PDA

View Full Version : A shot in the arm

kevmusic
9th Jul 2011, 15:26
I think I needed one. Like in the 'What's Happened to Me?" thread I was despondent about flying. Every time I found the time to fly I needed to go dual first just to get current. I wasn't thinking or daydreaming about flying. I lost enthusiasm for PPRuNe, and when I did come here I was peevish and paranoid (sorry, Al! :O) and couldn't contribute anything sensible or positive. (Perhaps I never could, but I felt I couldn't....)

Unlike the OP of that thread I couldn't say that nothing had happened to cause it. The lady who supported me during the long years of frustration and who organised the final push towards my PPL, and who even videod me opening the coveted package from the CAA, passed from my life last December. She was the first to share in my triumphs and failures and listened patiently to my tales. There is good reason for a lack of heart. But something had to be done.....

I was browsing aircraft groups and shares available on the UKGA website: all to expensive and mostly for the 'wrong' sorts of aircraft anyway, when one caught my eye. It was a 10th share in a Luscombe, local, and the figures spoke to me. Long story short: I saw it, asked questions (gleaned from PPRuNE!) and had a quick flip. I then got my old instructor to look over it, which he did, very thouroughly; asked a few more questions, and now I'm in! The heart is beating again; I fantasise about the trips I'm going to make, and best of all: I can pose beside the cockpit leaning my arm on the glossy metal painted cowling and say she's one-tenth mine!

A 1/10th share doesn't sound a lot, but half the share-owners are non-PPL sleeping partners, and flying mid-week, as I do, there is excellent availability.

Finally, here's a nice video of a Luscombe cavorting splendidly at Old Warden:

YouTube - ‪Luscombe 8E Silvaire G-BRUG displays at Old Warden‬‏

Genghis the Engineer
9th Jul 2011, 15:41
I'm a long term fan of syndicate ownership, as well as of older and more interesting flying machines.

Sounds to me that you've done exactly the right thing. Enjoy her.

G

Cusco
9th Jul 2011, 18:48
Great move Kev:

And when you're slipping the surly bonds in your great little Luscombe your good lady will be right there beside you with a huge grin on her face.........

Cusco;)