PDA

View Full Version : Joining the circuit

Ph1l
23rd Aug 2011, 12:28
The post about the DA40 & Vans crash at Shoreham has made me wonder what people perceive to be the correct joining procedure, particularly crosswind joins.

I was taught a crosswind join is over the numbers (as the PPL textbooks say), to radio your intention to join crosswind and report where you are a few miles out so others know where you are and keep listening to what others are doing and where they are.

I noticed a few posts saying that some join further up, following the pattern as though you had taken off, turning downwind at the same point.

I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on this.

Phil

Mimpe
23rd Aug 2011, 12:38
Where we fly you join over the numbers. The problem with joining at the far upwind end is the potential conflict with aircraft on climbout within the circuit.

An abreviated crosswind join is called a "midfield " crosswind, and leaves a shorter downwind leg.

New regulations in Australia allow joining the circuit on down wind or base, but its not really encouraged. Crossfield joins are still the recommended route. The overflight is minimum 500 ft, and in Australia the 1000 ft overflight with descent on the dead side is preferred.

One way to get caught out is if there is a high performance aircraft on a 1500 ft agl circuit without a straight in approach, or a sports aircraft sharing the field on a 500 ft agl slow close circuit.

Lots of variations to watch out for.

bingofuel
23rd Aug 2011, 12:43
I would join by whatever method the airfield publishes as their standard procedure, and in the absence of such published procedure, then carry out a standard overhead join, which will result in joining crosswind for the appropriate runway by passing over the upwind end of the runway at circuit height.

However, there have been many threads re this subject, but the above is what is recommended in the CAA safety sense leaflets.

Whopity
23rd Aug 2011, 12:53
The correct joining procedure is the one stated in the airfield information which is usually a standard overhead join because that is the only one that is published.I noticed a few posts saying that some join further up The crosswind join is perhaps the worst choice as you are crossing any departing traffic without the benefit of having the opportunity to look down and observe the airfield from above. To join further up gives you even less chance of observing the airfield and nobody else has a clue what you are doing. All to often you hear an aircraft report overhead or deadside descending and yet there is no aircraft anywhere near the overhead. It is important to make the right calls in the right place so that other people know where you are, and you have good view of the airfield and any traffic. It is also a legal requirement to report entering and leaving the ATZ; how many do that?

Shorrick Mk2
23rd Aug 2011, 12:56
Switzerland - mid-runway overflight (to check the signals area if any), at circuit altitude + 500 ft, then join mid-downwind with a 90deg descending turn.

France - mid-runway overflight at circuit + 500 then join mid downwind by doing a 270deg descending turn.

Mimpe
23rd Aug 2011, 13:08
If you're crosswind joining at cct height over the numbers theres no way you are going to conflict with any aircraft taking off on a 3000 ft strip. A longer strip ( say 7000 ft or more) and a very high performance aircraft taking off might conflict .

Jan Olieslagers
23rd Aug 2011, 15:07
France - mid-runway overflight at circuit + 500 then join mid downwind by doing a 270deg descending turn. Belgian variant: unless explicitly published otherwise, overhead join at circuit + 500, check signals area, then join downwind (which implicitly means "beginning of downwind") while descending to published circuit altitude. Many will join middle of downwind, though, and some fields have this explicitly published, EBGB for one.

avonflyer
23rd Aug 2011, 15:26
I know its legal, I know sky gods can pull it off BUT, the one that sets my teeth on edge is a right base join in a left hand circuit that is in use and is used pretty constantly by student pilots.

I have no problem with this join when the circuit is empty, in fact I have done it myself. However, I have experienced the gut wrenching feeling of a recently "gone solo" student, who has called position all of the way round the circuit as appropriate, at late downwind, hearing someone call "joining right base" (I was that student).

Probably made me a better pilot, for sure I listen to the radio, mentally picture what's where in the whole area and keep a very good look out. It was, however, a steep learning curve and sobering welcome to the big boys world of the circuit..

bookworm
23rd Aug 2011, 16:42
One of the problems is that the only published procedure (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ga_srgwebStandardOverheadJoinPosterJan09.pdf) for a standard overhead join depicts the aircraft approaching from the live side of the airfield. Exactly what the sequence of events should be if approaching from the dead side is undefined.

For example, should such a joiner cross the centreline to the live side while still 1000 ft above circuit height, before returning to the deadside in a left hand turn? Or is it acceptable to descend from to circuit height remaining on the deadside? In which case what's the difference from a crosswind join?

FREDAcheck
23rd Aug 2011, 16:56
One of the problems is that the only published procedure for a standard overhead join depicts the aircraft approaching from the live side of the airfield. Exactly what the sequence of events should be if approaching from the dead side is undefined.
Yes, inexplicable that none of the diagrams show this, leading to significant confusion.
For example, should such a joiner cross the centreline to the live side while still 1000 ft above circuit height, before returning to the deadside in a left hand turn?
That's what I was taught.
Or is it acceptable to descend from to circuit height remaining on the deadside? In which case what's the difference from a crosswind join?
I think that's a crosswind join, as you suggest, not an overhead join.

When I did that once at Cambridge, ATC had a serious grumble. They made it clear: OHC means pass overhead (or with overhead on the circuit side of you - e.g. if LH circuits then pass with the centre of the runway a bit to the left of you), then turn (if necessary) in circuit direction until you're facing the dead side, cross to the dead side, and only then descend to circuit height while turning in circuit direction.

So if you approach from the dead side, you do a 180 to return to dead side, another 180 while descending to join crosswind, then a 90 to turn to downwind, a 90 to base and a 90 to final. A dizzying 630 degrees in all.

Ph1l
23rd Aug 2011, 17:01
Good point bookworm thats one ive been meaning to ask. It does seem a little awkward doing an overhead join coming from the dead side. I have always done it and changed the way i approached the airfield to allow for it - with low hours id rather stick to what i know wont get me into trouble! But it would make sense to join crosswind instead, only problem with that is if its busy, is someone doing an overhead join on top of you.

rkgpilot
23rd Aug 2011, 17:48
I was taught that you've got to be alive before you can be dead.

So, if you approach the field from the dead side, to properly join overhead, you must first cross the active runway (within the boundary of the field, not on the extended centreline) to the live side at the appropriate OHJ height before crossing back again and commencing a standard deadside descent and join.

If you merely descend on the approach to the field when you just happen to be on the deadside, you are not 'descending deadside' - that is a crosswind join. I've done this, but only when the circuit is empty. I often ask A/G for any known circuit traffic when making my joining call, but of course, there could be somebody around who is not talking.

Standard OHJ is safer in my book.

bookworm
23rd Aug 2011, 18:26
When I did that once at Cambridge, ATC had a serious grumble. They made it clear: OHC means pass overhead (or with overhead on the circuit side of you - e.g. if LH circuits then pass with the centre of the runway a bit to the left of you), then turn (if necessary) in circuit direction until you're facing the dead side, cross to the dead side, and only then descend to circuit height while turning in circuit direction.

Interestingly, I was in the circuit at Cambridge 10 days ago when ATC had a grumble at a joiner who joined crosswind from the deadside when asked to join overhead. It's clear that Cambridge ATC (for whom I have a great deal of respect) thinks there's a difference, but I have a lot of sympathy with those who aren't on the same page.

Personally, I think there's very limited value in an overhead join at a controlled airfield.

JHO
23rd Aug 2011, 18:56
For an OHJ, Joining from the dead side I was taught to fly 1000ft above circuit height (unless otherwise published) to just before the active runway numbers and turn 180 degrees and carry out the standard OHJ from there. Personally I rarely join overhead, I prefer downwind join from the high key point.

2 sheds
23rd Aug 2011, 18:59
Personally, I think there's very limited value in an overhead join at a controlled airfield.
Forgive me if I disagree on that one, bookworm; you cannot make such a blanket statement. It's one of a number of ways to integrate traffic depending on the numbers, types, positions, intentions etc of all involved and most certainly has its uses. At times, ATC has to make a judgement call that joining directly into the circuit could be less than safe; also, it can be used as a tactic to delay an inbound for a perfectly sound traffic reason.

2 s

tmmorris
23rd Aug 2011, 19:07
Certainly where I fly the runway is long enough, and the usual aircraft types have a steep enough climb angle, that anyone joining overhead, crosswind or through initials* runs the risk of coming into conflict with departing traffic as they cross the upwind end of the runway. Visibility is good, so you always know about them, but I've had some hairy moments.

Tim

*a military perversion you only need to know about if flying at a military field, though I think it's in CAP413.

bingofuel
23rd Aug 2011, 19:07
It does seem a little awkward doing an overhead join coming from the dead side.

Not at all. Route to the overhead and orbit in the direction of the circuit until you have seen all the traffic and then commence the descent via the deadside.

People seem to think that you have to descend immediately on reaching the overhead. Not so, you only descend when you are ready and can slot into the existing traffic safely.

As for people who say, 'oh just I prefer to just join this way or that way' perhaps they would benefit from some revision and airmanship!

FREDAcheck
23rd Aug 2011, 19:10
Interestingly, I was in the circuit at Cambridge 10 days ago when ATC had a grumble at a joiner who joined crosswind from the deadside when asked to join overhead. It's clear that Cambridge ATC (for whom I have a great deal of respect) thinks there's a difference, but I have a lot of sympathy with those who aren't on the same page.
In case I wasn't clear, that's what I meant. This was quite a few years ago when I assumed that if asked to do an OHJ from the dead side, it was OK to descend straight away. They were grumbling only because they said OHJ and I wasn't doing it properly.
I agree. But I do what I'm told by ATC unless there's a pretty good reason not to!

AdamFrisch
23rd Aug 2011, 19:21
There are as many opinions on the best/safest join as there are pilots. The correct join is whatever that country's AIP or regulations say it is, good or bad.

NigelOnDraft
23rd Aug 2011, 19:41
One thing that does not seem mentioned above... whichever you join, and whatever you say on the radio, in general you need to arrange your join to "fit in" with the current circuit, and departing traffic i.e. these have right of way over you. Keep clear of the circuit until you can see all traffic, and arrange your join accordingly. If it is too busy, then just keep clear.

If it is "controlled" things might alter somewhat... but everybody needs to be sure who is "controlling" and responsible for collision avoidance.

I find the OHJ a "pain", but there is little to better it for a good look at the circuit, and ability to adjust to fit in...

NoD

Gertrude the Wombat
23rd Aug 2011, 21:18
The crosswind join is perhaps the worst choice
It's quite a good choice for 23 at Cambridge actually as it gives the passengers a decent low level view of the city, you can't quite do this otherwise 'cos of the glide clear rule :)

ATC won't permit it if it causes a problem of course ... but even so they did once hold jet on the runway until I'd got clear.

flyinkiwi
23rd Aug 2011, 23:10
Wow I didn't know that the "standard" overhead joining procedure was so... different between countries.

In NZ its not 1000' above circuit height, its 500'. And the number of orbits above the circuit the pilot makes is not defined. The idea being that you circle above the circuit until you have adequate situational awareness of whats going on below before you commence your join. If you approach from the deadside, you make at least a 180 degree turn before starting your descent.

flybymike
23rd Aug 2011, 23:25
If ATC started talking to me about high keys and initials I wouldn't have clue what they were talking about....

Whopity
24th Aug 2011, 14:36
I know its legal, I know sky gods can pull it off BUT, the one that sets my teeth on edge is a right base join in a left hand circuit that is in use and is used pretty constantly by student pilots. Its only legal if you have ATC and they clear it. If not, its a breach of Rule 12Flight in the vicinity of an aerodrome
12 (1) Subject to paragraph (2), a flying machine, glider or airship flying in the vicinity of what
the commander of the aircraft knows, or ought reasonably to know, to be an
aerodrome shall:
(a) conform to the pattern of traffic formed by other aircraft intending to land at that
aerodrome or keep clear of the airspace in which the pattern is formed; and
(b) make all turns to the left unless ground signals otherwise indicate.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply if the air traffic control unit at that aerodrome otherwise
authorises.One of the problems is that the only published procedure for a standard overhead join depicts the aircraft approaching from the live side of the airfield. Exactly what the sequence of events should be if approaching from the dead side is undefined.
The live side is where the procedure begins, therefore you put yourself on the live side to commence the procedure. You can go around in the overhead in accordance with Rule 12 as many times as you like before commencing the procedure and whilst trying to fathom out the content of the signal square and work out where you are going to go. An "overhead join" commenced on the Dead side is actually a Crosswind Join because you are not complying with the Standard procedure and the place you join the circuit is on the Crosswind leg.

bookworm
24th Aug 2011, 15:17
The live side is where the procedure begins, therefore you put yourself on the live side to commence the procedure. You can go around in the overhead in accordance with Rule 12 as many times as you like before commencing the procedure and whilst trying to fathom out the content of the signal square and work out where you are going to go. An "overhead join" commenced on the Dead side is actually a Crosswind Join because you are not complying with the Standard procedure and the place you join the circuit is on the Crosswind leg.

That's your assertion, Whopity. But the only guidance on the subject, which is not even regulatory in itself, depicts only one arrival direction. How that procedure generalises to other arrival directions is open to interpretation.

But I do feel that in a warming world of £2 Avgas, flying around in circles more than absolutely necessary is something of a waste.

Whopity
24th Aug 2011, 16:21
That's what I was taught many years ago in an aeroplane with no radio.I don't think one needs any regulatory guidance to get to the start point!