PDA

View Full Version : Turbulance..your views

Flame
8th Jul 2001, 18:48
I am very interested in hearing the views of pilots on turbulance from a safety point of view and on their worst experiences. Do they worry about it, or is it a major problem.

slam_dunk
8th Jul 2001, 19:14
Turbulence is quite an issue in modern aviation.
Passengers don't like it; they sometimes get scared.
Pilots try to avoid it, obviously, to serve the pax a smooth ride.
Most of the times it's not dangerous unless it's (moderate to) HEAVY turbulence. As a pilot you better make sure the pax are strapped into their seats, otherwise people get thrown around.

Basically there are two kinds of turbulence we look out for:
- Clear air turbulence
- Turbulence associated with (cumulus) clouds

The first one is most of the time hard to avoid, the second one we try to avoid by using the weather radar (and by looking outside).
Another way of avoiding turbulence is by warning other aircraft on the inter-pilot frequency about turbulence and the significance of it. (Especially over the Atlantic Ocean that's a common practice)

;) Slam_dunk

Flame
9th Jul 2001, 04:10
Slam-Dunk;
Thanks for the reply, but how dangerous do you rate Turbulance in a modern aircraft or is it just an uncomfortable ride..? :eek:

McD
9th Jul 2001, 04:58
As far as "dangerous", do you mean to the aircraft structure? Surprisingly, aircraft can endure an enormous amount of turbulence, even HEAVY, without significant structural damage. (If you've ever seen video of aircraft going through structural integrity test, you'll know what I mean. The amount of flex in the wings is eye-watering!)

The real "danger" of turbulence is what happens INSIDE the aircraft. Loose items flying around, or worse, PEOPLE bouncing off seats, other people, and even the ceiling. I remember one flight (can't remember the specific carrier) in which the seatbelt sign was on, an announcement regarding turbulence was made, but some people didn't take notice ... all of a sudden, they encountered the turbulence and several people ended up with broken bones, simply because they didn't comply. That is why it is so important to heed the instructions from the cockpit and cabin crew regarding seat belt usage. And, as you already know, it's often impossible to predict every turbulence encounter, especially in clear air. That's why it's wise to leave your seatbelt fastened when seated, even if the seatbelt sign is off.

HugMonster
9th Jul 2001, 11:28
New Year's Eve last year, NCL-BHD...

What I would call intermittent moderate-heavy. At one stage, one of the hosties turned round to see the other sprawled in the aisle looking like Bambi, there was red wine across the roof. One mother travelling with small son was having trouble with him throwing up continually. When he stopped, she asked for a glass of water, which went all over him, then she started throwing up. When I was given the "Cabin Secure" call, the hostie came up and just looked at me - the front of her uniform was soaking. "Gin and Tonic," she said.

We had tried our best to keep out of it, and it was not structurally dangerous. It was, however, very uncomfortable in the back, and the belts sign was on. I had warned the Cabin Crew, and left them to decide whether or when to suspend service.

Incidentally, the next time I was flying with that hostie, we were given a "Turn hard right NOW" by ATC due mil traffic suddenly pointing straight at us. I complied, a few G&T's crossed the cabin, and the hostie came up and said "I think you do it on purpose!"

Cos
10th Jul 2001, 08:31
I thought that turbulence can pose a threat of stalled wings which increases with altitude and speed. Is it not the case that crews descend not only to avoid turbulence, but also to get to an altitude where the wings are less 'critical'?

Flap 5
11th Jul 2001, 11:49
It's the difference between high speed (mach) buffet and low speed (stall) buffet. Modern aircraft will inform the pilots what the max altitude is for the weight and temperature, so it is not difficult to keep well within limits. A problem could arise because the computer predicts the temperature at altitude by using the standard ISA temperature decrease with altitude. If it a lot warmer than predicted at altitude things could get a little tight - but you should allow for that.

Flame
11th Jul 2001, 23:40
Hey Guys;

I take it from the replies...that Turbulance is just a discomfort and no one worries about it

scanscanscan
13th Jul 2001, 17:44
I recall a Thia Airways aircraft landed in Istanbul with an injured Male passenger, broken back, due turbulance.
The captain was arrested and jailed, at his trial several months later,the judge had the weather map and it showed CAT in the area of the incident, The Captain was guilty as he did not have the seat belt sign on, as there was a clear warning of CAT.on his weather chart.
I understand he was fired and his pension fund of £72000.00 was taken from him to cover the costs.
Balpa observed his trial in Istanbull and had an artical in the Log on it. I was always seat belt happy after that,if pax ignore it said you are covered.