PDA

View Full Version : Definition of night

Ally1987
8th Jul 2001, 18:56
Where can I find the definition of 'night' in JAR or UK CAA documentation, please?

Cahlibahn
8th Jul 2001, 20:57
Air Navigation Order, Article 129

'Night' means the time from half an hour after sunset until half an hour before sunrise (both times inclusive), sunset and sunrise being determined at surface level;

compressor stall
9th Jul 2001, 12:55
That rule would provide some interesting expereinces closer to the equator. It's pitch black well before 30 mins after sunset! :eek:

Tinstaafl
9th Jul 2001, 15:05
They don't use Oz type daylight/darkeness graphs here, just tables of sunset/sunrise + the looooong twilight allowing the 30 min time interval.

Ally1987
9th Jul 2001, 16:06
Thanks to all who replied. As it was I bumped into someone at work last night and found it in Article 129 of the UK ANO.
Fortunately it confirmed what I thought!

Speedbird252
10th Jul 2001, 00:52
ICAO Annex 6 Definitions page 3

Night:

The hours between the end of civil evening twilight and the beginning of morning civil twilight or such other period between sunset and sunrise, as may be prescribed by the appropriate authority.

Nothing civil about mornings.......

Regards.

Tinstaafl
10th Jul 2001, 04:27
Very true, Speedbird.

The dawn should be seen at the end of one's day, not the beginning.

Luftwaffle
10th Jul 2001, 07:50
I've always liked the phrase "in respect of any place where the sun does not rise or set daily" in the Canadian definition of night. I just imagine the confusion on the part of people who take daily sunrises and sunsets for granted.