PDA

View Full Version : Trans Atlantic Ultra light!

Speedbird48
30th Jun 2001, 02:29
Whatevere happened to the nut with the ultra-light that was to cross the pond a few weeks ago? From the TV interview I guess he was English and had got to Saint Johns, Nfld.

pigboat
30th Jun 2001, 05:56
Don't quote me on this, but I think he got caught in a catch-22.
An ultra light aircraft cannot exceed xx lbs. MTOW (dunno the figure) and then it becomes a light aircraft. As a light aircraft, to attempt a North Atlantic crossing, it has to carry a minimum amount of equipment before the Canadian authorities will ok the departure. When "the nut" installed the long range tank, he exceeded the upper limits of the ultra light weight limitation, and became a light aircraft. He can't carry the necessary equipment required for a light aircraft on the ultra light, and if he removes the long range tank to lower his MTOW to ultra light limits, he can't carry enough fuel to complete the trip.
That's how I heard it.
Looks like bureaucratic utopia. :)

Speedbird48
30th Jun 2001, 13:58
Thankyou. It seems that the bureaucrats might have just saved someone.
The Canadian rules for single engine crossings and the required inspection probably let him survive to fly another day.
I had also wondered how he was going to get around the weight rule.

Code Blue
1st Jul 2001, 22:08
I think pigboat's assessment is correct. He was stuck in Stephenville for 3 weeks and couldn't get the problem fixed sufficient to allow him to even fly to St John's.

He packed up and went home last week.

------------------
-.-- --.- -..-
[email protected]