PDA

View Full Version : Santa Pod Airstrip Operator

rans6andrew
30th Aug 2011, 15:36
can anyone point me to the operator of the airstrip at the south side of Santa Pod Raceway near to Wellingborough? I am hoping that the airstrip is still in use and would like to PPR for it.

I previously had contact with one of the based aircraft owners but he has moved away (G-INFO has his old address) and his mobile number now belongs to British Gas!

Thanks,

Rans6....

cirrusdancer
30th Aug 2011, 18:47
Are you thinking of Sackville Farm ?
Number in SkyDemon is 01234 708877.
I flew Cranfield <-> Conington during my training and that's the only airfield I can think of around Santa Pod.

You could always try Cranfield or Sywell as alternatives.

rans6andrew
30th Aug 2011, 19:01
No! I am definitely thinking of Santa Pod. If you didn't know it was there you might not spot it. There is a grass strip of, maybe 400 M next to part of the original airfield perimeter track (peri track has fences and gates across it! and too many pot holes) and a small blister hangar on the edge of some woods.

I have used it once before, a few years ago, I need to visit a chap at Odell for a few minutes and I would rather spend 45 mins in the aircraft and walk the 2 miles at that end than spend the 2+ hours it usually takes me to go by road.(each way times!) Not a good road journey from where I am.

Rans6....

Sir George Cayley
30th Aug 2011, 19:27
There's a long straight bit of tarmac at Santa Pod :ok:

And you can get a time as you land ;) RWYB

SGC

rans6andrew
30th Aug 2011, 21:18
mmmmm, I think my Foxbat may be just a bit wide for the start gantry but I do have a spiced up Impreza I could take ..........

Who do I call for PPR for tomorrow?

Rans6....

rans6andrew
31st Aug 2011, 10:19
PPR obtained, thanks Alan.

Rans6....

david viewing
31st Aug 2011, 12:55
That's a bit of a long walk to Odell isn't it? I lived in the old bakery during my childhood and certainly never explored as far as Poddington. But my family still live nearby and I'd be interested to know more about this strip if you'd care to PM me. Thanks in anticipation.

rans6andrew
31st Aug 2011, 18:40
don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

I flew to the strip at the south side of SantaPod Raceway, this is some distance from Podington village and is actually closer to Odell as the crow flies. Last time I made the visit by air the chap I was visiting lived at the Harrold end of the road, actually in Little Odell I think, in the house next to where the other pub used to be. The walk to there was just 1.5 miles from the airstrip.

Now, he has moved to the east end of Odell, past the church on your left and then look for his place opposite the next turning ish. This puts it a bit over 2 miles from the airstrip and demands the use of a different footpath/lane. It took me about 35 mins to walk in. The return trip was easier as I got a lift to the end of the lane and only had to walk the bit through the wood at the airfield end.

Only downside was I got a nasty bite from a horsefly on the back of my neck. The strip itself is longer than I remember, at 800 meters BUT there is a right of way crossing it about 300 meter from one end and you really don't want your wheels on the ground at the point where it crosses the runway.

Rans6...

chevvron
31st Aug 2011, 20:53
Used to be a strip listed in Pooleys at Sharnbrook, and another clearly visible on sat photos at Odell.