PDA

View Full Version : Kannad PLB - XS-4 or XS-ER?

mr_rodge
6th Jul 2011, 13:25
Afternoon all,

I'm on the lookout for a PLB. The Kannads are, at present, the cheapest I've seen. From what I understand the XS-4 is not buoyant without a pouch and operates for half the time that the XS-ER does. You can replace the XS-ER battery yourself, as well. Upon further investigation, I have read that the XS-ER stands for 'Extended Range'.

The XS-4 is 100 quid cheaper and still does 121.5 and 406. They both have GPS. Why the extra cash? My intention was to just buy the XS-4 and perhaps the belt pouch to keep it on me at all times throughout flights over water. Or perhaps the neck strap and buoyancy pouch so that should I drop it after activating, it won't sink or drift away.

Does anyone know if there's anything in the 'Extended Range', or will it be irrelevant for the water crossings I will make? (100nm max.) I should imagine that the 406 would get through anywhere, regardless of the device's quoted range, whereas the 121.5 may struggle when further away from land. Am I right? Will the 'Extended Range' come into play here?

Now for the interesting bit. There's a PDF on Kannad's site regarding the XS-4 here:

http://www.kannad.com/include/telechargement.php?id_contenu=246&fichier=1

And another for the XS-ER here:

http://www.kannad.com/include/telechargement.php?id_contenu=251&fichier=1

Under the technical info for the XS-4, there is a statement to the tune of:

"A XS-4 PLB is not an ELT or an EPIRB and does not meet the regulatory
requirements for an ELT or an EPIRB"

There is no statement of any sort on the sheet for the XS-ER. Thing is, the PLB is something that I would like to keep for many more years of happy flying (Unless I have to use it), so does this statement affect it's legality in any countries that require PLBs if no ELT present etc?

I had a good search around on the forums and found many a subject emphasising the need for a PLB but nothing on which one to get.

Thanks for reading.

IO540
6th Jul 2011, 13:29
I have no idea what that bizzare XS-4 disclaimer means.

I have had the -ER for a few years. Haven't used it in anger yet and hope to never do so, but its' a nice compact unit, and the GPS position report is IMHO worth having.

patowalker
6th Jul 2011, 18:02
Not so bizzare: a Personal Locator Beacon is not an Emergency Locator Transmitter or an Emergency Position-Indicating Radio Beacon.

Netherlands AIC-B EN 07/08 provides an explantion:

According to ICAO Annex 6, ELT is a generic term describing equipment which broadcast distinctive signals on designated frequencies and, depending on application, may be automatically activated by impact or be manually activated.
An ELT may be any of the following:

Automatic fixed ELT (ELT-AF):
an automatically activated ELT which is permanently attached to an aircraft.
Automatic portable ELT (ELT-AP):
an automatically activated ELT which is rigidly attached to an aircraft but readily removable from the aircraft.
Automatic deployable ELT (ELT-AD):
an ELT which is rigidly attached to an aircraft and which is automatically deployed and activated by impact, and, in some cases, also by hydrostatic sensors. Manual deployment is also provided.
Survival ELT (ELT-S):
an ELT which is removable from an aircraft, stowed so as to facilitate its ready use in an emergency, and manually activated by survivors.

PLBs (personal locator beacons) are not ELT, so they are not an alternative, especially not for aeroplanes and helicopters with an ELT mandate. A PLB will not be activated by impact and is not crash-proof. Moreover in the databases of rescue co-ordination centre (RCC) there is no connection between an aircraft with information about the maximum number of occupants and the specifications and registration of the aircraft.

IO540
6th Jul 2011, 18:18
Yes but no handheld unit will be G- activated.

Neither of those two will meet e.g. FAA requirements, which are an installed ELT.

But both should meet the regs that are met with a handheld 406MHz unit, no?

astir 8
6th Jul 2011, 18:39
Flying gliders around the Cairngorms etc I have an XS4. Where I go it goes, so whichever glider I'm flying, it's still attached to my parachute harness.

A G activated beacon attached to a specific glider? - sod's law would dictate it wasn't that glider I was flying if the doodo ever hit the fan. And I'd prefer the chopper came looking for me personally rather than for a (hopefully) empty heap of crumpled glassfibre.

I tried to work out the difference between the Kannads before buying. The only significant one seemed to be £100. The XS4 may have minor drawbacks but has to be way better than nothing!:ok::ok:

patowalker
6th Jul 2011, 19:35
But both should meet the regs that are met with a handheld 406MHz unit, no?

But what aviation regs are met with a handheld 406Hz unit?

IO540
6th Jul 2011, 20:27
I thought some European countries (UK, France?) are happy with a handheld ELT to meet their ELT carriage requirements.

patowalker
6th Jul 2011, 21:04
France recommends a PLB in gliders, permit aircraft and microlights, if an ELT is not available, but then ELTs are not mandatory in those types.

http://www.fai.org/system/files/annex_b_-_france_-_406mhz_beacons.pdf

I don't know where a PLB meets the requirement to carry a beacon.

flyme273
7th Jul 2011, 17:03
As I understand it, the problem with a fixed g operated unit is that it requires 5-6g to set it off, which is probably a non-survivable incident.

The other problem is that if ditching it goes down with the aircraft.

Personally, the specification and reputation of the AME MT410G with strobe looks attractive (battery life claimed is 7 years).

flyme

patowalker
7th Jul 2011, 18:21
On the other hand the French suggest that an automatic ELT is useless in a microlight, because even in a crash there is no guarantee that it will be activated. Meanwhile, the Dutch require an ELT in foreign registered microlights, in spite of requests for them to allow PLBs instead.