PDA

View Full Version : Flying a G reg abroad on an FAA PPL

patowalker
27th Jul 2011, 22:05
Unlike other countries, the UK does not validate foreign licences by issuing bits of paper. It simply includes this blanket validation in the ANO:

Deeming a non-United Kingdom flight crew licence valid
62 (1) Subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), paragraph (2) applies to any licence which authorises the holder to act as a member of the flight crew of an aircraft and is granted:
(a) under the law of a Contracting State other than the United Kingdom but which is not a JAA licence; or
(b) under the law of a relevant overseas territory.
(2) Subject to paragraph (4), for the purposes of this Part, such a licence is, unless the CAA gives a direction to the contrary, deemed to be a licence rendered valid under this Order.
(3) Paragraph (2) does not apply to such a licence if it authorises the holder to act as a student pilot only.
(4) A licence deemed valid under paragraph (2) does not entitle the holder:
(a) to act as a member of the flight crew of any aircraft flying for the purpose of
commercial air transport, public transport or aerial work or on any flight for which
the holder receives remuneration for services as a member of the flight crew; or
(b) in the case of a pilot's licence, to act as pilot of any aircraft flying in controlled
airspace in circumstances requiring compliance with the Instrument Flight Rules
or to give any instruction in flying.

Will the CAA issue a letter stating that under UK law a particular G reg can be flown abroad on a non-UK ICAO licence or do I simply hand the man from the Police de l'Air et des Frontières a copy of the ANO? :)

Fuji Abound
27th Jul 2011, 22:15
The ANO is not relevant because while it recognises flights in UK airspace in a G reg and so do the FAA, the FAA do not recognise flights in any other territory where the license does not match the registration of the aircraft. (unless that is you want to argue that Europe is a country within the FAAs definition, and given that the FAA appear to be on record as not accepting that definition).

In short if nothing else you are likely to invalidate your insurance and your licence if you operate a G reg outside the UK on the strength of your FAA PPL - sorry.

Whopity
27th Jul 2011, 22:53
The ANO is not relevantThe UK ANO applies to a G Registered aircraft wherever it might be; it is to all intents and purposes a small piece of UK territory.the FAA do not recognise flights in any other territory where the license does not match the registration of the aircraft.FAA rules do not apply to a G Registered aircraft! The UK ANO Article 62 quite clearly states that an ICAO licence is rendered valid for the purposes of operating a G registered aircraft. There is no territorial limitation attached to that privilegeWill the CAA issue a letter stating that under UK lawNo they will not. If you require legal advice, contact a lawyer. The rules are clearly published for all to see.

Lasiorhinus
28th Jul 2011, 00:37
Really?

So how do all those United pilots manage to fly their N-registered 747s into and out of countries that arent America?

Fuji Abound
28th Jul 2011, 07:12
Oops sorry for some strange reason i read the question as the old debate we have had on a uk ppl flying and n reg outside the uk :}. It was late!

I agree with the earlier posts.

patowalker
28th Jul 2011, 12:05
Quote:
Will the CAA issue a letter stating that under UK law
No they will not. If you require legal advice, contact a lawyer. The rules are clearly published for all to see.

Thanks Whopity. It is a pity though, because our EU neighbours seem to love official looking bits of paper with stamps and signatures. A page out of CAP 393 will not have the same impact.

Genghis the Engineer
28th Jul 2011, 13:11
Would be a bit radical trying to fly a UK registered aeroplane on a UK issued licence I suppose.

G

patowalker
28th Jul 2011, 13:47
Not worth going for a UK PPL when I fly a permit aircraft and will be able to convert my NPPL SSEA to an LAPL next year, and fly abroad on my FAA PPL in the meantime.

I'm not as green as I'm cabbage looking. :)