PDA

View Full Version : Checklist Philosophy part Deux

Meccano
3rd Sep 2011, 14:44
If a Normal Checklist is interrupted by an ATC call, which is the most correct procedure:

A) Answer the ATC call, then re-commence the Checklist from the beginning.

B) Hold the checklist at the point where it was interrupted, answer the ATC call, then re-commence the checklist from the same point.

C) Disregard the ATC call and finish the checklist before responding.

Slasher
3rd Sep 2011, 15:50
All three from what you've stated, depending on how urgent
the ATC call is, what its about, freq congestion etc. On that
basis you could include a 4th option too -

D) Reply "standby" and continue the checklist where you left
off.

sleeve of wizard
3rd Sep 2011, 15:52
Try to do checklists before or after high work load times. The crew may need to stop a checklist for a short time to do other tasks. If the interruption is short, continue the checklist with the next step. If a pilot is not sure where the checklist was stopped, do the checklist from the start. If the checklist is stopped for a long time, also do the checklist from the start.

italia458
3rd Sep 2011, 17:59
Out of the 3 options I'd definitely say option (A). Trying to continue mid-checks you set yourself up to miss something. Starting at the beginning you'll be sure to get everything. The key to that question is that it's a Normal checklist.

Like Slasher said though, there are times where telling ATC to standby would be more appropriate.

frontlefthamster
3rd Sep 2011, 20:19
Mecc,

The answer to this should be in the Ops Manual as well (I cant think of an AFM which gets to this level of detail), but if it isn't, or you haven't got one, then I would suggest you and your colleagues get together and discuss working round answer A. Other answers may apply to non-normals, but as an ex-ATCO, I'd be very unhappy if you told me to stand by simply because you're running some normal checks (unless they're going wrong).

Slasher and I are simply never going to get on. He doesn't fly with us, but he does remind me of some folk whom we binned at interview...

flyburg
3rd Sep 2011, 22:06
Sleeves of whizards answer is pretty much what boeings fcom says, so the do go into detail!

Slasher
4th Sep 2011, 01:01
The are definitive guidelines stated in airline SOP manuals in
"normal ops" sections. But usually they are guidelines only -
its up to the crew ultimately to decide what action to take
when ATC interrupts a checklist. What you do, at say LHR,
could be a lot different than some lonely backblock in China -
one place with a very high ATC and crew workload (often with
timely yet critical clearances etc) the other where you're
probably the only aircraft on the ground, running ahead of
schedule etc.

Therefore A to D would cover most cases, but again the
judgment of the crew is what's important.

You just couldn't help yourself making a jibe at me even on
this fresh new thread could you Mr Hamster, and you say I
was childish just because I called you a long-winded bloke.
I didn't get personal like you have here. Anyway I'm not
taking the bait pal. Nuff said.

bubbers44
4th Sep 2011, 01:27
B would be my choice. Starting over every time could put you in the front of the line up trying to complete it. Hopefully you can remember where you left off. In 23,000 hrs it has never been a problem.

Meccano
4th Sep 2011, 11:47
I flew with a new recruit the other day. He was PNF (PM if you prefer).
As we trundled down the parallel taxiway, about half way through the Before Take-Off Check, the Cabin Call went off. Just the regular 'Cabin Ready' info from the Purser - always comes at the most inopportune time.

Having finished that he returned to the Checklist. From the top.

Hang on I said, we know where we were, so lets continue from there - we're getting close to the hold and we're number one.

But Captain he replied, thats not what my instructor taught me in Line Training.

Ah well I thought - it'll be quicker to just do that, rather than debate the issue now.

Afterwward we talked about it, and yes indeed, some genius is telling the kiddies to do this.

To my knowledge the industry standard practice is to HOLD the checklist on interruption, marking the line with your thumb preferably, then continuing from that point afterward.
If you lose your place, then yes, start again. But show a bit of professionalism - some airmanship - and don't lose your position in the checklist. Stop day-dreaming?

Why do we always have to make the SIMPLEST things the most DIFFICULT?

capt. solipsist
5th Sep 2011, 13:14
if you're quite familiar with the place, you'd know when to expect routine ATC calls. you can then perform checklist/s around those events. (ex: Approach routinely calls you to switch to Control at transition altitude, just as you are to do the After Takeoff/Climb Below The Line. what we do is acknowledge the instruction, finish the below the line item, then switch frequency.)

if the call comes at an unexpected time, you had better make it a priority.