PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Pratt PPL Course

Amblikai
27th Jul 2011, 19:33
Hi folks,
So my books arrived! The above mentioned course. Books 2-5 and the Question and answer simplifier. (Book 1 is due a new edition and so the store will send that on when it is available. Good for me as i'm in no hurry!)

I'll begin reading/studying the books at a leisurely rate. But i have some questions.

Obviously there are 7 exams and only 5 books. Are the divisions in the books as clear cut as the exams? In other words which books/chapters correspond to which exams?

Is there anything else i need to begin studying the course? A brief flick through the flight performance and planning book implies that a flight computer would be handy. Should i get one?

Is there a preferred order to study the subjects/ sit the exams in?

For those who haven't read my other thread, i'm planning to begin flight training early 2012 when funds are available so i'm looking to sit the exams in the meantime.

Any comments appreciated.
Thanks.

RTN11
27th Jul 2011, 19:55
Assuming you're doing a JAR PPL:

Book 1 is actually vital to the practical flight training. It contains all the flying exercises, and all the information you need to read before each lesson in order to get the most out of it.

Yes, there is more than 1 subject in each book. From memory, book 2 has both Air Law and Meteorology, and I think Performance is in the same book as the Aircraft Technical.

An old fashioned flight computer will be a good investment. It's the only calculator you're allowed in the exams and is excellent for Navigation related calculations as well as common conversions (meters to feet, litres to gallons etc). You don't need to go crazy spending £70 on a CRP-5. You can get old cardboard ones on ebay which are just as good.

I would also look to get either the PPL confuser, PPL perfecter, or PPL simplifier. All of these have loads of practice questions, many of which will be very similar wordings to the ones you will get in the real exam. A great help when some of the CAA exams are written in a very bad way making a misunderstanding very easy.

There's no specified order, but you will usually be encouraged to take Air Law first, usually before your first solo. From there, it's up to you to decide which exam is more relevant depending on how the practical flying is going (ie taking the nav exam as you begin the practical navigation exercises)

The500man
27th Jul 2011, 19:59
My advice is start with airlaw and work through. Most schools will require you to have passed airlaw prior to solo circuits. Skip navigation until you start flying it because it will make more sense plus you will need a map (which will go out of date if you buy it too soon) and a CRP-1 (flight computer), as well as some rulers etc. I think you need to find out for yourself what would suit you equipment wise, don't just buy a student pack thinking it will contain everything you need. I did just that and ended up buying a fair few things seperately that were more suited. See what your instructors use or recommend first before buying kneeboards/ flightboards and rulers, plotters etc. Don't be too eager to buy things early because you will more than likely buy something which you have no use for later on.

I've not used the Pratt books but you will find several exam subjects contained in each one. For example Navigation and Meteorology are two seperate exam subjects but are included in the same book. The divisions should be pretty clear.

Good luck with it all!

Amblikai
28th Jul 2011, 08:27
Thanks for the replies, i'll start working my way through the air law and operations book (leaving out communication which i assume is J. Pratt's radiotelephony section). That'll give me a chance to get back in to study mode! It's been a while since i sat any exams!

RTN11 - I have the PPL Questions and Answers Simplifier book which goes with the series, it seems to be quite substantial. Would this be the equivalent of the books you mention or should i look into getting another?

I'll also look into getting a simple flight computer such as the CRP-1 as you mention The500man, if anyone has one they don't need let me know!

Thanks again,
Kai.

BackPacker
28th Jul 2011, 09:18
plus you will need a map (which will go out of date if you buy it too soon)

I wouldn't worry about the expense of a map which goes out of date before you start doing actual navigation. It's good practice to prepare dozens of plogs for various routes, weather circumstances etc. before you actually do a navigation exercise.

Compared to faffing about in the air because you're struggling with a concept of something (at 150-200 UKP per hour), maps are dirt cheap.

And I echo the comment about the cardboard flight computer. It's sufficiently sturdy to get you through the PPL and that's probably all you need it for. After that you can always get an electronic one, rely on spreadsheets, use navigation software or "upgrade" to a proper metal one. My cardboard computer is still going strong after six years.

Furthermore, a ruler marked in nm, and some kind of protractor (to measure angles) will be indispensible once you start preparing your plogs.

Plus an appropriate pen or pencil to write on your map: The default CAA ones are laminated so they require pens that will stick to that (and alcohol wipes or something like that to get the markings off). I personally prefer paper maps (Jeppesen VFR+GPS) so that you can use a pencil, and they're easier to fold. But you've got to consider that at your actual nav exam you'll be issued a map by the flight school so it's a good idea to become familiar with that.

tmmorris
28th Jul 2011, 09:21
Good luck with it all. I actually enjoyed the Pratt books (one of them made me laugh out loud, which is good going for flight training materials).

I would agree that you need to get Air Law done first. It will bore the pants off you, mostly, but it's a necessary evil. By comparison, the others will seem interesting. (One thing to watch: you will have to learn ICAO/JAR rules for the Air Law exam, which may be different from UK ones. That caught me out to start with. The principal thing is VFR minima but doubtless there are others.)

Tim

bingofuel
28th Jul 2011, 09:29
Am I the only person here who is amazed that students come on this site asking advice on how to study, what to study and what is required for the course?

What are their instructors doing? Your instructor should be coaching you and helping you with a study plan, what to read and when and what you need so that the exams and flying training compliment each other.

ct8282
28th Jul 2011, 10:02
Am I the only person here who is amazed that students come on this site asking advice on how to study, what to study and what is required for the course?

What are their instructors doing? Your instructor should be coaching you and helping you with a study plan, what to read and when and what you need so that the exams and flying training compliment each other.

Keep up matey. Th OP hasn't got an instructor as they have not yet started their practical training. :ok:

BackPacker
28th Jul 2011, 10:09
One thing to watch: you will have to learn ICAO/JAR rules for the Air Law exam, which may be different from UK ones.

Actually that's the only real gripe I have with the Jeremy Pratt books. Particularly in Air Law he doesn't always make clear what the ICAO recommendation is, what JAR-FCL came up with, and what differences the UK introduced. In other words: What you can expect to be the same, and what can be different, when flying abroad.

From memory, this is something that you need to watch out for in:
- VMC minima, SVFR
- PPL privileges (particularly the restrictions placed on your license when you don't have an IMC or IR)
- Closing of flight plans, the whole concept of a "designated person", parent ATSU structures etc.
- Quadrantal/semi-circular rule
- ATSOCAS
- Listening squawks and other squawks (e.g. 7004)
- Booking in/booking out
- Joining a visual circuit