PDA

View Full Version : Thorney Island Fly-in

YossiDahan
25th Jul 2011, 19:59
Thorney Island opens its gates to GA again for two days in September this year.

It was originally planned for 17 & 18, but the date has changed to 3&4, so I promised Daryl, who kindly oversees this, to post the updated details.

I found this PDF (http://www.eghf.co.uk/images/stories/Documents/Others/Thorney%20Island%202011%20-%20Fly%20In%20-%20Invitation.pdf)with all the details, but do take not of the change of dates, those on the PDF are now INCORRECT.

See you there

JOE-FBS
30th Aug 2011, 15:58
Bump and latest instructions extracted from a PDF I received from the organiser a couple of days ago:

Fly in to Thorney Island
September 3rd & 4th 2011
An Event Raising Money for
Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SAFFA) Royal Artillery Charitable Trust
All Single Engine Piston, Balloons, Foot Launch, Microlights, Helicopters.
INSTRUCTIONS for PILOTS
Rule No 1:
Under no circumstances are you allowed to have an incident or accident while you visit us.
Runways
290/110 – 450 meters usable in the mid section, some lose stones, rough patches, and tough at east end
PLEASE FLY A LOW PASS FIRST TO INSPECT, it Fun as well as serving a Safely purpose.
010/190 – 700 meters usable, surface good (Preferred Runway) LAND SOUTH OF THE ROAD that INTERSECTS THE RUNWAY! – Check it out on Google Maps!
23/05 – not in use
Circuits To the West on 010/190 To the South on 240/050 1000 feet QNH (QFE & QFN are almost identical at Thorney) Please fly the circuits off the coasts and avoid overflying Homes & Horses on Thorney Island Joining Standard Overhead Join, when descending dead side do this over the water NOT over the homes on the Island please. If you’re flying to the south and the tide is out look out for the seal colony, it’s a real sight to see!
Radio
Blind Calls on 135.475 (Safety-Com) FLY - VFR – LOOK OUT of the Window all of the time you are approaching and in circuit
VFR: We really mean this, LOOK OUT! and just remember that when your instructor was briefing you about circuits they told you all about the people coming in on the wrong runway, the guy who calls finals from Cherbourg, the chap who barges in, the guy who does not know left from right, the bully who lands by pushing on in rather than go around and many others. I am sure they are all on the guest list for this fly in, so if you do see them in circuit please do us all favour, make sure YOU avoid them. We will congratulate you on great airmanship; the other chap probably already knows he made a mistake. Unless you’re an instructor please do keep your council. There is only one rule.
Some of the locals rarely see aircraft at Thorney Island, if you would be willing to offer a short Circuit or local flight to those attending, which would be very kind of you. Let’s share our love of flying.
Fly Safely

I Love Flying
1st Sep 2011, 11:03
Could be a good one to have in the log book. Anyone thinking of going?

JOE-FBS
1st Sep 2011, 11:45
All being well, I'll be there for a couple of hours on Sunday afternoon.

Various Flyer people are planning to be there on Saturday.

I guess there are some pilots out there who aren't devotees of either forum (difficult to believe I know!).

Whiskey Bravo
2nd Sep 2011, 09:42
Have fun everyone who is going... Bournemouth Flying Club did a fly out there recently, here are a couple of videos from the event.

Thorney Island Fly out - Part 1 - YouTube

Thorney Island Fly out - P2.wmv - YouTube