PDA

View Full Version : CAP722 and how to influence it?

lovegroove
1st Jul 2011, 19:52
I'm not too sure which forum this should go in or if it even belongs on PPrune, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway as I'm sure that some people from the CAA probably frequent this forum.

I was just wondering how one would go about trying to influence CAA policy with regards to light UAV's. It appears that no accredited body yet exists to give policy advice and I feel that the current regulations aren't suited to the hobby/amateur end of the spectrum and the BMFA and LMA are clearly not interested in taking on this role.

I'm trying to get together a group of people to form a working group to discuss the possibilities of adding a further category of 'ultralight UAV's' below 5kg MTOM, that could be operated for commercial purposes (aerial photography and inspection) with fewer restrictions.

I also think that as it currently stands, certification process for both operator and vehicle require some modification. For example, the current requirement to hold a BMFA B license in order to pilot a light UAV; Under CAP722, aerobatics are prohibited, yet the BMFA certification concentrates on the ability to fly an aerobatic routine.

There are many other aspects of the current policy that I would like to discuss, but I'm not sure of who I should attempt to contact at the CAA to further discuss this.

I know that there are already working groups set up by EUROCAE, but I am more interested in light UAV's that will not come under EASA regulation.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Phil

FlightPathOBN
1st Jul 2011, 22:52
There is an active group on LinkedIn related to CAP722. The comment period has just expired with the final version due....

Industry as well as hobby groups are well represented.

grounded27
3rd Jul 2011, 02:53
So far other than 500 lb regs on ultralight aircraft, UAV's are governed by military usage and not subject to any CivilAA rules.