PDA

View Full Version : A good aircraft type book?

CommanderBlonde
21st May 2001, 13:42
Could anyone recommend a good book which shows which aircraft type uk airlines fly?

[This message has been edited by CommanderBlonde (edited 21 May 2001).]

schooner
21st May 2001, 23:17
If you`re just wanting to know which airline is flying what without any in depth stuff then Flight magazine publishes a world airline directory once a year around march time. OK, not very helpful now but they are advertising the guide to buy in this weeks edition.
If you want a book about it then I don`t know ;)

cheers

The man formerly known as
23rd May 2001, 12:58
I know it sound tongue in cheek but ask those guys (they are all guys) who stand at the boundary fences of airfields with notebooks.

I used to work with one and he could name any carrier/type combination you care to know about. (He didn't like flying though)

DoWeHaveLiftOff?
23rd May 2001, 16:04
Hi People,

Carrying on under this theme, how can one tell if a plane is a 727, 737 or 767, etc.

All the 7*7's look the same to me. Can anyone shed any light?

Many thanks
DWHLO

splonguk
23rd May 2001, 16:37
Let us start with the easiest of all.

747 - has that bump on top which is the upper deck!!

727 - has a third engine at the base of the tail plane

737 - usually quite small in length

757 - longs quite long for the size of its fuselage - if you look at one from the front, the diameter of the fuselage looks v.small

767 - length of 757, but with a noticably bigger diameter fuselage

777 - often described as a pregnant 767 - the area of fuselage under the wings longs like it is bulging, also its 2 engines are huge in diameter.

717 - two engines at rear of fuselage, rear wings are at the top of the tail plane, not the base.

go to:
www.airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net)

and have a look at pictures of each, you will soon spot obvious differences.

i.e 747 has 3/4 windows on upper deck
747-200 has a full set of windows
747-300 extended upper deck with set of windows then a door then another set of windows
747-400 same as 747-300 but has winglets.

Slipslide
23rd May 2001, 16:51
DWHLO,

Are you sure you want to be a pilot?

DoWeHaveLiftOff?
24th May 2001, 11:24
Thanks Splonguk, I'll Keep an eye out for these features.

Slipside,
Why do you say that? Is it because I have poor knowledge of distinguishing different types of aircraft? I believe there are many wannabes out there in a similar position who cannot identify every single aircraft. This come down to experience at the end of the day, and we'll get there one day.

By the way I have already invested in a book on aircraft types, so that will be used till it's worn out.

CommanderBlonde
Sorry to take over your post.

DWHLO

CommanderBlonde
24th May 2001, 12:02
no probs dwhlo :)

Anyway back to my original question - which book have you bought and does it list a/c types by airline and is it up to date?

I thank you...
CB