PDA

View Full Version : Canine pax

McHover
5th Apr 2001, 21:23
I am heading down to Sydney soon to finally get that yacht I have been talking about, and want to take my 10 year old dog with me. He is very smart, very well behaved, and a real crowd pleaser, but at his stage in life 24 hours plus in a crate would be too much.
As I understand it; if he flies scheduled he will be crated in the hold and I will not be able to make contact with him. Does anyone have any ideas of how I could travel with him - freighters, friendly airlines, racehorse deliveries etc? Help!

[This message has been edited by McHover (edited 05 April 2001).]

esreverlluf
6th Apr 2001, 09:25
I wouldn't be so worried about travelling in the hold. Dogs do it every day - and the little yellow tablets (ACP) work wonders if they are at all anxious!

I would be more concerned about quarantine. Unless your dog has one of the new pet passport type arrangements which have either just come in or are about to come into effect here in Aust (& I believe have been around for some time in the EU), then he will spend 30 days in quarantine.

No aware of any other ways around your problem, unless you pick up your yacht and sail back to the UK and pick him up. Then of course you would have to be careful where you stopped on the way back, lest you incur the wrath of the Australian Quarantine Inspection Service.

If any of that helps then take me for a ride on your yacht when you get here!