PDA

View Full Version : Q? for Emirates' drivers and their wives...

Bigocean
21st Nov 2001, 03:50
Hello there;
I have recently made application to Emirates in Dubai. But my wife and I are curious, what is life really like in Dubai? We have read the tourism and shopping websites and it all seems very nice, idyllic even. But everyplace has it's moments...good and bad, and we'd like to hear a few of them if anyone has time to share. Most specifically, my wife is wondering what life is like for a woman in the UAE, we understand that Dubai is a very modern city with few restrictions, but we have not talked to anyone who has actually experienced life there. She is also wondering about the length of Pilot pairings, how much time will she be on her own in a new place halfway round the world? We are Canadian, and have a 7 year old son.
She'd love to hear from any Emirates' pilot's wife at [email protected]
I'm curious as well, will 8000 hours and an A-330 rating put me in good stead with the selection board at Emirates?
Thanks in advance for your time...

Obi Wan Kirk
21st Nov 2001, 15:21
Hi Bigocean,

I was in Dubai last year with my wife to check the place out. I have friends that fly for Emirates and we stayed with them. My wife loved the place. There is a very big expat community and Emirates also have a pilot's wife club, so your wife will have plenty to do.

Roster wise pilots are not away very much, maybe 4-5 night stops per month.

As far as child education there are excellent schools in Dubai and the fees are paid by Emitates.

Overall a nice place to live for the family.

Good Luck!