PDA

View Full Version : Flying an N registered Experimental in Europe

Sam Rutherford
23rd Aug 2011, 16:16
Okay - is this a workable idea, or bureaucratic (and the rest) lunacy?

I have searched the forum, but it produced no results (strangely).

Fly safe, Sam.

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Aug 2011, 16:28
Not going to work.

Most European countries will give you a 28 day or thereabouts exemption for short term operation, possibly extendable to about 3 months.

After that, all bets are off.

G

stickandrudderman
23rd Aug 2011, 20:58
Rather than "Not going to work" I would say "very difficult to make work"

If the machine in question is of an established type of kit or plans built then you have a chance if you want to change its' registration.

A friend and I have imported a Falco, a plans built wooden "complex" aeroplane, and whilst not without challenges it did prove possible to register it here.

If it's a one-off though I agree, "all bets are off!"

Jan Olieslagers
24th Aug 2011, 01:56
ISTR a countryman of mine, who flies an N-registered canard experimental, posted here a couple of times?

Mark 1
24th Aug 2011, 04:21
If there is a genuine reason to want to keep it on the US register, such as a US national on an overseas posting, then it may be worth approaching the authorities for permission. If it's just for convenience, then I doubt that they will be accommodating.

The alternative is to register it locally and gain a national permit to fly according to the local rules and restrictions.

There are quite a lot of imported home-builts in the UK. If it is a safe and established design, correctly built and doesn't have too much imaginitive customisation (read modification), then there's every chance that it will be accepted. You need to do the research first.

A standard ICAO CofA can only be issued for a certificated type. Very rarely a homebuilt can get one if it can be shown to conform to a TCDS (e.g. a standard Pitts that has been verified by the TC holder).

Sam Rutherford
24th Aug 2011, 15:38
Sherpa K650T - do a google if you're into your bushplanes...

My first thought would be that making it OO (Belgian) would be similar to both legs with a nail file - but I could be wrong.

Jan - any ideas on the Belgian who might have an N reg experimental in Belgium?

Thanks for the replies - difficult but doable is something I can work with.

Fly safe, Sam.

PS thanks also for the PMs (which reflect the earlier posts here).

Jan Olieslagers
24th Aug 2011, 16:05
Jan - any ideas on the Belgian who might have an N reg experimental in Belgium?Yes - but if this person doesn't wish to show up, as hoped for, I am not going to do so in her/his place, certainly not publicly.