PDA

View Full Version : BMI = 37

Bigbangman
12th Aug 2011, 17:01
Hi All,

Been for a class 2 and CAA require a functional flight test for grant of medical as my BMI is 37.:eek:

Does anyone know what this entails, how long it lasts etc or have had to undergo one before ( I can't be only grossly obese pilot out there!!).:uhoh::uhoh:

Probably need to hire a 172 or similar to do test, anyone done one in Midlands and recommend someone that would be good.

For info i'm big build 6.2 and 132kg.

Anyone got suggestions for suitable training a/c that would do me or alternatively a very skinny instructor (lol) that would be great as i guess 152's etc are out:confused:

Thanks in advance

Rod1
12th Aug 2011, 17:53
I had to do that many years ago (not for BMI). Mine lasts forever unless the reason changes. I was told to fly with a CFI, who wrote them a note end of problem.

Rod1

Whopity
12th Aug 2011, 20:24
Normally Med Flight Tests have to be conducted by a FIE. For BMI its usually a check of your functional reach. See your PMs.

Monocock
12th Aug 2011, 20:33
Have you considered losing some weight?

Bigbangman
12th Aug 2011, 20:48
Rod - thanks for the reply:ok:

Whopity -thanks for the reply, you have a PM:ok:

Monocock - yep expected that one!:)

Thanks

gingernut
12th Aug 2011, 21:11
When doctors talk about "functional" it means "can you do it?"

I expect the test will be to do with reaching the pedal's etc.

Good luck.:)

Stephen Furner
12th Aug 2011, 21:34
An 18lb weight loss will probably remove the need for a functional flight test since it puts you from being class 2 obesity into being class 1 obesity, see: Obesity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity)

If you increased your exercise and reduced your calorie intake down to between 1500 and 1700 per day, and then fine tuned your food intake to give you a weight drop of on average 2lb a week, you could get this sorted in only 9 weeks.

A handy online BMI calculator can be found at Calculate Your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator (http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm)

jxc
12th Aug 2011, 21:37
Try the Dukan diet it is very easy and good

Good luck

Pilot DAR
13th Aug 2011, 01:38
While not wanting to sound un-empathetic, I would like to draw your attention to the fact that most GA type aircraft are structurally designed to accommodate a person if 170 pounds. The aircraft is carefully designed to protect it's occupants in a crash. It will restrain and protect in a 170 pound person in a 9G (rather low force) crash. Any amount of body weight above that, and the restraint capability, and capacity to protect you, are reduced by that factor. This is of an added concern, if two large people occupy the aircraft, as some seat belt attach points in the structure are shared between the two front seats.

It interests me that in the loading limitations for an aircraft, their is most often a maximum permissible weight (approved capacity) for anything to be carried, other than a person, and the persons are who we are most trying to keep safe.

Please consider carefully what you are asking the aircraft to do, relative to what it was designed and approved to do. Are you comfortable having much less personal protection than was designed into the aircraft for a person who is described by the standard?

Your ideal training aircraft would be a Cessna L19/O-1 Bird Dog. Though rare, they are out there. They are very roomy in each cockpit, for a light aircraft, and lots of fun to fly too!

MartinCh
13th Aug 2011, 04:33
C172 may still be tight for you, with instructor. I don't have the POH for W&B and max seat weight, but make sure you ask the nearby flight schools, too.

No point going through the hassle of medicals if the schools would not be happy to take you on or able to provide suitable aircraft.

I have partial empathy for you. I'm 200 or bit below, lbs and I'd ideally be below 170 due to R22 max gross limitations, for instructing job, not being limited to students etc. It's not easy to lose more than 10lbs in my case. Not limiting me from flying, but has an impact on my career start options.. Not nice feeling.

If we are faced with hard decisions, we can put high amount of energy into our actions. Losing weight could be one of those. We all understand the desire and passion for flying, aviation.

Hope it somehow works out for you. If not for regular aircraft, check out weight shift control/hangglider trikes. Lots of fun, too.

Stephen Furner
13th Aug 2011, 15:06
A couple of books that might come in handy if you go down the weight management route.

“No More Mr Fat Guy – the nutrition and fitness programme for men”, by Jonathon Savill and Richard Smedley, published by Vermillion London, ISBN 0 09 182595 4

This is a rather blokeish account of how Johnathon got his weight down by 4 stone and what he learnt along the way about how to control body weight. I found the human story woven around what he was trying say, and that it came out of the knowledge and detail of personal experience, for me made this more accessible than conventional weight loss guides.

“Waist Disposal – the ultimate fat loss manual for men”, by Dr John Briffa, published by Hay House, ISBN 978-1-84850-115-7

This handy book takes a medically based approach marshalling the current research about food nutrition, health and weight loss into practical guidance for the man who needs to get better control of his bodyweight.

jxc
13th Aug 2011, 16:45
I have been on the Dukan diet for 5day and lost 7lbs and my father has lost 1stone also he is type 2 diabetic and has not had to touch any insulin