PDA

View Full Version : FE to pilot retraining- is it worth it?

basil fawlty
3rd Jul 2001, 01:43
I am a flight engineer, 33 years old with 1100 hrs. All the airlines will no doubt change aircraft to 2 crew types in the next few years. I would like to continue flying, but the new JAA system is really too much of a commitment for me in terms of time and finance. Is there a realistic chance that I could get a job with a mainstream airline? As far as piloting qualifications go, I already have an FAA commercial, multi, instrument with 310 hrs t.t. However, I am a UK citizen, and I guess that this is of little use with my current level of piloting experience. Are there any ex FE's out there that have retrained as pilots? (ex BA FE's I know about) If so, how did you go about it? Who are you flying for now? Also, in general, what experience level would I need to make use of my FAA CPL outside the USA?
This is a real dilemma, so all advice welcome please!!

DownIn3Green
3rd Jul 2001, 14:42
If you have an A&P that would be a real asset as that license alone could off set your lack of pilot hours for certain jobs.

Why don't you consider getting yourself an FAA CFI (very easy to do) and then work at the same school for 6 months or so to build your hours.

Then I don't know about the majors, but contract flying will no doubt be utilizing 3 crew a/c for years to come.

When I am looking for new crew for the 727, the emphasis is on a highly skilled F/E with an A&P (someone who is getting harder and harder to find these days). The F/O can really be any warm body with a license and some common sense. (sorry guys, don't mean to put you down). In this case, I could accept you in the right seat with your A&P and F/E experience, despite your lack of a thousand hours, and relax the requirements for the hard to find F/E...

Just a suggestion.

Good Luck.

CaptainSquelch
4th Jul 2001, 03:21
Basil,

believe me, it is worth the trouble. The longer you wait, the older you get and the harder it gets. So get on with it while you can. You have the advantage of knowledge.

Good luck

Sq (Ex F/E now B737 capt.)

scanscanscan
4th Jul 2001, 23:49
I have flown with several L1011 Flight engineers who then became my copilots in Gulf Air (all nationalities.)
However in todays world may I suggest if your ambition is LHS heavy jet airline pilot, then befor you invest one penny more of your money in further flying licences you first have a good indepth medical and importantly a good in depth Psyco DLR medical test both tests for jet pilot.
Haveing passed the DLR test is probably today and in the future going to be of the utmost importance to you in getting on with the airlines.
I think you now need to do the DLR and pass that first.
Simply really wanting and grafting and spending your money on a pilot career for 15 years to find yourself terminated in twelve hours because your airline introduces a two doctor DLR test, with no recourse if you fail it, could give you an Psyco. attitude!!

Flap 5
5th Jul 2001, 00:28
Some of the best F/O's I have ever flown with used to be Engineers or Flight Engineers. It is invaluable to have someone in the cockpit with an in depth knowledge of the aircraft systems in the event of an unusual failure, and how often do you get a 'usual' failure? - only in the simulator in my experience.

33 is certainly not too old to start. That is about the age I converted from helicopters to fixed wing - and I had my jet command by the time I was 38.

Speedbird48
5th Jul 2001, 06:16
I changed over at 46 and retired at 60 to be an Inspector. I had an A&C also A&P/IA and they all help.
I ended my flying as a training Captain on the 146/Avro RJ.
So what does that tell you, Go for it!!

basil fawlty
9th Jul 2001, 23:35
Many thanks, all of you, for your comments and advice. My main question remains however.
What are the prospects for utilising the pilot qualification that I already have?? (FAA) There is no way that I can invest £40k+ in a JAA license (due to the fact that I have a mortgage and an ex wife to pay for, plus I would probably struggle accepting and absorbing all that theoretical b**ls**t along the way!) For example, with reference to the expense, £3000ish is a complete rip off for a week long JAA MCC course as far as I'm concerned. Just a few years ago this was taught for free during line training and called 'airmanship'! This could form a thread in itself but I cannot justify all this time/expense in order to get a position flying a regional turboprop, or night mail flights for a fraction of my current pay! Are there any options open that will accept an FAA certificate, and take account of my flight engineer experience??

springbok449
10th Jul 2001, 01:16
Go for it! I know a few ex F/E who are now F/O plus with your experience as a F/E you have an advantage on other folks when it comes to going for a job as you have already worked in the environment.
When I did my course there was 3 guys above 30 and one who was 44 and they all have a flying job now so don't worry about the age. As mentioned above, the longer you wait the older you get...
Good luck.
Bokkie449