PDA

View Full Version : Best Engine

The Range
25th Aug 2011, 08:53
I was just thinking about engines and wondered which engine do you guys like the best between GE, Rolls Royce or Pratt and Wittney engines.

DongJoon Choi
25th Aug 2011, 10:11
I recommend CFM56-7B. It is the best

barit1
25th Aug 2011, 13:12
My fave is any Pratt and Wittney (sic) engine with aircooled cylinders and pistons. And a BIG prop up front. :)

westhawk
25th Aug 2011, 13:27
Best Engine?

Hmm, several possibilities.

The one(s) attached to the airplane you're currently flying of course. (they can hear your thoughts, so be nice) :)

An airframe manufacturer (or airline when given the option) may select engines for a given airplane type based upon several performance specifications. Like any other set of design considerations, there are minimum standards (many of them specified by regulation) to be met or exceeded and there are desired characteristics. As always, the optimal compromise between the factors to be considered is the somewhat illusive goal of the selection process.

A complete list of specifications and other priorities to be considered might require several pages. For a non airline use airframe builder, it may be as simple as installing the engine that best meets the design performance specifications established to meet customer expectations.

Engine selection for an airline fleet is anything but simple. With an airline the bottom line IS the bottom line. Accordingly the question might become: Which of the available engines will best allow us to achieve the financial goals we've established for ourselves? Since those goals are established in the executive wing, the matrix of competing priorities may leave the line pilots and maintenance folks with something they are less than happy with while simultaneously pleasing the CEO and bean-counting cronies to no end.

Therefore, the answer at the top of this post is good as any!

Or you can just choose your brand and support it no matter what.

Put your trust in God and Pratt & Whitney. :ok:

jolly__jumper
25th Aug 2011, 13:58
Pee Tee Six ! :ok:

Bite OK
25th Aug 2011, 14:21
A good engine should not blow into tiny pices in its early life stage :E
preferably would like to see an engine that you just keep adding oil and
flight without any maintenance.

grounded27
25th Aug 2011, 15:27
JT9D a's through q's. Had one take a bird strike on T/O, lost 1/3 of the fan blades, 9 hr flight from saez to kmia and crew did not even know it!

lomapaseo
25th Aug 2011, 15:39
JT9D a's through q's. Had one take a bird strike on T/O, lost 1/3 of the fan blades, 9 hr flight from saez to kmia and crew did not even know it!

I think that we have seen those pictures posted on the web.

Did you fly it with those seat belts through the fan blades :E

grounded27
25th Aug 2011, 17:55
Nahh, different engine. I was though the guy that had to strap the motor for the ferry flight. The straps are legit, have a TSO. Nasty job with sharp edges and pterodactyl bone and guts slung everywhere, there were chunks of bone between 1/2" and 3/4" diameter sticking out of the inlet.

gatbusdriver
25th Aug 2011, 18:04
one that works

Slasher
25th Aug 2011, 18:15
Rolly Rip RB211 triple spooler.

None better.

Humber10
25th Aug 2011, 18:32
Do you really have to ask??? RR Merlin:ok:

Basil
25th Aug 2011, 18:45
For bird resistance: RR Dart.
Went through a flock without a hiccup.
Aeroplane, gear and flaps looked like a butcher's shop.

Also agree RB211 (but perhaps not the 22B)

Big Pistons Forever
25th Aug 2011, 18:48
Best engines

Horizontally opposed piston............ Lycoming O 360

Radial Piston................................ Pratt and Whitney R 2800

Turbo prop.................................. PT 6

Jet ........................................... JT9

Worst engine of all time................. Gypsy Major :ugh: