PDA

View Full Version : Paphos Aircraft rental

Flyinganaes
7th Jul 2011, 09:49
Hi
Does anyone know if it's possible to rent a light aircraft for an hours flight in Cyprus? Preferably from paphos airfield. I'm going for a holiday and would love to fly out there if I can. Thanks

ColdWarWimp
7th Jul 2011, 13:20
Griffon Aviation do rentals from Paphos.

They will, of course, want to check you out in tha a/c you want to use.

On the negative side an engine failure in Cyprus would give you serious problems, there are no big green fields to choose from and the max altitude over most of the island is 3,000ft below controlled airspace.

Paphos airport one end, Larnaca the other, and Akrotiri in the middle!

CWW

sammypilot
8th Jul 2011, 08:47
I flew in Cyprus some years ago whilst on holiday. As I always do when flying in a foreign country, I used the services of an instructor (Hirer would require at least a check out anyway.) He had done all his training in the UK so the patter etc was familiar. There were a few points of note. There were no aeronautical charts available so the instructor used a road map onto which he had transposed the airfields and VOR's etc. He had also clearly delineated the Greek and Turkish airspace as deviation into the Turkish bit didn't go down well. The aircraft was a PA28 Archer but as Avgas was either very expensive or not available it was flown on Mogas which reduced it's performance somewhat. Once you have made a flight around the island there isn't a lot more although I understood that a flight to Egypt was a possibilty (not advisable at the present time.) A very pleasant experience.

Flyinganaes
8th Jul 2011, 19:27
Thanks Guys. I'll let you know how I get on. I will use an instructor. It's just to get it in my logbook and have a pleasant flight really. Cheers

Fieldhawk
8th Jul 2011, 19:34
Sorry to change the subject, a little - Are the Shackletons still at Paphos and, if so, what condition are they now? Thanks.

ColdWarWimp
9th Jul 2011, 18:36
The Shacks are parked near the West end of the field on a disused taxiway.

Nobody seems to know who owns them, and certainly nobody cares for them.

Sad!

CWW

Flyinganaes
1st Aug 2011, 15:29
Hi Just an update. I hired a 172 with an instructor for an hour and had a great flight. Very welcoming and very friendly all round. Thanks for the tip CWW.

trex600
29th Aug 2011, 22:13
How much did it cost for an hour with instructor?

StevenH510
30th Aug 2011, 19:32
Cyprus is a lovely island to fly around, I too went up with Griffon a week ago, great staff and a fantastic atmosphere, I went up in the PA28 though as my flying experience circulates around the Pipers,

As for the Shacks, I read up on this while I was over there, because sadly they look so abandoned, but as far as I'm aware they are under ownership thats keen for them not to be scrapped, I'll look for the link and post it when possible.

As for a fly away, and if you can afford it, Beirut is an option!

Also on a clear day, you can see the Trident still on the taxiway at Nicosia

Sergios Charalambous
13th Jul 2019, 01:52
Hello
Does anyone know where i can find a 4 seated sep aeroplane to rent in Cyprus?