PDA

View Full Version : A/C Rent in Florida

Joaquín
9th Jul 2001, 14:53
I'm planning to go to Florida at the end of August with 3 friends to build hours, and I would appreciate information about SE aircrafts able to take the 4 of us with baggage.

A twin could be another possibility, but as I will be doing my multi type rating in a Grumman Cougar and suspect this aircarfat is not particularly popular :confused: , chances are that I won't have this option.

At the moment I have 150 hr TT (80 PIC) and hold a JAR PPL and an FAA PPL (I rented a plane in California last Summer). I hope by then I'll have completed my CPL and IR.

Thanks a lot :)

Iceolareanic
9th Jul 2001, 15:39
Have a look at www.floridapilot.com (http://www.floridapilot.com) They are a good starting point, or just browse the internet. Warriors can be quite reasonable to hire out there, but you'd need to go very easy on the luggage!!

GoneWest
10th Jul 2001, 03:47
....and with four persons on board you had better go easy on the fuel, too.

Joaquín
11th Jul 2001, 23:54
Thanks, but an Archer won't do it. I was thinking that perhaps a Cherokee 6. Anybody has addresses of places where I can rent one in Florida?

Thanks

GoneWest
12th Jul 2001, 07:30
I don't know offhand - but I'll do some research for you IF (and only IF) you provide me with the comprehensive list of your experience and qualifications - not including an IMC rating.

E-mail them if you prefer.

Joaquín
12th Jul 2001, 11:03
Gone West,

At the moment just JAR PPL (with night & IMC ratings)with USA license validation. 150hr Total (90 PIC, 52 of which in a rented Archer in California last year).

I'm waiting for the results of my ATPL exams and training for the CPL & IR. Any help much appreciated.

Joaquín
14th Jul 2001, 03:07
Come on!

Somebody must be able to give some addresses down in Florida! :cool:
:)

Puritan
15th Jul 2001, 23:18
W.r.t. twins, you might find it hard to find a self-fly rental twin. The reason being that the insurance premiums tend to be a lot more restrictive than those for singles, i.e. they will probably require that you have, say, at least 50 hours P1 (under supervision, and post rating issue) before they'll let you launch off on your own.

Well that was my experience of it, albeit that it was some ( 10+ ) years ago.

GoneWest
16th Jul 2001, 08:12
Joaquin....I'm guessing that your 150 hours is all in fixed gear single engine piston (correct me if I'm wrong).

IMC rating is worthless in the USA (technically speaking - though bloody useful if you find yourself accidently breaking the law).

I'll do some homework for you - but renting a six seater is not easy at any time...but especially if it's all fixed gear, fixed pitch prop. so far.

Joaquín
16th Jul 2001, 23:39
Hi Gone West,

You're right, up to now, all my flying has been in fixed gear & pitch prop, but as I'm now doing my CPL and soon starting my IR (with a bit of luck I will fish it before going to USA) by the time I would have some 40 hours in a twin.

Thanks a lot for your help. :)

GoneWest
17th Jul 2001, 06:14
Immediate results from numerous colleagues - who are in the game of aircraft rental - has come up with the expected "no chance"...many say they are constantly asked this question.

Snag is that aircraft insurance has become a nightmare in the USA (many flight schools have completely closed down for no other reason than they cannot get insurance).

The magic number seems to be "over six seats" at some companies and "six seats and over" at the others.

I have been looking to hire a PA31 (ten seater twin) for some three years now but - even with over a thousand hours on type, and a type rating - nobody is interested.

I'll keep looking - will ask the next level of friends (FAA employess that visit every school in the district) - but don't hold out much hope.

For the twin (solo), schools seem to suggest 100 hours multi command.

Joaquín
18th Jul 2001, 22:50
Gone West

Thank you very much for all your efforts. Fortunately I've found someone who will rent me a Cherokke 6 in Miami :)

Thanks again

GoneWest
19th Jul 2001, 06:31
Then, please, tell me more.

I've asked numerous people and organisations and all laughed (which was a bit unfair for a genuine question).

However, they ALL said that they knew of nowhere that would rent out a six seat single on the open market.

A few twins were on offer - but not a single.

I'd be curious to know where you'll get it - for future reference.

Joaquín
19th Jul 2001, 21:49
Gone, check this:
www.flymiami.com/deaaircrafttext.htm (http://www.flymiami.com/deaaircrafttext.htm)

Thanks again

GoneWest
20th Jul 2001, 07:09
OK - I went to look. Seems OK on the surface.

Could you tell me what they wanted from you - in terms of experience or fees!!

shlittlenellie
20th Jul 2001, 10:24
In a similar vein, I'd appreciate any information on tail-dragger rental in Florida. Anything including Aeronca Champs,Cubs, Vagabonds, Luscombes or similar.

Thanks in advance.