PDA

View Full Version : What do i need for airline sponsorship??

Golf-Kilo Victor
6th Mar 2001, 23:22
Hi all
im 16 and just about to do my GCSE's and its coming up to choosing what i want do at college, so could anyone out there give me some advice?

I am going to take 11 GCSE's and i hope to pass most of them as i am quite academic. I was thinking of takin Maths Physics and IT at college as i assumed that these would be important qualifications they would look for. Do these sound about right for airline sponsorship? is there something i have overlooked? please help

GKV

Jetdriver
7th Mar 2001, 01:14
LUCK !

Sorry if the answer is a little glib, but luck does play a big part. There again so does determination, and examination results may be a reflection of the latter (or the former :) )

Maths, English, Physics, and science based subjects are obviously very important as these subjects form the basis of most aviation related subjects. However when your application sits in a stack of hundreds, the better the grades in any subject, the more likely you are to get through the filtering stages.

Airline sponsorship is a good aim, but bear in mind there are very few on offer. A good clutch of examination results will always stand you in good stead if you need to approach your goal from another direction.

Whenever I talk to other pilots about how they got into aviation the answers are as varied as the individuals. However the one thing that always seems to be an ingredient is luck. I wish you lots of it.

...and because I should have tried harder at English....

[This message has been edited by Jetdriver (edited 06 March 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Jetdriver (edited 06 March 2001).]

Speedbird 2946
7th Mar 2001, 03:38
Jetdriver is dead right! People get into aviation through every possible avenue.. and GOOD on them all!!

Maths, Physics and IT at A-Level sound fine so long as you are able to do well in them all. No point doing too much and getting lower grades for three as against two. Do you see what I mean?

For GCSEs get English, Maths, Physics and a foreign language if you can... and go for those A*!!!

Work hard and your efforts will help place you better in the maze which is sponsorship hunting!

VERY Best of luck!

Speedbird 2946

smallfish
7th Mar 2001, 17:18
GKV

As one of the lucky few I can only speak from my own experience. Your choice of GCSEs sounds spot on to me, stick to the maths/physics combination and you won't go far wrong. Don't overlook other aspects of your 'personal portfolio'. You should be thinking about joining a flying/gliding club by now if you haven't done so already. Dedication and enthusiasm are the key to it.

smallfish

Golf-Kilo Victor
7th Mar 2001, 23:04
OK people dont worry, i know that to get airline sponsorship you have to be a jammy git so if that fails, theres always ATC or aeronautical engineering or something, and im already at a flying club (for a bit of free publicity its CFS) so there should be no probs......at least i hope not...

GKV