PDA

View Full Version : Private flying in USA on foreign licence?

YPJT
26th Jul 2011, 06:53
Just wondering how difficult it is these days to hire and fly and aircraft in the US on a foreign (Australian) licence?
In Australia, they just about killed it with the security requrements although it is now somewhat better than a few years back.

Appreciate any info or specific FAA links to look at.

IO540
26th Jul 2011, 07:57
You walk into an FSDO and get yourself a 61.75 validation of your ICAO license.

AdamFrisch
26th Jul 2011, 08:29
SoCal will be along shortly as soon as he's woken up and set you straight...;)

172driver
26th Jul 2011, 10:33
No ASIC in the US :ok::ok: !!

BackPacker
26th Jul 2011, 11:09
Start here:

Airmen Certification - Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating, or Medical Certification (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/)

YPJT
26th Jul 2011, 13:16
Thank Back Packer:ok:
CASA could certainly take a couple of leaves out of the FAA's book.

172driver
26th Jul 2011, 13:35
CASA could certainly take a couple of leaves out of the FAA's book

They probably could/should. However, from a foreign pilot's POV, the worst thing is the ASIC, over which they have no control. I've been through the whole rigmarole a couple of years ago.... :ugh:

YPJT
26th Jul 2011, 23:24
172 Driver, PM me regarding ASICs I may be able to help. ;)

SoCal App, Thanks very much. That is great info and easy to follow up on. :ok: My last hurdle will be the fact that because of defective colour vision my class 1 is restricted to Aus airspace only.

YPJT
28th Jul 2011, 11:29
I just checked my medical and since on the most recent renewal they have removed the wording "valid in Australian airspace only" and instead written "Holder does not fully meet requirements of ICAO Convention Chapter 6 of Annex 1"

Might be something in that?

The only other restrictions I have are:
Not valid for ATPL operations and Reading Correction to be available.

sasben
29th Jul 2011, 01:09
When my Aussie medical expired (and I had an FAA cert based on my CASA license at the time), I went and got a Class 3 medical in the US and the FAA gladly accepted that on my records and allowed me to keep my license based on foreign privs.

Process for doing this with a class 3 medical:
1) Pay CASA to release your information, where you specify FAA at Oklahoma.
2) Wait 2-3 days, call CASA and check if they have sent your details to the FAA
3) Wait 4-5 days, Send form to FAA to validate your foreign license
4) Wait 10 days. Call FAA and see if they have your paperwork
5) Book AME appointment with a doc. You will need to provide an address where you can be reached in the USA. Cannot be a hotel and if the address changes, you need to notify FAA pronto.
6) Get class 3 issued
7) Go to FSDO with log book and Aussie license. Book an appointment prior. You'll get a paper license
8) Call FAA and change your address to your overseas address
9) FAA will mail out a full cert to the address on your file.

YPJT
29th Jul 2011, 08:51
Thanks very much SoCal and sasben. :ok:

BackPacker
29th Jul 2011, 14:37
The FAA may well deny the application as soon as CASA report that it is not fully ICAO compliant.

It's not the license that's not ICAO compliant. It's only the medical that has that annotation. At least, that's how I read it.

I would assume you would be fine with an FAA PPL piggybacked on your CASA license, plus a standalone FAA class 3 medical. Of course, assuming that you can get an FAA class 3 medical in any case, considering your medical condition. (They put that limitation on your CASA medical for a reason, after all.)

If you go to an Australian AME that also deals with professional pilots, you may find they're also able to do FAA medicals. It may well be worth it checking with them whether you qualify for an FAA class 3 medical and if so, what sort of restrictions that might carry.

But to be honest, this is really something that you might want to get expert advice on, instead of relying on a few anonymous blokes on some internet forum. Why not call the FAA about it?

mikewebb
7th Feb 2014, 23:31
It's just about hopeless. I am currently going through the process and about to give up!..it's a joke!.
First you go to the FAA site and download a heap of forms to send to them together with a copy of your licence. You would need to phone them to confirm they have received them..they won't ask you!.The FAA then send a letter to CASA for confirmation of the copies you sent them . (In my case they lost them somewhere). Then you pay $50 for CASA to confirm your information to the FAA ( That took another month). Then you will eventually, if your lucky, get a verification letter from the FAA to take to a local FAA Flight Services Office (FSO) of your choice for the issuance of a Temporary Airmans Certificate. In my case that FSO has decided they cant do it until further notice as they are too busy and I now have to find a delagate!!!!. If you make it this far you can start booking flight check etc..

olasek
8th Feb 2014, 00:41
Not sure why would be so difficult with Australian license since it is relatively easy with the Polish license. A friend of mine just recently went through this process, initiated his paperwork (which may take a few weeks) while still in Poland, then he arrived in the US, got his 3-rd class medical, went to the nearest FBO, scheduled a ride with a CFI (it is not an exam) and was able to rent aircraft later the same day.

AirborneAgain
8th Feb 2014, 10:28
During a visit to the US in the 80's, I walked into a FAA office with my Swedish license and walked out less than half an hour later with a FAA license.

Of course, this was before the time of the Terror Laws.

BackPacker
8th Feb 2014, 15:52
The FAA then send a letter to CASA for confirmation of the copies you sent them . (In my case they lost them somewhere). Then you pay $50 for CASA to confirm your information to the FAA ( That took another month).

Most of this is due to Australian privacy laws. The FAA cannot just phone up CASA and verify with CASA that your details are correct. You have to sign a waiver that CASA is allowed to release that information to the FAA. (And CASA then apparently charges $50 for the work involved.)

More and more countries are now getting stricter privacy laws, which I consider a good thing overall. I would not be happy for the Dutch authorities to release my details to anyone who phones up and asks.

olasek
8th Feb 2014, 19:59
Of course, this was before the time of the Terror Laws. Actually per my understanding Terror Laws changed little in this respect. They drastically changed situation for those seeking flight training in the US but if you want to utilize your existing foreign license and just fly in the US the TSA laws don't impact you.

Sam Rutherford
9th Feb 2014, 16:36
If you are having any difficulties - they'll be down to the AUS side - the FAA side are really easy, efficient and completely free of charge...

Fly safe, Sam.