PDA

View Full Version : Acceleration limits

GSLOC
9th Aug 2011, 17:22
Does anyone know, is there a general threshold for a minimum and maximum acceleration 'g-force' (e.g. from 0.5G to 2.0G) on commercial flight that would require internal or external investigation? I do not refer to an accident as a result of such accelerations, only limits.

Denti
9th Aug 2011, 17:38
If i remember correctly certification requirement is -1g to +2,5g in flight with flaps up and 0g to 2g in flight with flaps deployed (FAR 25 aircraft).

westhawk
9th Aug 2011, 17:50
And if you're referring to event based inspection requirements, a hard landing or severe turbulence encounter will trigger a required inspection which can be found in chapter 5 of the maintenance manual. In older airplane designs, these events were only reported by flightcrew. In later models, human reporting action is supplemented by onboard sensors.

GSLOC
9th Aug 2011, 22:06
Thanx Denti, that's what I was looking for :)

westhawk, do you refer to chapter 5 in boeing maint. manuals?

westhawk
9th Aug 2011, 23:33
do you refer to chapter 5 in boeing maint. manuals?

Any manufacturer maintenance manuals organized according to ATA specification 100. Severe turbulence and hard landings inspections would normally be found in chapter 5 under "special inspections". I have not referred to a Boeing manual in many years, so perhaps a currently qualified Boeing mechanic/engineer could comment further on the special inspections found in Boeing manuals.