PDA

View Full Version : Flying in the US (UK PPL)

Flamin_Squirrel
20th Jul 2011, 13:36
Hi all.

I'm heading to Michigan this September and am considering doing some flying while I'm there.

I hold a UK issued JAA-PPL and from searching it seems the easiest way to fly in the states is to get myself a FAR 61.75 cert.

This will mean I don't have to worry about TSA clearance, medicals or visas, or specifying an FBO before I go. I was initially considering getting my night rating while I'm there, but I don't think FAR 61.75 will let me do this as it involves training?

Ensuring adequite insurance seems to be something to watch out for as well. Anything in particular I need to be looking for?

Obviously it will depend on the FBO, but it seems I shouldn't count on headsets being provided?

Lastly, as I've not flown in the states I'd like to get a feel for how things work over there, such as flight following, air space etc. Can anyone recommend any reading material?

Many thanks my naive comments, just want to make sure I've not missed anything!

mcgoo
20th Jul 2011, 14:49
You shouldn't have a problem with the night qualification as its not a rating, its just 5 hours flying, TSA is only required for an initial certificate, multi or IR or type rating, people will argue otherwise but you wont need a visa either, I would just complete the night qualification as part of getting used to the US and flight review.

Provided the instructor signs off the night training, and you meet the requirements, the CAA will add it.

mcgoo
20th Jul 2011, 17:43
Remember, there is no such thing in the FAA as a 'night qualification' as it is encompassed in the basic Private cert.

Correct but the OP has a JAA PPL and wants to do the night qualification whilst in the states, as long as he gets the 5 hours signed by the instructor to include, 3 hours dual, 1 hour dual nav, and 5 take off and full stop landings whilst PIC, the CAA will add it.

Flamin_Squirrel
20th Jul 2011, 20:25
Great stuff, thanks all, especially SoCal.

As always these things are always more complex than they initially seem so I'm glad I asked!

humhaw
20th Jul 2011, 22:43
Can anyone recommend any reading material?

Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/)

More at

Handbooks & Manuals (http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/)

I'm heading to Michigan this SeptemberWhere in Michigan if you don't mind me asking? I will be there also in Sep and intend to fly also.

I have tried to fly there in the past, long story but I would not recommend Solo Aviation Inc (http://www.soloaviation.aero/)

Mark 1
21st Jul 2011, 04:09
I was in the Troy/ Auburn Hills area for a couple of months not long ago.

I discovered Ray Community Airport (http://www.go2ray.com/).

A great little flying community, owned by the airfield tenants. Cheap gas, friendly EAA chapter, flying school (with a Pitts S2).

It's a big state with a lot of airports, but if you're anywhere near them, I'd suggest checking them out.

Flamin_Squirrel
22nd Jul 2011, 05:57
Hi humhaw,

I'm staying in Mt Pleasant.

Flamin_Squirrel
19th Aug 2011, 15:45
Hi guys, just got a couple of follow up questions:

Do you need a FAR 61.75 cert in place before you can carry out a Flight Review?

Once you've carried out the Flight Review, I assume that it's logged so you don't have to do it again should you use another FBO later on (just need a shorter checkout)?

stevelup
19th Aug 2011, 17:52
One way of doing it is:-

Make an appointment in advance with the local FSDO and go there when you arrive in the US. They will check all your paperwork and issue you with a Temporary Airmans Certificate.

Then you go do your Flight Review and the instructor will endorse your logbook to confirm that you have done it. They write an entry like:

"I certify that blah, private pilot, certificate number pending, has satisfactorily completed a flight review of section 61.56(a) on (blah date)."

You're legal to self-fly from that point on.