PDA

View Full Version : Civilian Air-Air refuelling?

swashplate
18th Apr 2001, 16:37
Why not??

Reading some of the airline pilots discussions, I am struck by how much notice is placed on loading the correct amount of fuel before flight. 'We'll need an extra 500lbs, cos we might hit headwinds'.

If air-air refuelling was availiable for airliners, could they not take off, and just take what fuel they needed in mid air? The military have done this for 50 years....

Suppose the headwinds were worse than expected. Under present circumstances, we could have an emergency as the 757 (or whatever) runs low on fuel. Wouldn't it be better if they could get to a tanker and fill up??

Would this not be safer???

Or too expensive/risky????

Discuss.........

low n' slow
19th Apr 2001, 13:26
The airlines would have to be very flexible to be able to perform mid air refueling. Thing of the time it would take to take the decission and then set it all up, easily 1 hr. And there's also the safety hazard, don't want to put the pax at more risk then necesary.
I think the safest way to cope with fuel shortage must be to divert to the alternate airport. Just speculations though!
/lns

village flyer
19th Apr 2001, 21:45
Err, I can see where your comming from, a little insane, no?...
Out of interest who is going to pay for the mid air fuel depot? I think there is your answer.. :rolleyes:

VF