PDA

View Full Version : PPL Exams Expire or not

GOYNARY
11th Jul 2011, 16:51
Sorry to post what is probably a silly question and first time post here so please take it easy.
In 1989 I did all my PPL in the UK flying passing all the exams and did every thing up to but NOT completing the GFT and NFT as it was then.
This was just a case of running out of money at the time as I was an underpaid Full Cat Gliding instructor working professionally, I have over 1000 hours or so as an instructor.
So my question is now I want to go back and get my PPL I was thinking I would have to do the exams again over here get my medical and then go to the states to do the flying as a three week course or so.
“Are my exams for life so once passed always credited to me” or will I have to do them again.
I am not trying to get out of any thing and will in fact do a full JAA PPL flying course in the states as I know its good practice, I know I will be happy with my actual flying other than my judgment skills will be some what down which is only to be natural.
Thanks for your assistance and look forward to hearing from any one who may be able to assist.

mcgoo
11th Jul 2011, 17:00
You will have to do them again, the exams are valid for 24 months once all of them are passed.

BEagle
11th Jul 2011, 19:09
Why waste money on going to America to do the whole course again? Most of the US PPL puppy-farms will just take your money regardless of your previous experience....

Whereas all your previous flying should be accountable towards a JAR-FCL PPL(A), so all you would need to do is to pass the exams and take sufficient refresher flight training to pass the PPL Skill Test. Much cheaper to find a suitable UK school to do this with - and very probably much better and more relevant training as well!

GOYNARY
11th Jul 2011, 19:21
JAR ? thats interesting that you say that I wonder which school you may recomend or were thinking of ???
Thanks for your input by the way

GOYNARY
11th Jul 2011, 19:23
Ahh I thought as much but was not able to get it confirmed any where, I thought it would be like my Ham Licence once you hav epassed them there yours for life. I could see how the flying would be different but thought as I say I have passed them so why do i need t do them again.
I thank YOU also for your helpfull input.

SDB73
11th Jul 2011, 19:25
I did something similar, although not quite as much time had passed.

Give Steph or Adam a call at Great Circle, based out of Full Sutton. I can highly recommend them as one of the few organisations who really understand how to get you from A-B, rather than just wanting to go flying for hour after hour, without much of a plan.

I got in touch with them, and redid all of my exams in a week, and got back up to speed on my flying, and then took my skills test within about another 4 days.

Whopity
12th Jul 2011, 20:22
I agree with Beagle however there is one little gotcha:(1) Training commenced prior to
1 July 1999 according to national regulations
will be acceptable for the issue of licences or
ratings under national regulations provided
that training and testing is completed before
30th June 2002 for the applicable licence or
rating.Thus someone might claim you previous experience no longer counts.

In 1989 PPL exams were only valid for 12 months for licence issue.

I sugget you do the exams again, follow Beagle's advice, take the Skill test and get you application in before EASA takes over.

GOYNARY
13th Jul 2011, 09:48
Thanks to you all I have now at long last taken the plunge and been up to my local flying school after much thought and seeing as I have weekdays free for the foreseeable future I am going to hook up with the school to do my flying.
The school were fantastic and VERY helpful they have taken a copy of my log book and what I have done and sent it of to the CAA with a recommendation to see what they say I need to do to complete my PPL.
They seam to think I may get a few hours back which would be good as it all saves time and money not that time is a problem.
So once that comes back I will be doing my exams again with an intensive course as the school takes 18 weeks of night school do my medical and then go flying.
It has taken me a while but after doing all the sums about going stateside the only conclusion I have come to is that going stateside almost gives you perfect weather for say a 3 week course if time is of the essence if in y case I am retired and have all the time i want then I may as well stay home sleep in my own bed eat my own food drive my own car and not pay out to the airlines to get there and what I save goes on the cost of doing it over here in the country that I am going to do most of my flying in.
So from here on in I will look forward to sharing my experiences with the school and my come back to ppl flying in the UK.
Now where is that Forum that says they have spare seats to sit in and see if I have forgotten the lot Anywhere in Bucks is fine as just down the road from Booker. However happy to travel to get back in the air. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif