PDA

View Full Version : Decent IFR procedures trainer?

beaver eager
8th Apr 2001, 14:54
Has anyone got any recommendations for a decent programme that would help me to re-vamp my scan.

When I got my first job on the Airlines, my scan was red hot having practised for an hour a day on a FRASCA. The flying school where I instructed used to allow the instructors to use it free when not being used by paying customers.

Anyway, four and a half years later, and having had a command on ATR42/72 and now AVRO RJ100, I feel that my attempts at raw data ILSs are pretty naff.

I know that comparing them to the autopilot is a waste of time and that you don't have to "nail it" all the way down like the A/P F/D does, and that half scale deflection on both G/S and Loc is an IR pass.... but most F/Os can do a bloody good job and my professional pride makes me want to be as good as I used to be when I practised more often. (BTW, despite what I say, I've never had too much difficulty with base checks/OPCs etc.)

I think part of my problem is that when practicing in the FRASCA for those elusive job interview sim rides, you always flew stabilised approaches, but out on the line it's always 160 to 4 DME and then the Gnd/Spd (ROD) and Drift start changing as you slow down and with the large pitch changes as the flaps run, my capacity gets a bit challenged!

Anyway it's nothing a bit of practice won't cure, but I won't hand fly on raw data unless visual and as that happens so rarely in the UK these days (is it ever going to stop raining?) I'm just not getting enough practice. Maybe I just expect too much of myself, I did get quite good at the ATR eventually but it took nearly three years!

Anyway, last year I mentioned to the better half that I wanted a flight sim computer program with which to practice my scan, so on my Birthday, she duly came home with the most expensive program she could find (who could ask for a better wife?), a wonderful program called Airline Simulator Two. It's kin' great, autopilot, ATC, Programmable FMC, checklists, AERAD Charts,etc. In fact everything a nerdy wannabe could wish for when building a virtual career as an airline pilot. The trouble is, I don't want to call for push back when at home, I just want to practice my ILSs. There's so many keystrokes to learn on this program that I just don't have the time/enthusiasm for it and being a BALPA rep for the whole of last year didn't help either! I need something that I can start instrument flying on pretty quickly without spending three years reading the instructions/online help files!

So what do you recommend folks.... and does anyone want to swap Airline Simulator 2 still in it's box (cost about £90 eighteen months ago, I think) for something that will be more use to me?

I suppose I must be more of a nerd than I thought to sit and write all this, eh?

(Posted on Computer/Internet Issues and Questions for maximum exposure to both pilots and nerds - no offence computer Fans, my Wife calls me a nerd just coz' of the time I spend on PPRuNe!)

twistedenginestarter
9th Apr 2001, 18:01
I understand your aim is to get your scan beefed up for manual approaches?

Why not Microsoft Flight Simulator? Gives you all sorts of turbulence/wind/visibility. I think you can disable some of the instruments or make them go dodgy. You also stand the best chance of getting a panel that matches your chosen plane - which is the key thing. It may not be picture perfect - it might be - but it should have the instruments in the right places.

Having said that, I'm not sure why Airline Sinmulator won't do what you want.

beaver eager
9th Apr 2001, 18:30
Thanks,

AS2 probably would do what I want, but I don't have the time to invest in learning to OPERATE the damn thing.

I'm really looking for something that's easy to learn on the computer, bearing in mind that I already know how to fly, I want to turn on and take off with the minimum of reading computer manuals.

Something that's easy to keep repositioning onto a 15 mile base leg for an ILS would be ideal.

Maybe I just need to face the fact that any computer program worth it's salt requires a lot of study to get anything out of it!

------------------
Keep it up!

[This message has been edited by beaver eager (edited 09 April 2001).]

GRpr
9th Apr 2001, 20:28
beaver eager

Have a look at FlitePro by Jeppesen. Available for £89.95 from Transair in the UK. Website for FlitePro: http://www.jeppesen.com/prodserv/flitepro/index.phtml

It is not meant to be anything other than an IFR flight simulator and you can repostion yourself over and over again, wherever you want to your heart's content; and anywhere in the world!

If you run it on a PC with just a cheap joystick you have to accept the limitations of flying as if there is 6" of slack in all the control wires, but good practice for finding your plane has been sabotaged!

I think this is the program you are looking for; you will be up and running very quickly.

[This message has been edited by GRpr (edited 09 April 2001).]

beaver eager
9th Apr 2001, 23:49
Thanks GRpr,

Not too bad a price either.

Do you think that one of these yoke/rudder jobs would be a worthwile addition, I've a sidewinder force feedback pro at the moment but it's a bit difficult to calibrate and certainly twitchy.

------------------
Keep it up!

3 putt
10th Apr 2001, 00:33
Beaver eager,
I've just recently bought a CH flite yoke to run with the jeppy flite pro' software(approx'£100).There is not a whole lot to be gained over using a standard joystick,I also tried using a force feedback stick like your own, but this gave the worst results.The yoke offers a more realistic feel when held,but suffers from the same calibration twitchyness.It took me quite a while to find the right sensitivity setings.In fact I reckon that the lag and twitchy movement actually help to speed the scan up.
The jeppy flite pro' is just what you need to get your scan going again,but I don't know if the simulated a/c(c-172& a36beech) speeds are too slow for what you're used to.There is also the "Elite" software to consider but @£500 or so the jeppy is best value.
It will take a while to get used to,I use every day to keep my scan up to speed.Oh,and don't bother with rudder pedals.

beaver eager
10th Apr 2001, 01:40
Thank you 3 putt,

It looks like Flight Pro it is then - and persevere with my sidewinder for the moment (or maybe even the £5 joystick that came with the computer and got shelved almost immediately)!

Is the database with Flight Pro OK for the UK and Europe. Are all the Aerodromes and Beacons there, and in the right places?

------------------
Keep it up!

3 putt
10th Apr 2001, 22:05
Yep, the data base is very good and everything is where it should be,make sure you order the Euro' version.You will however need your own plates for any particular procedure that you need to practice.On the other hand Jeppy can supply a sim'chart disk with most procedures on it, not current of course.