PDA

View Full Version : novice let loose on 744 sim

keendog
5th Mar 2001, 12:49
I may in the fairly near future be lucky enough to get a couple of hours on a full motion 744 simulator. I have only a few hours towards a ppl!
Can anyone help with sites for check lists, cockpit layout or anything else that will help me prepare to make the most of this opportunity, such as flap and gear speeds on approach, target descent rates, how to interpret the ILS (I am only familiar with needle types.
Is it pitch for speed and power for descent rate on something as big as this?
Finally, (although no doubt I won't get this far)how exactly does an authothrottle work?
Any help would be very gratefully received.

BigTimeWannabe
5th Mar 2001, 17:14
You should look into a book called 'F;ying the big jet' it's pretty much 744 specific. Lots of detail etc.

Have fun!

BTW

twistedenginestarter
6th Mar 2001, 15:15
Also look on www.aerowinx.com You can download images of the instruments if you want to just get used to the displays.

Two hours will go pretty quickly. Take-off bit of general handling then landing under different conditions and your time's up.

Speeds vary tremendously according to weight so you'll need the bloke to tell you your settings.

I suggest you should fly without auto-anything to get the maximum enjoyment.

dingducky
6th Mar 2001, 15:58
http://www.meriweather.com

------------------
Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are
perfect

AffirmBrest
7th Mar 2001, 15:28
Don't worry about checklists/speeds etc. - you shouldn't see it as a training exercise or a test...just have fun! If you have a good instructor there with you he/she should deal with all the boring bits and just let you have a good time. Try:

Seeing how quick you can do a circuit
Seeing how quick you can take-off from LHR 09R and land on 27R
The old Kai Tak approach

anyone else got any others good 'uns?

------------------
...proceeding below Decision Height with CAUTION...

Cornish Jack
8th Mar 2001, 14:50
If you have any options offered to you, ask for Sydney (YSSY) the default R/W is (I believe) 16L. After lift-off turn left downwind, descend (with the two white-collared C/Bs above the Capt's head pulled) and admire a close view of the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge. Alternatives are Capetown (CPT) for Table Mountain, JFK for the Empire State, World Trade Centre and Statue of Liberty or Sondestrom for the run up the fjord.
Sim scenery designers are a group of mega clever chaps. Thanks fellas for many hours of visual pleasure !! :) :)

JT8
10th Mar 2001, 05:21
Keendog,

Dont worry about the technical details - just go and enjoy.

I've been lucky enough to do 4 hours in a B744 and 2 in the B777 - great fun :)

Just remember you're sat 20 feet up in the flight deck so flare before you would in your cessna! My first landing was a little rough (as in there was no flare at all).
The funniest part was watching the instructor trying to show me how it should be done and bouncing it twice (good thing i had my belt on - the motions quite good!)

BTW, I had just got my PPL at the time and managed 3/4 good landings (as in i didn't break the aircraft)in my first session :rolleyes:

Enjoy my friend! :)

JT8

JB007
10th Mar 2001, 13:54
Is it the BA SIMS @ LHR/Cranebank ?

If it is you'll probably be flying with Lucy who does all the SIM work for them - you'll have a ball...!!!!

------------------
Hear All...See All...Say Now't.

[email protected]
(I'm away for a while!)

DOC.400
12th Mar 2001, 20:21
Get used to a glass cockpit on FS98.
Have fun!!

Cold Soak
16th Mar 2001, 04:41
If you've got FS2000 go here http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk/ and download the 747-400 sim. It costs about £10 for the aircraft and panel but its" As real as it gets." Its a great tool for familiarising yourself with the automatics/fms and layout of the 744 including overhead panel and systems.

Voodoo 3
19th Mar 2001, 18:50
Try flying between the Trade Towers in New York or under the Golden Gate bridge. Don't worry about hitting anything as you can just reset the machine if it all goes pearshaped.

What_does_this_button_do?
21st Mar 2001, 17:37
Kai Tak is supposed to be deleted from all CAA approved sims..........

Shucks!, no fun :-(

EDDNR
22nd Mar 2001, 03:01
Kai Tak is supposed to still be in the sim, it's just that it has a "secret" airport code as VHHH got pinched for Check Lap Kok and you can't physically fly from CLK to the old airport in the sim as it ain't there anymore. The nice graphics around the old airport (Kent fags ad etc) have gone, but if you type in the engineers ICAO code, there it is.

Well at least that's what I've been told.

Rod