PDA

View Full Version : Mental Maths for pilots- any comments

shon7
22nd Feb 2002, 20:42
Recently a friend recommended that I buy mental math for pilots by Cage Consulting? It is of any practical value.

flufdriver
23rd Feb 2002, 05:17
I don't know about buying anything to enhance your ability to do math in your head, however I do believe that it is an asset to any pilot to be able to do some math quickly and confidently in your head, in other words without the use of a calculator.

It will help in many ways, such as staying on a descent profile, checking your weight & balance to see that the figures are in the ballpark adding up fuel quantities etc.

practising those kind of things in your head, will get you used to spot large errors, because you have an idea what the numbers should be, if you train yourselves to do everthing on a calculator and willingly accept the result you might be in for some unpleasant surprises!

easondown
24th Feb 2002, 07:47
Just get the fms to do all the calcs - I can't do maths to save myself !!!

Few Cloudy
24th Feb 2002, 15:33
Agree with Fluff here - there are useful mental tools that pilots can use - specially in tight situations requiring a quick response. Whether a book will help or whether it's better to ask all the old men for their favourites, I can't say.

Anyway, to start the ball, how's about Flight level divided by miles to go = descent (or climb)angle. Descent (climb)angle x mach number = Rate of descent (climb) to achieve that path?

Example - FL260 to be at FL100 within 40 miles. Height to lose (as a FL)160, dist 40 miles = descent angle 4 deg. Mach is .7 at this point, so descend at VS 2,800 fpm. Check again each ten miles (the mach number will have decreased and the height may be a bit off depending on wind) and recalculate. Set the new ROD and do nothing for another 10 miles - easy life!

You can use this in any jet to hit a required profile, though be careful in the climb case as the mach number will increase and the performance may not be there.

Dead Leg...Dead ?
24th Feb 2002, 19:49
Try using a calculator in a 737-2 at night in the descent, no FMS and your map light u/s, no chance! You don't need to be a wizz kid but basic mental agility is a must, and face it, it keeps you ahead of the aircraft which is an added bonus.