PDA

View Full Version : SEP Rating Revalidation <-> CRI Rating

XX621
2nd Jul 2011, 09:27
Could someone please confirm if a successful flight test for issue of a CRI rating automatically revalidates a soon-to-expire SEP Class Rating assuming minimum hours over previous 12 months achieved?

Many thanks

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Jul 2011, 09:35
No it doesn't (and the answer was probably on your CRI syllabus:})

You need 12 hours including an hour with an instructor.

However, given that you needed 10 hours SEP in the year before starting your CRI course, the course includes 3 hours with an instructor - and they are probably also an examiner, you should surely have done the 12 inc.1 required for validation and can just ask your FIC from the CRI course, or failing that any resident examiner at the school, to sign for your revalidation.

But it is not automatic.

G

Whopity
2nd Jul 2011, 09:43
Interestingly an unsuccesful flight test, if at least an hour, would count as your dual flight for revalidation purposes however; the self signing autoamtic certificate of revalidation is not with us yet!

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Jul 2011, 09:46
I recall having to revalidate my SEP which expired a couple of months after passing my CPL Skill Test, and transferred straight from my PPL to CPL. But it was purely paperwork.

"When the mass of paper equals the mass of the aeroplane, the aeroplane will then be permitted to fly" (common saying at RAE Farnborough when I was an apprentice there.)

G

Whopity
2nd Jul 2011, 11:17
That's an interesting one because a CPL skill test is also a Class Rating test on the class used for that test. JAR-FCL 1.150(b) Conditions. An applicant for a CPL(A)
who has complied with the conditions specified
in JAR–FCL 1.140, 1.145[ ][,] 1.155[ ][, 1.160,
1.165,] 1.170 [and, if applicable, 1.010(a)(4)]
shall have fulfilled the requirements for the issue
of a CPL(A) including at least the class/type
rating for the aeroplane used in the skill test

You must be familiar with the RAE Mousetrap that used to reside in the Officers Mess at Farnborough!

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Jul 2011, 11:50
So far as I could tell, because the SEP class rating was extant, and not new with the CPL, I still needed to revalidate it. The new validity page issued by CAA was blank and didn't contain a new "valid until" date.

I regret that I was never important enough, whilst RAE still stood, to be allowed in the Officers Mess. Do tell about the mousetrap.

G

Whopity
2nd Jul 2011, 12:52
The mousetrap was built by RAE apprentices to represent what the RAE would have produced if the MOD had required a Mil Spec Mousetrap. It was about 15 inches long by about 9 inches square and contained more gears than a Vulcan bombing computer. It did work! It sat proudly in the Bar for many years.