorque
22nd Sep 2011, 18:15
I can also vouch for the Lochnell Arms Hotel; stayed over just a couple of weeks ago.

Hope the weather is better for you, though! We caught the back end of the hurricane.

Sir George Cayley
22nd Sep 2011, 18:30
Tent?

SGC

140KIAS
22nd Sep 2011, 18:48
If you want something different you could try one of the 'special rooms' at the Falls of Lora.

http://www.fallsoflora.com/images/room42.jpg

Alternatively if you're working to a budget the Oyster Inn has some bunk rooms. There are also quite a few good guest houses in Connel. PK should be able to recommend a few.

stiknruda
22nd Sep 2011, 19:24
Tent. Yes - cracking idea, I'll submit a minor mod and see if the LAA will approve a tent-rack - either wing fitting or like my old Midget on the boot-lid + horizontal stabilizer!

There is so little room in the Pitts and we've got to drag all the paraphenalia (including a chute) up there and two toothbrushes - besides Pitts 2112 is footing the ever-increasing bill;)

Best stow the toothbrushes as far forward to remain with CoG!

Beginning to look forward to this little jaunt!

Is PK the operator at Oban? Not been there since I was a schoolboy on my bike!

Stik

Oldpilot55
23rd Sep 2011, 07:12
PK is Paul Keegan, the gentleman at Oban who will sell you fuel.

DB6
23rd Sep 2011, 08:24
Dundee's OK for a stop if you do end up on the East coast. Tayside does all the light A/C handling now plus fuel, engineering support etc. You can get a lift into town and there are plenty of places to stay and eat. Only drawback can be the single runway but the crosswind is usually benign.

Oldpilot55
23rd Sep 2011, 09:45
But...if he goes the east route he misses the glory of Loch Ness and the Great Glen. If he picks his route he can get from Wick to Prestwick at 500' or so.

stiknruda
23rd Sep 2011, 11:04
If we do have to go to Dundee, it will be just fuel and a cuppa! I've no desire to visit that City again - as it brings back memories of visits to Cairds in Reform St to get school uniform, almost 40 years ago!

The Great Glen is a real draw. The eastern route is only if the wx is low over the hills. The Perth-A9-INV route is reserved for it being dreich over Loch Ness!

Stik

Hello DB6 - long time no see!