PDA

View Full Version : Department Homeland Security - It was only a matter of time

rmac
4th Sep 2011, 05:21
Feds warn of small airplane terror threats - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/feds-warn-small-airplane-terror-threats-003115875.html)

Fecking Winkers at it again, inventing threats to justify their existence......what next, maybe AQ will recruit sympathetic grannies to fill their wheelchair frames with explosives and detonate themselves in the supermarket :ugh:

Johnm
4th Sep 2011, 07:12
They obviously haven't heard of the London Bishopsgate bomb (probably US funded incidentally!) and so don't know that trucks and vans are more accessible and make a bigger bang.

tmmorris
4th Sep 2011, 07:53
They might have heard of Oklahoma, though...

Tim

Pilot DAR
4th Sep 2011, 11:36
Ah-ha! It's Al Quaida training terrorist pilots, who can afford to pay the training costs up front! I knew there were very well funded student pilots somewhere......

Pilot DAR
4th Sep 2011, 15:20
The local radio station, which serves a 100,000 population area in central Ontario, found it appropriate to put this as their second "news" story this morning. For a three minute newscast, of generally "local interest" news, I can't imagine how this story rates the lineup at all! How does it rate any lineup? Why am I even bothering to comment it?

Yeah, I have a thousand better things to do.......

vanHorck
4th Sep 2011, 15:58
NOS Nieuws - FBI: blijven oppassen met vliegtuigjes (http://nos.nl/artikel/269871-fbi-blijven-oppassen-met-vliegtuigjes.html)

The Dutch article suggests that a few months ago a plan was discovered for a terrorist attack using small planes stuffed with explosives, no source given however.

soay
4th Sep 2011, 16:38
Had to laugh at this post on that yahoo news story:

Lord Vicious...The Brutal about an hour ago

so...what they're saying...is we should be warry of "Men In Black" types ? ...after all those towers didn't come down because of the C.I.A. operatives comendeering and crashing planes into them. NOPE !!! that happened because the beams had been cut and explosives placed into the cuts...it's the only way those buildings could have fallen the way they did. ...and that has "INSIDE JOB"...written all over it. ...and that means people "with clearance" had to have done it. how stupid are people ?!!!

Interesting how often those commenting on the stupidity of others cannot spell or punctuate!

IO540
4th Sep 2011, 20:44
I am sure people have thought about doing something like this, but doing it with vehicles is just so much easier and more effective.

The advantage of a van or a truck is that you can park it up and then set it off when you are good and ready. Whereas if you use a plane you have to wire in some kind of a G switch and as soon as that is the last thing remaining open, the whole thing is a bit dangerous. I wonder how the Japs did this in WW2? It's probably not trivial, and suicide bombers tend to be pretty thick.

flybymike
4th Sep 2011, 22:48
suicide bombers tend to be pretty thick.

:) Why's that then?

BackPacker
5th Sep 2011, 07:31
Whereas if you use a plane you have to wire in some kind of a G switch

Would you really? Wouldn't just the crash itself, with spilled fuel, torn metal, sparks everywhere simply set off the explosives, assuming you get the right sort of explosives?

IO540
5th Sep 2011, 07:40
Absolutely not.

Unless it is something out of a John Wayne film, the stuff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitroglycerin) they had in bottles which always looked like it was about to explode :)

BackPacker
5th Sep 2011, 08:04
I was reading the Wikipedia article on explosives and it lists no less than 20 types of explosives that can be detonated with nothing more than the blow of a hammer. Now I'm not an explosives or crash expert but I would think that a suicide-by-airplane crash would release quite a bit more energy than that.

Explosive material - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosive_material)

However, I don't know if any of these explosives can be acquired, produced or stored in bulk.

What did ease my mind though is to find out that ANFO is actually a tertiary explosive, requiring a booster to detonate. So you cannot simply load up a plane with a mixture of fertilizer and diesel fuel and hope it works. You need to be way more clever than that.

IO540
5th Sep 2011, 09:02
I know nuffink about explosives but it is common knowledge that practically nobody uses explosives which go off when banged, because you will just blow yourself up.

The long history of the IRA, and more recent muppets closer to home, show that fertiliser based stuff is the favourite, and I think all those types need a detonator. That I know a little about because c. 1978 I was asked to design the electronic box which charges a capacitor and discharges it at a defined rate into the detonator. It had various fail-safe features. In the John Wayne films you see the old version which is a big box with a crank which you wind up and a handle on top which you push down to discharge the capacitor :)

All this is common knowledge.

But a vehicle, or a large backpack, remains the favourite means of delivery :)

Genghis the Engineer
5th Sep 2011, 09:20
:) Why's that then?

Because the clever terrorists are the ones persuading the stupid terrorists to kill themselves for the cause.

A bit like the British army between 1914-1919, but more honest.

G

Whopity
5th Sep 2011, 10:03
A bit like the British army between 1914-1919, but more honest.WhenI was at Farnborough in more recent years, there was an Army unit there looking at ideal Soldier IQ (65) was the magic figure, about the same as a pilot when the wheels leave the ground!

BackPacker
5th Sep 2011, 11:19
about the same as a pilot when the wheels leave the ground!

Still quite a bit higher than a pilot who pushes the "brain disconnect" button (aka PTT).:cool:

proudprivate
5th Sep 2011, 12:21
They obviously haven't heard of the London Bishopsgate bomb

Was that the acquisition of ABN Amro by the Royal ? I thought that was funded by the UK taxpayer and the only thing that exploded was the UK Treasury budget...

The bulletin also says al-Qaida would like to use sympathetic Westerners to get flight training, then get them to become flight instructors.

I'm sure they would. "The successful applicant will wear a beard and be capable of teaching lazy eights from the RHS dressed only in a night gown"

said terrorists have considered renting private planes and loading them with explosives.

This only proves that the TSA is doing a good job. Al-Qaida is no longer capable of doing a weight and balance. Unfortunately, neither is Matt Apuzzo.

IO540
5th Sep 2011, 13:25
ideal Soldier IQ (65)

Was that really 65? I thought 65 was at the level of "barely socially functioning".

"The successful applicant will wear a beard and be capable of teaching lazy eights from the RHS dressed only in a night gown"

He will also need to demonstrate proficiency in this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bikini_waxing).

There can't be any virgins left up there by now, anyway.