PDA

View Full Version : SNS3Guppy

cjboy
15th Sep 2011, 16:03
There is an article in the Flight Safety Bulletin for Summer 2011 (vol 47 no.2) entitled "Aircraft talk to you". It's by a fellow called Mike Maloney, and is from an original posting on here.

The author sounds just like our lamented friend Guppy, anyone know if that's the case?

Ultra long hauler
15th Sep 2011, 19:07
Maybe he will answer you himself………I guess he´s posting under a pseudonym these days.

###Ultra Long Hauler###

Pace
15th Sep 2011, 20:24
Having been chucked out I don't think he is the sort of guy to post under a pseudo name ?
I know in his position I would not!

Pace

dublinpilot
15th Sep 2011, 20:27
and is from an original posting on here.

I don't understand what you mean by that bit. Are you saying the article was originally posted here and then copied into the magazine?

vabsie
15th Sep 2011, 21:11
Anyone who has had a PM from SNS3Guppy in the past will probably know his real name - I don't think he had much to hide in my opinion.

I still think it's a waste to have banned him ... I liked the info ... I even liked some of the arguments which I know offended some.

People don't seem to analyse the nitty gritty as much anymore - that stuff was useful to someone like me still learning.

Be decent and give the chap another chance, unless he killed someone which I doubt.

Vabsie

chrisN
16th Sep 2011, 02:26
I also miss his postings. Never saw anything to justify a ban. I though he always argued points of fact and opinion, but not personal attacks on people.

I did see what I thought were attacks on him.

Chris N

Pace
16th Sep 2011, 06:56
Many of us are egos in this forum and we don't like to be shown up for being wrong or inaccurate.
Guppy was very good at doing that! His style was quite abrasive with anyone who crossed or challenged him but he was rarely wrong.
On the positive side he wrote pages of very detailed factual stuff and the forum is much poorer without his contributions.

I can remember being made to look a fool by a mistake I made and feeling affronted and then digging an even deeper hole by trying to protect that ego.

On the flip side I sometimes don't get over what I am trying to say clearly and often Guppy would dive in and protect my position in an argument by adding that clarity and supporting my arguement.

I liked the guy, his writing, detail and even the punchups :E

Pace

cjboy
16th Sep 2011, 07:20
Quote:
and is from an original posting on here.
I don't understand what you mean by that bit. Are you saying the article was originally posted here and then copied into the magazine?

At the end of an article it gives a little biography of the author, says that it is from an original posting on pprune, and mentions it was sent in by occasional FSB contributor Mary Meagher

Pace
16th Sep 2011, 07:32
Well our very own Mary Meagher should be able to clarify this?

Pace

iwrbf
16th Sep 2011, 09:29
Hi,

the internet once provided a great chance: Semi-anonimity for a large scale exchange of information.

Now that this institution has finally been commercialized and it's finally "growing up", a lot of users who haven't understood a bit about it try to force it into real names and "total transparency".

I respect anyone's wish for a nickname and for a bit of privacy. I don't mind about Guppy being Hans Meier, John McAlister or Gerard Minion or whoever...

I do care about the quality of information people transport via pprune.org, though. Pprune, imho, is banning one interesting personality after another. I don't get this stuff.

If a poster tries to destroy the atmosphere in a forum: ban him.
If a poster tried to insult people for the "fun" of it: ban him.

If a poster's view insults a moderator: send a wellness voucher to the moderator so he can relax...

Kind regards,
Peter (banned, too from now on?)

PS: I've started "internetting" in 1985 via 300 Baud Dial Ups. I've run several BBS, I've been quite active in most of the "nets" and I've run several web forums and co-moderated even more. I'm not naive, just quite p*** o** (self censored asterisks) by high quality forums made "kaput" by moderators and posters who don't get that forums are not for tree hugging and worshipping but for discussions.

rusty sparrow
16th Sep 2011, 11:03
iwrbf makes very good points.

Take a look at the LAA website - no anonymity but nothing happening there.

cjboy
16th Sep 2011, 22:02
I only posed the question because there were questions raised here as to whether Guppy was genuine, because his experience seemed so extensive in every area of aviation. Maybe he is genuine?

AdamFrisch
16th Sep 2011, 22:42
Discussions are all good and disagreements as well. That's what this is for. But read Guppy's postings again and you'll find an overly harsh and combative guy that just couldn't tolerate a differing opinion. He had to beat them down, no matter what.

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/453720-where-mr-guppy-these-days.html

Pilot DAR
16th Sep 2011, 22:47
He had to beat them down, no matter what.

Indeed....

I choose to participate here, in the hope that some of what I present can help and inspire newer pilots, and make them feel included in our hobby/industry. The very last thing I want to do is leave another person, particularly a "new" person, feeling that I think they are not worthy of participating.

Those of us who might be more experienced, have a duty to extend the most benefit of the doubt to other posters and pilots, certainly not the least!

Deeday
16th Sep 2011, 23:17
Another thread on whether SNS3Guppy is/isn't a troll, was/wasn't justly banned?

Yawn... :bored:

BRL
16th Sep 2011, 23:32
He's banned, end of really. As said above "Another thread on whether SNS3Guppy is/isn't a troll, was/wasn't justly banned?". It's not going to happen, he's been banned!

Pace
16th Sep 2011, 23:50
I choose to participate here, in the hope that some of what I present can help and inspire newer pilots, and make them feel included in our hobby/industry. The very last thing I want to do is leave another person, particularly a "new" person, feeling that I think they are not worthy of participating.

Pilot Dar your contributions have always been polite, well written and oozing experience Guppies style was very different.
I never saw him pull a student or low time pilot apart he left that to anyone who challenged him as King of knowledge.
he also took pretenders to his throne apart piece by piece exposing every innacuracy.
Accuracy especially to the students and low time pilots has to be a must have in these forums so its no bad thing to have someone correct mistakes.
Aviation is full of pilots who smile to your face and then stick a knife in your back the minute you turn.
It is a world full of Egos so in a way Guppy is no different to many I know real world.
On the plus side he wrote reams of pages explaining detail correcting mistakes.
IMO the forum is a lesser place without Guppy.
He is not the first to get into a slanging match or to try and put another competing pilot down. It happens a lot!
His knowledge and detail was out of this world and frankly amazing. Is he genuine? Who knows!!!
Having been on the recieving end of Guppy I also experienced another side Guppy the protector who would dive in and back you up in your own battles over aviation arguement.
As I said I actually got to quite like the guy and saw him as a colourful contributor with an abrasive style but one who kept you firmly on your toes with the accuracy of what you were writing.
My guess is he got banned for telling the moderators where to go but who knows.

Pace

Pace

Ultra long hauler
17th Sep 2011, 00:09
But read Guppy's postings again and you'll find an overly harsh and combative guy that just couldn't tolerate a differing opinion. He had to beat them down, no matter what.
l[/URL]

Indeed, check reply 53 in this thread for instance:
http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/445792-apparent-brake-failure-do-you-take-off-2.html

He completely derails about some "missing" information that was clearly provided in the link that was posted!!??
Knowledgeable, most definitely!
But he was unnecessarily rude at times………which didn´t help the discussion on many occasions!
That`s what probably got him banned as well.

I respect teachers / knowledgeable people, but much more so when they are down to earth about it!

I find the moderatos on PPRuNe very forgiving, compared to other forums; but he pulled it off to get banned for a looong time!!

###Ultra Long Hauler###

Pilot DAR
17th Sep 2011, 02:42
Yes, Pace, I see your point. Though I don't completely agree, this is certainly well into opinion territory, and each is entitled to his/her own opinion, and I respect yours.. Perhaps it is wise to give the new pilots just a slight taste of the cut throat side of aviation, but it would be easy to go too far, and simply turn people off entirely.

Another thread on whether SNS3Guppy is/isn't a troll, was/wasn't justly banned?

Well, maybe... But rather than keeping alive the memory of a past contributor, who in my opinion, did as much harm as good, I would rather see this thread as an opportunity to more generally refresh the subject, of this being a place where positive mentoring should be a priority, and anonymity should not enable simply rude behaviour.

Ultimately, this is someone's "place" and we are all guests. We should expect to behave appropriately. Personally, I find the effort of the moderators excellent, and though I have no idea if they are compensated or not, for what they must have to do and put up with, to keep this an interesting place to be, I find it simply amazing. It's like the sports referee, they are the one, who like it or not, runs the game. If you don't like it, you don't have to play. If you break the rules, you can no longer play. Just because a contributor has lots of information to offer, does not entitle that person to be rude, and antagonize others, because they are compensating elsewhere.

Like everything, PPRuNe has lines. One got crossed, and action was taken. The line is still there, and we are reminded of that. Someone is minding the shop - thanks mods!

Pace
17th Sep 2011, 08:31
Pilot Dar

My last shot at this :E I read through the response to Ultra Long Hauler it was a belittling reply an arrogant reply but not an insulting reply.
The problem with any forum based on text is that people hide behind that text.
What is written can be misconstrued. You cannot see the other person. Their facial expressions, their intent.
With someones identity hidden you dont really know in many cases who you are talking too and how genuine they really are if at all.
Some of us here know we are talking to the real deal basically because we have met in real person.
I have five good friends from the forum we meet up for nights out in London a couple actually fly with me having issued them with SIC ratings on the Citation.
I used to be involved in Flight sim and flight sim forums. We had one particular poster who put himself forward as an Airline Captain, some of the stuff he came out with was amazing in its detail. Then a couple of slips which no real Airline pilot would make.
He turned out to be a 13 year old school boy who was an expert at googling.
Guppy has not made mistakes in that way. The only mistake if it is a mistake is the shear volume of flying experience he claimed. I often wondered how he had the time to write so much on pprune.
But I am sure there is a truth with him if maybe somewhat exagerated.
I have seen posts where insults have been thrown" You excuse for a pilot with half a brain " is an insult.
None of us like to be on the recieving end of insulting posts or even put down posts like Guppy.
Having said that the punch up threads get the most hits. Often they start as heated arguement, usually a put down by testosterone driven know alls and then the insults fly.
I appreciate the problems the moderators have and dont always agree with what they allow or dont allow.

Pace

Sir George Cayley
18th Sep 2011, 15:01
What's all this about anonymity? ;)

Sir George Cayley