PDA

View Full Version : Using an old FAA card licence

positionand hold
27th Jul 2011, 13:06
Perhaps one for SoCal?

I've held an FAA licence (issued against my CAA licence) for about 14 years now (so pre 9/11 and pre the FAA photo licences).

Impossible now, but it was issued on the spot at the local KSDL FAA office....

I've moved house since the licence was issued. I told the FAA within their time limit and received an emailed acknowledgement from them. However, my FAA licence still shows the "wrong" address (as does my CAA licence, whom I also notified), so I thought I would get a new FAA photo licence.

I understand the procedure to do this, as SoCal has outlined on another thread, but I'm wondering if I would be "illegal" if I used my existing FAA licence in the US, in the event of an FAA Ramp Check (although I've never experienced one of those!).

S-Works
27th Jul 2011, 13:21
Nope. That certificate is no longer valid and has not been for a very long time.

You will need to go through the process again which will involved paying the CAA £40 for the validation and then tunring up at the nominated FSDO for issue of the certificate.

dublinpilot
27th Jul 2011, 15:02
Even without the address change, I understand that the cardboard licences are no longer valid.

hihover
27th Jul 2011, 15:31
I think you have probably missed the boat, however, you could have a look at the Airmen Certification options on this page:

Airmen Certification - Airmen On-Line Services (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/airmen_services/)

You may find an option open to you.

Good luck.

Tam

BackPacker
27th Jul 2011, 15:45
Be aware that in a couple of years time, all 61.75 holders will have to go through the process again when the new photo-id certs come into existence along with much higher fees.

And are our licenses going to stay "the same" (for FAA purposes) when EASA takes over FCL? Or will they get a new license number or something else so that the FAA no longer recognises that license as "the same" license on which the FAA piggyback was based?

md 600 driver
27th Jul 2011, 18:33
positionand hold

I've held an FAA licence (issued against my CAA licence) for about 14 years now (so pre 9/11 and pre the FAA photo licences).

have the FAA started to issue photo licences i paid my 2 dollars 6 weeks ago and changed my address and i received a non photo one back

just a little note they also included my english speaking on it

steve

i have a full licence not a 61.75

Cusco
27th Jul 2011, 20:07
Unless your new EASA licence bears exactly the same number as the CAA/JAA (delete one) licence the 61.75 is based on (and how likely is that?) your FAA license (actually certificate) will be invalid, and the whole application process has to start again.

Its clearly written on the back of the plastic FAA cert.

Frankly I don't think I can be a rsed to go through that kerfuffle again, any more that I can be a rsed to get a standalone.....

Cusco

Maoraigh1
27th Jul 2011, 20:54
I had a 1987 renewed "for life" CAA licence, whose number did not match my medical ref no. When I moved house on retiral in 2006, I notified the CAA and FAA. The CAA issued me with a new licence, which had the same number as my medical ref no.
This made my FAA licence invalid.
I went through all the hoops again.
But my FAA licence had not been revoked, so I could not be issued with a new FAA licence.
Eventually, as I was standing quietly in the office, taking up valuable space, the inspector consulted higher up, and they decided to revalidate my licence on my new number.
The CAA say we will retain our old licences for flying non-EASA aircraft within the UK. Hopefully the FAA may accept this.
(I only use the FAA licence for short holiday renting in the US)